GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

iPod Connection Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-12, 10:18 PM
Thooktrash
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod Connection Issue

I've got a strange problem. Looking to see if any here can provide some guidance. Just purchased a used 2008 GS350 with the ML audio and Navigation. It appears someone at some point installed an iPod connection line in the glove box.

I plugged it into my iPod and it charges and plays music but......there is no dedicated input selection for the iPod audio from the factory audio console. In other words, if I select AM radio and play the iPod (by hitting the play button on the iPod itself) the AM station will still play very quietly in the back ground (almost inaudible) at the same time the iPod audio is playing (which is at normal volume). If I select FM the same thing happens. If I select DVD the same thing happens. I have not been able to find a sole input for the iPod audio.

The frustrating thing is I have NO idea what system was installed, when it was installed or by whom it was installed.

Is there some combination of button pushing on the cars audio controls that will eliminate the background audio and only allow the iPod audio through?

I know this is a stab in the dark but I really don't feel like hauling the dash out to see what's going on back there.

Thanks!

Last edited by Thooktrash; 01-15-12 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-14-12, 05:40 PM
silverone
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my ipod kit was pre-installed and set to the SAT input on the ML system. On mine there is a AM/SAT button that toggles between them. you can try this and see.
Old 01-14-12, 10:02 PM
Thooktrash
Driver School Candidate

I tried the AM/SAT options, the DVD/Aux option, holding down Audio plus DVD for a while and a few other combinations. Weird thing is it plays the iPod audio, but it also plays what ever source I have selected at the same time, albeit at a much quieter volume.

I looked for a brand name on the cable but none was present.

There also appears to be a Nav Hack switch down by the ECT, VSC and seat cooling controls that was added. You can do the Nav stuff and watch movies while the car is moving (not that I do, but I had my wife run it while I was driving). My guess is it's all tied together somehow.
Old 01-14-12, 11:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

seems like something is wrong with the setup / initialization, or the setup is malfunctioning

if it's the factory ipod kit, it should take out the SAT spot (use AM button to toggle between AM and iPod). if it's vaistech it should be the DISC button.

i don't know about setups from other companies. but would be silly if any of them operate the way you described. without removing the head unit and the ipod kit it's probably going to be hard to tell...

the nav hack probably has little to do with the ipod integration (or at least it should be)
Old 01-15-12, 09:41 PM
Thooktrash
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
seems like something is wrong with the setup / initialization, or the setup is malfunctioning

if it's the factory ipod kit, it should take out the SAT spot (use AM button to toggle between AM and iPod). if it's vaistech it should be the DISC button.

i don't know about setups from other companies. but would be silly if any of them operate the way you described. without removing the head unit and the ipod kit it's probably going to be hard to tell...

the nav hack probably has little to do with the ipod integration (or at least it should be)
I tried the toggle between the AM button and iPod and the DISC button for the Vaistech option. Neither worked. It's either a weird brand or wrong setup/ initialization like you mentioned. I just don't know the history of it so I'm stabbing in the dark.

Are/were there any other combinations of buttons that might lead to an iPod control or at least make that the sole audio output rather than the blend I'm hearing now? What about system initialization methods I might try?

Thanks again.
Old 01-15-12, 11:28 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Best option is to take it apart to get to the device see what it is and then go from there. Sounds wacky though.
Old 01-15-12, 11:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah unless i take apart and look at what's behind, it's really hard to guess. it could very well be a programming / initialization issue. sometimes if a unit gets into conflict, something weird can happen (though i have never heard anything like what you described)
Old 01-17-12, 02:41 PM
Thooktrash
Driver School Candidate

I was able to contact the previous owner. It was an aftermarket system but they didn't remember which one. It has the nav hack button which they confirmed. Still trying other options regarding the iPod before I pull the radio to see what's going on.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-12, 04:18 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take it apart itll take like 10 minutes to figure out
Old 01-18-12, 02:11 PM
Thooktrash
Driver School Candidate

Just got done taking center stack out and could not find any control box. Looks like they made a typical Y harness as the interface between the iPod wire and the radio unit but there is no intermediate 'control box' like you would see with other units available. I didn't do a wire by wire trace but it seems as though they just overlaid the audio output from the iPod line into what ever source is selected.

I may have to look deeper in the dash area and below the glove box to see if they dropped the control/interface box down there someplace. So I still don't know what brand, if any, is in there.

The only good news is there was no wire cutting or splicing other than the nav hack switch which tapped into some 12V power for the switch.

Last edited by Thooktrash; 01-18-12 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-18-12, 03:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

back of the radio, a 20-pin harness and a 12-pin harness. trace those two, must have some kind of y harness on that. probably easier to follow that and see where it goes and where the box is, if any
Old 01-18-12, 09:09 PM
Thooktrash
Driver School Candidate

I can see the Y harness that's not the issue. The factory connection goes into the one end of the Y and the other end of the Y is in the factory location on the radio. Where those two meet the line forms what looks like the iPod cable and is routed back into the depths and then appears to be routed into the glove box through a slot in the access cover for the cabin air filter.

The only thing I'm thinking is that perhaps the interface box was placed WAAAY back in the depths where I can't see it. I'll have to open it up again and dig around for it. It's more about killing the curiosity at this point. Right now its behind the dash archeology. Good news is everything works correctly except the iPod interface.

Thanks for all the ideas!

BREAKING NEWS: Victory of some sort. FINALLY found the box. It was hidden way over on the right side under the kick panel velcro'd onto the fuse box. VAIS Tech SL2i. Now to figure out why it no worky right.

Last edited by Thooktrash; 01-18-12 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-18-12, 10:27 PM
Thooktrash
Driver School Candidate

Found the problem. I have an iPod Nano 4th gen with video. I need the firmware update for my SL2i for it to work correctly with that generation iPod.

At least I know what I'm dealing with now.
Old 01-19-12, 12:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

awesome! hope firmware update works for you!
Old 01-19-12, 08:24 AM
Thooktrash
Driver School Candidate

I might only need the cable used on the SL2i UP model. I'm waiting to hear back from VAIS Tech.