GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Anyone detail their own 3GS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-12, 10:29 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Anyone detail their own 3GS?

I've been obsessed with detailing the exterior of my car for a few months now, and I've been wondering if anyone else is the same about theirs? What are you methods and what products do you use?

Here are the products I use step by step, and i absolutely love the results.... Water just beads up and falls off the car pretty much (videos to post whenever I have the chance).

1. Any brand CAR soap
-Using two bucket method to clean the car, a water only bucket to rinse the dirt off the sponge and a bucket full of soap (minimizes scratches on the finish of your vehicle greatly).

2. XMT Speed Clay claybar + XMT Speed Clay Lube
-Pretty straight forward, spray lube, rubadubdub clay bar on car, clean off with microfiber cloth.

3. Klasse Sealant
-Use a pad, applying a THIN layer throughout the car, let it all dry to a haze, and clean off (takes a while, and whatever's UBER stuck onto the car, i just use the wax to clean it off).

4. Optimus Spray Wax
Using a Porter Cable 7424xp (A bit overkill, but worth it). I apply a small amount of the wax onto the car, and when it looks more watery than white, i let off, clean off with microfiber cloth throughout the whole car.

So far my results have lasted 3-4 months really well, like I JUST got it detailed the other day. I reapplied 2 and 3 coats of klasse sealant onto the car for more UV protection (a bit overkill, but when I post the video you'll see why I did it...I LOVE the results).

So, it's your turn guys and gals, if you detail your car, tell me your products and steps! Because if there's anything better out there (and not an outrageous price) I'm willing to try and play when my gallons and gallons of supplies run out (I can post pics and get more into details with buffing pads and whatnot if any of you are interested).
Old 03-22-12, 10:37 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ONR 2 bucket method with lambswool mitt

Meguiars mild clay with ONR

Porter cable:
Prima swirl
Followed by Prima amigo
Followed by Prima finish

By hand:
Followed by your choice quality filler
Followed by chemical guys 50/50 wax
Old 03-22-12, 10:39 PM
XxGoKoUxX

what pads do u use? I use the ones from autogeek.com, they worked great IMO for me I'm still afraid of polishing the vehicle... Soo nervous i almost shat my pants trying to get those minor scratches off my doors. I ended up just using the klasse and wax over and over and filled in the lines pretty much (they're very very fine micro-lines.

P.S. what do you mean by choice of filler?

Last edited by XxGoKoUxX; 03-22-12 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-22-12, 10:52 PM
joeker
Racer

I forgot where I got mine from but I usually polish with orange pads using swirl and amigo. I finish up with white pads for finish. If you wanna fill in lines, Prima banana gloss works pretty well. You should check out the detailing section here
Old 03-22-12, 11:04 PM
XxGoKoUxX

I really should joeker I didn't know our community was into that kind of stuff, I thought I was the only one lol. (i'm usually a DIY person with EVERYTHING).
Old 03-23-12, 03:46 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

People think I'm **** about cleaning my car. I'm no where near as obsessed as you guys. Simple stuff but consistent. I wash twice a week with Turtle Wax Zipwash. Been using it over 20 years. It's mild but cleans well. One bucket, start at the top and work my way down.
Every other month I wax it with Meguire's carnauba. I've tried the really expensiver waxes but always came back to Mequiar's. Once a year I use Mothers cleaner wax to clean the paint. Since I get mad compliments for the car, with many saying that it still looks new...I must be doing something right.
Old 03-23-12, 08:29 AM
InvisibleM
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zaino Ultimate Protection Show Car Kit

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=3

stuff is so class and easy to apply.

if you dont know about Zaino, google it for comparisons or read the testimonials.

its all that will ever touch my GS again!
Old 03-23-12, 10:43 AM
socal3gs
Driver

Bought the PC kit with M105/M205 from Phil at detailersdomain, but too many rain recently in SoCal and I can't get to work on my car yet. Sealer I use Zaino and it's an awesome product
Old 03-23-12, 10:48 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by Ice350
People think I'm **** about cleaning my car. I'm no where near as obsessed as you guys. Simple stuff but consistent. I wash twice a week with Turtle Wax Zipwash. Been using it over 20 years. It's mild but cleans well. One bucket, start at the top and work my way down.
Every other month I wax it with Meguire's carnauba. I've tried the really expensiver waxes but always came back to Mequiar's. Once a year I use Mothers cleaner wax to clean the paint. Since I get mad compliments for the car, with many saying that it still looks new...I must be doing something right.
About your one bucket method, try using the two bucket method and see how nasty the "water" bucket gets. That's all the debris you're re-rubbing on the car.... I don't know if you'll notice it, but try to watch your car glisten in the sun, you'll see a swirl or very very light scratches on the car .

As for hte meguir's carnuba, it's a great product for what it is but the really expensive waxes (the ones are are 45$ for a meguir's sized bottle) they DO work better, but you unfortunately need an average buffer (100$) and pads are are around $7-8 a piece, in the end it's really worth it! If you really haven't tested this out yet, look into trying a sealant, you'll love the results! It also protects the clear coat of your vehicle . A few months ago I was far from a believer when it came to claybars and all these other brands of nonsense waxes, until my friend taught me the art of detailing. The results are just phenomenal, now my car shines and glistens more than his car because i'm soo **** about a clean exterior.

Originally Posted by InvisibleM
Zaino Ultimate Protection Show Car Kit

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=3

stuff is so class and easy to apply.

if you dont know about Zaino, google it for comparisons or read the testimonials.

its all that will ever touch my GS again!
Zaino is good stuff. And for the price they work amazingly. I just didn't agree with leaving that stuff on overnight, just something that's a waste of time IMO. If you have tried other combinations, you should definitely, MOST definitely give it a go! I spent 4 hours on my car from top to bottom with the methods i ran by up top, but the end result, i didn't have to wait the 6-12hrs like most people do before i can drive the car
Old 03-23-12, 11:36 AM
patricksr5
Pole Position

Your 2 bucket method is interesting, I will have to try it. I use Zaino products also but I have also tried Wolfgang and BlackFire products from AutoGeek. I especially liked the BlackFire Wet Ice over Fire products the last time I detailed my Black Corvette. I use a Flex XC 3401 Orbital Polisher over the Porter as I found the larger orbit of the Flex gave me a better shine than I could achieve with the Porter. I use an orange pad followed by a grey or white pad.
Old 03-23-12, 01:41 PM
XxGoKoUxX

I highly reccomend the 2 bucket method... If you truly wanna take it to the next level, try buying the bucket and strainer from autogeek... That pretty much keeps the dirt on the bottom. Most definitely do it and report back with results! (along with pictures if available).

I was told to order the flex... How do you like it? Im still deciding on which polisher to purchase (the portcables a friends and hes telling me to go flex).

Also, have you tried the sovereign wax? Thing is amazing!!

I will also post up video shortly of the beading action of the klasse sealant ive used
Old 03-23-12, 02:23 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Here's another vote for Zaino. I've used it for 12+ years and on about 25 cars (from white to Smokey Granite Mica). Terrific products! I will give kudos to Meguire's Ultimate Compound - the best product by far for taking away swirls and minor scratches.

-Wash car
-Clay car
-Meguire's ultimate compound
-Zaino All-In-One (some use other Zaino base products but I like AIO).
-3 to 5 coats of Zaino Z2.

Read the instructions at http://www.zainostore.com
Old 03-23-12, 02:44 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey guys, am I doing the right steps here?

I..
Wash
Clay bar (do I rinse the car after claybar or no?)
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (remove swirls)
Meguiar's NXT 2.0 tech wax
Old 03-23-12, 05:27 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by energie8
Hey guys, am I doing the right steps here?

I..
Wash
Clay bar (do I rinse the car after claybar or no?)
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (remove swirls)
Meguiar's NXT 2.0 tech wax
1)Wash with the dish washing soap DAWN
2) Clay bar
3)Wash with car wash soap
4)Polish/Wax

Do this for the first time or after a couple years. Do not wash your car with dish washing soap. You only want to do it when you want to remove all previous wax and start a clean layer. Clay bar only 3-5 years or so. And make sure you lubricate the surface when you claying. You can seriously scratch your car with it is not done right.
You can wax as many time as you like after a regular car wash. I like to wax twice a year. In the Fall before the Winter I wax to protect against the road salt. In the Spring, I rewax.
Old 03-23-12, 05:34 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 121 Posts

I love doing my own detailing on my car. I've used Zaino since my 1st car and absolutely love it.
Here's my process

1)Wash with Dawn. (Only done on the 1st time to remove previous wax)
2)Clay (Only done on the 1st time)
3)Wash with Zaino car wash
4)Z2 polish with ZFX accelerator
5)Z6 gloss enhancer (Also act as a bonding agent which helps on laying)
6)Z5 swirl remover polish
7)Z6 gloss enhancer
8)Z2 polish with ZFX accelerator
9)Zcs clear seal
10)Grand finale
Yes, all this can be done in a day. Takes me no longer than 6hours. I wash the car when it's dirty but the polish/wax really help avoiding water spots after the rain. Sometime I spray it with the gloss enhancer and wipe it down. That's it!

This is the first time using the steps above with my new GS.

Quick Reply: Anyone detail their own 3GS?