GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 Running Low on Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-11, 07:46 PM
Mohneek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2006 Running Low on Oil

I have a 2006 GS300 and for the last 9 months the engine has been running low on oil. I have less than 70k on it and have been getting something close to 3k before the low oil level indicator comes on. I just learned today that Lexus is aware of some GS models having this problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and what was your solution. I don't have a problem getting my oil changed, but if my service manual says 5k, then I should get it. My last oil change was March 2011 and here I am today low on oil..Help!!!
Old 06-14-11, 09:13 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting, i havent seen a thread about 3gs eating oil, you still have power train warranty take it in.
Old 06-14-11, 10:37 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've never heard of this either.

Is blue smoke coming out the exhaust? Is your coolant level rising? Every time I've ever checked my 06 the oil level has not moved a bit.
Old 06-15-11, 06:36 AM
THE.K.W.C
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you bastard!!!!!! every time some one post something like this my GS has the same issue...... I change my own oil and about a week ago my low oil light came on for a second then went away........2 days later it came back on and went on and off every so often.... when I was able too, i checked the oil and sure as ****, I was down more then a quart........ I have left a piece of card board under the car to see if it is leaking and so far three days in a row, not a drop....
Old 06-15-11, 06:37 AM
THE.K.W.C
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh and no smoke yet...im going to check the spark plugs next
Old 06-15-11, 07:20 AM
BinaryJay

How much mileage is on your cars?

If nothing is leaking out then there are only two places that oil can go:

1) Out the exhaust.
2) Into your coolant.

If it's a very slow leak into the combustion chamber (worn piston rings probably most common) it may be difficult to detect yourself. You can try wafting the exhaust to your nose, it shouldn't smell too foul.

If it's going into your coolant (head gasket...) then you would definitely see cross contamination in your oil when you drain it and your coolant level may be rising and if looking in the overflow tank you may see it. You can also take a look under your oil fill cap for white residue.

Note that there is a TSB for very early 06s for a very small oil leak from the valve cover but from the sounds of it, that would not be the cause of any kind of appreciable loss of oil at all it was more of a weep.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 06-15-11 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-15-11, 09:10 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

As cars get older, problems arise.
Old 06-15-11, 03:14 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Maybe your GS is turning into an M5! LOL
Old 06-15-11, 03:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

One of the reasons I bought my GS was because my G35 was consuming oil. I remember coming into a hard corner at the track. As I exited the corner and looked down for a second I saw the oil light come on. At that point I knew I had to dump the car.
Old 06-15-11, 07:07 PM
BinaryJay

Have you been using synthetic? If so, switch to a thicker dyno and see if it helps.

You can also try the "high mileage" oil blends with seal swelling additives. It's a cheap thing to try as a first pass at the problem.
Old 06-17-11, 12:02 AM
modonna223
Driver School Candidate

do you have a intake in the hood? i got a intake and tenabe then **** happend.
Old 06-17-11, 03:41 PM
Mohneek
Driver School Candidate

Default Low Oil

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Interesting, i havent seen a thread about 3gs eating oil, you still have power train warranty take it in.
I took the car in because my mechanic said the same thing (power train warranty)..Lexus confessed that they have had some cars with the smae problem and said I should expect to lose a quart of oil every 1,000 miles..What I don't understand, (and forgive me because all I know to do is follow the service book), is this: Why would they tell me to bring the car in every 5k or 3 months, knowing it's going to be low on oil. I have been having this problem and we (my mechanic) changed the type of oil to a full synthetic, at the suggestion of Lexus, but when it happened again, he told me to take it back to Lexus, so they could diagnose it while I still had the powertrain warranty, whatever that is..Sorry, but again, all I know to do is keep the oil changes and make sure I have the right amount of suggested fluids..Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 06-17-11, 03:43 PM
Mohneek
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
How much mileage is on your cars?

If nothing is leaking out then there are only two places that oil can go:

1) Out the exhaust.
2) Into your coolant.

If it's a very slow leak into the combustion chamber (worn piston rings probably most common) it may be difficult to detect yourself. You can try wafting the exhaust to your nose, it shouldn't smell too foul.

If it's going into your coolant (head gasket...) then you would definitely see cross contamination in your oil when you drain it and your coolant level may be rising and if looking in the overflow tank you may see it. You can also take a look under your oil fill cap for white residue.

Note that there is a TSB for very early 06s for a very small oil leak from the valve cover but from the sounds of it, that would not be the cause of any kind of appreciable loss of oil at all it was more of a weep.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I have 69k
Old 06-17-11, 04:03 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Bmw and nissans actually say loosing quart of oil every oil change is fine. Check you're owners manual about it.
Old 12-16-14, 07:12 PM
mikedreamz
Driver School Candidate

Default 06 Lexus GS300 "Low Oil Level"

[B]Bought my car at 90k miles. SInce reaching 125k miles every 2k miles I get an error message saying Low Oil Level. The mechanics are telling me its a internal problem with the engine. Burning oil inside the engine. Something about piston rings need to be replaced. I took it to the Lexus Dealership and no HELP since the car is not under warranty. Bull Crap!! I asked for the corporate office service number and filed a case with a case officer. Waiting on his reply to this situation. its been only a day since I"ve heard from them. Just curious if this is a manufactured defect warranty or no warranty I should be taken care of. Right?

Quick Reply: 2006 Running Low on Oil