GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

1 goal BBKS..with 2 problems...AWD & 17" stocks wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 11:06 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
yes and yes....u gotta admit they look crazy with big wheels in the summer time
Yes they look very nice, for a nice price. Get some better pads like gransport from tire rack and also get g2 caliper paint it will be a lot cheaper with a nice look. Also i forgot get some lexus decals for em calipers thats what i did.
Old 12-09-10, 08:37 AM
01a4man
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do make big brakes for the AWD.

PHP Code:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/members/01a4man-albums.html 
JBT
Rotora
F-Sport (Stop Tech)

Those are about all that I know without going with Job Design and the bunch for a whole lot of money.
Old 12-10-10, 11:07 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01a4man
They*do*make big brakes for the AWD.

PHP Code:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/members/01a4man-albums.html 
JBT
Rotora
F-Sport (Stop Tech)

Those are about all that I know without going with Job Design and the bunch for a whole lot of money.
will they fit stock 17s? if not what stock lexus wheel will it fit? cuz i keep seeing cheap stock 18inch is350 wheels for like 400 n below
Old 12-10-10, 12:13 PM
01a4man
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will they fit stock 17s? if not what stock lexus wheel will it fit? cuz i keep seeing cheap stock 18inch is350 wheels for like 400 n below
None of the aftermarket brakes will fit under stock 17's. You will need at minimum an 18in. wheel and even at that, not a stock wheel. If price is an issue, there are many cheaper 18in. wheels out there to chose from. You could always go with the f-sport wheels. I have no idea what they run though. For a four wheel kit though, expect to pay around 5k give or take. It really depends on what kit you pick. Good luck.
Old 12-10-10, 02:12 PM
username32
Pole Position

Just convert your brakes to a IS/GS350 brakes, they are plenty large and fits over the stock 17" wheels. Its a tight fit but does fit over the OEM 17".

here is a picture on how it looks, it clears

i hear that AWD 3gs dont have that many bbks compatible with them and as far as i know the only ones that are compatible are the F sport bbks.

I also found out that the stock 17" 06 gs wheels will not work with bbks...i do have 20s but they are for the summer.

So what will be the most efficient way for me to get a nice set of bbks?

..buy a cheap set of larger wheels for the winter (ie IS350 18" stock wheels) so i can fit bbks?

ps im looking to buy bbks for better brake feel, stopping power, and looks too.
Old 12-10-10, 02:40 PM
username32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigblack06
i think he would still need to change the rims cause the rims wouldn't fit I think.
Nope, fits like a glove.

how much bigger are they? then after that just paint the calipers?
13.1" x 30mm, its far thicker and larger diameter then he tiny GS300 OE rotors. The only downside i see is the fricken rotors weigh a ton, they are 27lbs a piece. It would be cool if there was a aftermarket 2pc OEM replacement like how Stoptech and Project Mu makes for the 350Z w/ factory Brembo's.

Last edited by username32; 12-10-10 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-11-10, 10:42 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by username32
Nope, fits like a glove.

13.1" x 30mm, its far thicker and larger diameter then he tiny GS300 OE rotors. The only downside i see is the fricken rotors weigh a ton, they are 27lbs a piece. It would be cool if there was a aftermarket 2pc OEM replacement like how Stoptech and Project Mu makes for the 350Z w/ factory Brembo's.
it does look like it fits well. do you know how much the oe rotors of the gs300 weigh?
are the rear brakes larger as well?

This seems like a good option, how much and where can i find?

imo just gotta paint the calipers...i think the f sport blue color goes nice with the flint mica body color
Old 12-11-10, 11:06 AM
username32
Pole Position

it does look like it fits well. do you know how much the oe rotors of the gs300 weigh?
are the rear brakes larger as well?

This seems like a good option, how much and where can i find?

imo just gotta paint the calipers...i think the f sport blue color goes nice with the flint mica body color

Sewell Lexus sells the brake caliper kit w/ all hardware, pads, backing plates, etc for $599 or $799 with rotors. As far as weight on stock gs300 I don't know. I just weighed the 13.1 I have here but I haven't taken off the oe rotors yet. Rear I don't know if there is a different, I'm not too concerned on the rear anyways since most of the braking is done in the front. I plan to do this swap myself and done all my homework to make sure it works. I'd rather go this route because you can still use your spare tire if you get a flat where the aftmarket ones are too big to clear any compact spare.
Old 12-11-10, 11:19 AM
username32
Pole Position

Also if you plan to do the swap, invest a small fortune to get stainless steel braided brake lines, it does a world of wonders on many cars with the mushy brake syndrome. I went with stoptech lines and rotors for cost reasons (being a stoptech dealer helps keep the price down without sacrificing quality).
Old 12-12-10, 09:30 PM
phatz
Driver

I have a bbk kit I unbolted from my 2006 gs awd, ksport 8 piston 13" front and 6 piston rear, I sold my car so I unbolted it, but it worked with stock 17:"s and I still have my parking brake working , I am going to sell the kit if anybody wants it.
Old 12-12-10, 10:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

8 pistons and only on a 13" rotor? that's pretty weird combo
Old 12-13-10, 03:51 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

pics? n price? pm me
Old 12-13-10, 04:04 PM
username32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
8 pistons and only on a 13" rotor? that's pretty weird combo
Its one of those cheap Chinese made generic big brake. That company who makes those approached us a ncoupel years ago at SEMA and asked if we wanted our own branded BBK, we respectfully declined it because; 1) they have no engineering data or test data. 2) all their kits are generic and not model specific. The only thing that makes it specific is the caliper bracket. A good brake kit has engineering data, specific caliper pot sizes, and design specific for its applications. As we all know master cyl on all cars aint the same, and we know brake bias isnt the same for all cars. They think its a one size fits all.

You can find like 4-5 brands with the same bbk. Ksport, D2 racing, kido, just to name a few.
Old 12-13-10, 04:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by username32
Its one of those cheap Chinese made generic big brake. That company who makes those approached us a ncoupel years ago at SEMA and asked if we wanted our own branded BBK, we respectfully declined it because; 1) they have no engineering data or test data. 2) all their kits are generic and not model specific. The only thing that makes it specific is the caliper bracket. A good brake kit has engineering data, specific caliper pot sizes, and design specific for its applications. As we all know master cyl on all cars aint the same, and we know brake bias isnt the same for all cars. They think its a one size fits all.

You can find like 4-5 brands with the same bbk. Ksport, D2 racing, kido, just to name a few.
lol, i most definitely understand you. i was trying to challenge it in a polite way, but you spell everything out already

when it comes to bbk, i trust r&d work, and they are expensive for a good reason. i have no regret with the ap racing, stoptech, brembo, project u i have had. some brands, i would simply stay far away. maybe for just everyday driving it's ok, but when it comes to the true root of bbk...
Old 12-13-10, 04:35 PM
username32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
lol, i most definitely understand you. i was trying to challenge it in a polite way, but you spell everything out already

when it comes to bbk, i trust r&d work, and they are expensive for a good reason. i have no regret with the ap racing, stoptech, brembo, project u i have had. some brands, i would simply stay far away. maybe for just everyday driving it's ok, but when it comes to the true root of bbk...
Yep, Stoptech, as most of you guys know, makes the F Sport, TRD BBK, Saleen and a few other big name's brake kits.
There are many brands to chose from like Endless (also makes the Tommy Kaira kits), Project Mu, AP, Brembo, Stoptech, are all fantastic brands.

Only gripe i have with Stoptech is their powder coated finish is a bit fragile being a caliper, spray any brake cleaner or spill a little brake fluid on the finish and its game over.

Quick Reply: 1 goal BBKS..with 2 problems...AWD & 17" stocks wheels