GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Anyone considering replacing their GS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-11, 10:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by drewdogg80
I've found my GS to be very comfortable and reliable (excluding at the minor recalls)...it's just a little unexciting? After driving it 4+ years, I find myself wanting a little more sport...I've been looking at M3, S5, Cayman S. Haven't considered anything larger since the backseat is unused...I like the LS460, but I'll wait until I'm older before I consider it.
My wife keeps making it difficult to not look at other options, telling me to get something new and she'll take the GS...lol.

rominl: I generally don't care too much what other people have, but the other GS's in my neighborhood are literally 3, 5, and 8 houses down. It's not like we drive honda accords...I would like a little exclusivity driving a ~50K car. It's like showing up to work with new shoes and 3 other co-workers have the identical shoes. It sorta takes the excitement away.
ic, i guess i am in socal and unless you drive something more exotic, everything else is like school buses anyway
Old 03-27-11, 05:19 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I say wait until the New GS comes out and then make your decision. Plenty of options out there and I got bored of my GS in 2 years but thats every car I get

Im getting rid of my GS but for different reasons. Im looking for a toy of sorts to replace it with. Just not sure I want to pay for another car to sit in the garage like my GS did.
Old 03-27-11, 08:07 AM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Audi A7
Big possibility there.....unless Lexus comes out w/ a High Performance GS (not sure if that is likely)

I've never owned an Audi...and question their long term reliability. I'm a lexus fan but.....
Old 03-27-11, 08:12 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I'm looking for a switch. I don't like Audi or Mercedes or Infiniti. For a variety of reasons all their cars seem compromised and cheap to me.

So my choices are as follows (in no order of priority).
1) 4th Gen GS (if they make a 400hp+ variant)
2) 2012 BMW 550i M-Sport
3) Jaguar XJ Supercharged

I like 8 speed gearboxes and electric steering so that favors Lexus and BMW, but I also love extended leather (hate plastic dashboard), speed and throttle response so that favors Jaguar.

Also the Jag will be expensive to jam lidar since it has so much chrome.
Old 03-28-11, 02:49 AM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the BMW 550i was something I liked. Maybe when I'm older I'll switch to that!
Old 03-28-11, 03:00 AM
lutheral
Driver School Candidate

BMW 550i...is suited for even a younger person...in a way BMW are for luxury only
Old 03-28-11, 06:58 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

speaking of replacing gs, always wanted to know reason behind people getting rid of their ride after puttin mad mods into it,,see people selling the wheels just after few months or selling their cars after just putting body kits,,call me old school but when i buy something i keep it until new one come out at least,,just seem crazy to me,,
Old 03-28-11, 10:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by LIMS407
speaking of replacing gs, always wanted to know reason behind people getting rid of their ride after puttin mad mods into it,,see people selling the wheels just after few months or selling their cars after just putting body kits,,call me old school but when i buy something i keep it until new one come out at least,,just seem crazy to me,,
you want to go ask those girls who change their LV bags every season?

modding cars are just hobbies. people do it for what they can afford anyway (at least that's how i see it). when i mod car, i already put all depreciation cost into factor. everything great has to come to an end.
Old 03-29-11, 01:10 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you want to go ask those girls who change their LV bags every season?
I wish my girlfriend would trade or sell her old purses/bags before she added to the collection!!
Old 03-29-11, 05:35 PM
98OysterES
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered a 2011 BMW 535xi M-Sport w/ 20" Style 312 Ferric Grey Wheels in Alpine White with Cinnamon Brown Interior. It is currently in Bremerhaven awaiting a ship to the US as we speak ... similar vehicle shown below:

I'm tired of the creaks and rattles of the GS, and wanted something a bit sportier, and more my age (26)! Plus the BMW has so much more in the way of technology than Lexus offers in any of its vehicles!
Old 03-29-11, 08:02 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You guys are crazy, I'm going to squeeze every drop of value out of the car and drive it until the doors are falling off.

Maybe I'm just cheap but I can't stand to watch car depreciation dollars circling the drain and in this segment that drain happens to be pretty large.

As for the GS in Toronto, at least here downtown I see one here and there but really not very often at all. The IS and RX are everywhere though. So, I still feel like I'm driving something a bit different.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 03-29-11 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-29-11, 10:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

congrats on the new car 98OysterES!
Old 03-30-11, 03:43 AM
JaytdotP
Driver

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
You guys are crazy, I'm going to squeeze every drop of value out of the car and drive it until the doors are falling off.

Maybe I'm just cheap but I can't stand to watch car depreciation dollars circling the drain and in this segment that drain happens to be pretty large.

As for the GS in Toronto, at least here downtown I see one here and there but really not very often at all. The IS and RX are everywhere though. So, I still feel like I'm driving something a bit different.
hey your in toronto, any mods at all??

+ i cant wait for the 4gs.. i think ill hop on it quick, i think it only gets better!
Old 03-30-11, 06:19 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98OysterES
Just ordered a 2011 BMW 535xi M-Sport w/ 20" Style 312 Ferric Grey Wheels in Alpine White with Cinnamon Brown Interior. It is currently in Bremerhaven awaiting a ship to the US as we speak

I'm tired of the creaks and rattles of the GS, and wanted something a bit sportier, and more my age (26)! Plus the BMW has so much more in the way of technology than Lexus offers in any of its vehicles!
That looks sweet. Congrats!

Keep in mind that the F10 is a new generation. Not a fair comparison against the 3GS which came out in 2005.
Old 03-30-11, 06:43 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JaytdotP
hey your in toronto, any mods at all??

+ i cant wait for the 4gs.. i think ill hop on it quick, i think it only gets better!
Just utilitarian stuff like a good set of winter tires, 3000k HID fog lights that actually cut through weather, a moderate tint to keep the interior cool, hard wired battery maintainer since I don't drive often. The only things I've done that don't have a practical use are a set of 18 inch rims for the summer that don't kill the ride since my original rims were trashed and nichia LED replacements for the parking lights since it was just plain ugly before. I'm not much for dropping large amounts of money on stuff that is just for flash unless you count my sportbike which really has no practical use for me any more (it used to be practical when I was commuting and was saving me boat loads of gas). Well, I guess I did replace the shift plate with the 08+ one and that really has no use but I got it for dirt cheap.

I don't see a 4GS in my future unless something (knock on food) terrible happens to this car. Even if we ever got to the point of needing a 2nd car (there is a baby on the way... !) I doubt it would end up being another sedan, I'd be looking at the Venza.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 03-30-11 at 06:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone considering replacing their GS?