GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Check System light went on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 07:47 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
the system checks once you hit 50 miles into a trip. more than likely you triggered that. if your front tires are 30psi then thats why. if you dont have tmps' then thats another reason why.

btw 50 miles in 30 minutes? you must be driving pretty quick
hahah i went from suburbs to the bronx...but then hit bad traffic in the bx....hmm i cant even find the recommended psi for these vredesteins tire on 20"..i prolly should email the vredestein website...my psi right now is at 35 all around and the tires have a max pressure of 51 psi
Old 07-19-10, 11:16 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kcook700
Lex, do you have upgraded wheels? If yes, did you get the TPMS installed?

If you have stock wheels, it is possible one of your sensors went bad.

Does the dash light look like this (_!_) ? and the other one is a triangle with ! in the middle?
yeh i got upgraded wheels and tpms installed...

*Correction*
the dash light on the middle and left looks like ( ! ) and the one on the right looks like ! with a triangle around it

Last edited by Lex Luga; 07-20-10 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 04:24 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I'll try again, 06 gas caps are faulty. Once the problem starts it doesn't matter how many times you tighten or turn it. Change it. Doesn't cost much. I took mine to the dealer too and they didn't figure it out. I did. I kept asking questions about why the light would come on, going through endless possibilites until the know-it-all techs listened and checked if the gas cap part number has been changed since production. It was...which gave an indication the original needed to be changed. We tried it and taaaa daaaahhh! The light went off and has not returned.
i agree but unless the display says check VSC then i highly doubt its the gas gap.

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
hahah i went from suburbs to the bronx...but then hit bad traffic in the bx....hmm i cant even find the recommended psi for these vredesteins tire on 20"..i prolly should email the vredestein website...my psi right now is at 35 all around and the tires have a max pressure of 51 psi
it doesnt have anything to do with what tires, its the sensors themselves. i believe they are programmed to either 32psi or 33psi (i could be wrong though). once the pressure drops below that, thats when the lights come on. a quick simple fix would be just fill the tires to approx 38psi and drive for a few days to see if the light goes off.
Old 07-20-10, 10:13 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

vredestein got back to me today and my recommended front PSI is 41 and rear is 47, so im thinking of putting 44psi all around since it seems incorrect to have different PSI's in the front and back wheels of an awd car
Old 07-20-10, 10:30 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

it doesnt matter. 41 and 47 is way too high imo.
Old 07-20-10, 01:02 PM
cowsgomoo
Pole Position

I use 38 on all of my tires. Which is more than what most people use. It appears most people prefer around 33-35. I would not go over 40. You will have so much pressure in the tire it will cause the center of the tire to wear differently than the sides, I would assume.
Old 07-21-10, 09:19 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

all the check system lights turned off today...less than 10 engine start ups since i put 35psi in the tires..hopefully it stays like this....next up road force wheel balance at toyota dealership tomorrow
Old 07-22-10, 09:01 AM
Vin1971
Driver

i got the same problem on my 06, i did the oil change and had new rims/tires on...the low tires and oil maintain reqrd still comes on...any help will greatly appreciate..and also my moonroof is not automatic any more..i had to keep my finger on the button to open/closed...grrr..about to burn this car!! S.O.S!!!

Old 07-22-10, 01:58 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vin1971
i got the same problem on my 06, i did the oil change and had new rims/tires on...the low tires and oil maintain reqrd still comes on...any help will greatly appreciate..and also my moonroof is not automatic any more..i had to keep my finger on the button to open/closed...grrr..about to burn this car!! S.O.S!!!

Did you disconnect the battery? If you did, then all the windows/moonroof need to be manually reprogrammed (see FAQ).
The oil warning is probably a reminder that appears after a certain distance/time they program in. You need to reset the oil change reminder (see FAQ).
As for rims, did you install the *proper* TPMS sensors and have their IDs programmed in? The 06 required different ones from the 07+ IIRC, and the dealer needs to program in the ID codes.

So there is most likely nothing wrong with the car, just need to follow instructions more carefully and read the FAQs on this forum or do a search.
Old 05-30-11, 04:50 PM
CoolRich59
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting the 'Check System' light on my car (2008 GS 350).

I've gotten it before for low air in one of my tires. However, if I recall correctly, the warning message said 'check air/tire pressure' or something like that. Once I put air in, the warning message stopped before I even pulled out of the gas station.

Today, the warning came on and, as mentioned, this time it now says "Check System". I put air in the tires, but the warning light is staying on.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-30-11, 07:29 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolRich59

I've gotten it before for low air in one of my tires. However, if I recall correctly, the warning message said 'check air/tire pressure' or something like that. Once I put air in, the warning message stopped before I even pulled out of the gas station.

Today, the warning came on and, as mentioned, this time it now says "Check System". I put air in the tires, but the warning light is staying on.

Any thoughts?

Dead sensor / Dead sensor battery.
Old 05-31-11, 12:32 PM
CoolRich59
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Any thoughts?

Problem Solved.

I got worried about driving with the warning light on and talked to my local Lexus service advisor.

His first suggestion was to check the tire pressure setting button located under the dash on the passenger side to see if it had been moved. Apparently, there are two settings: a 'Main' setting and a #2 setting. The 'Main' setting is -- obviously -- for the primary set of tires. The #2 setting is when there are another set of tires used (like snow tires).

The SA thought it was likely button had been accidentally moved from Main to #2. If the sensor did not detect the other set of tires, it would set off the warning.

I checked and, sure enough, the button had been moved to the #2 position. I suspect it happened when I had my car cleaned this past weekend.

While I appreciate Lexus's quick fix, what was left unsaid was why they elected to place this button under the dash and why it's existence is not mentioned in the owner's manual.
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (04-05-19)
Old 05-31-11, 01:04 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Problem Solved.

I got worried about driving with the warning light on and talked to my local Lexus service advisor.

His first suggestion was to check the tire pressure setting button located under the dash on the passenger side to see if it had been moved. Apparently, there are two settings: a 'Main' setting and a #2 setting. The 'Main' setting is -- obviously -- for the primary set of tires. The #2 setting is when there are another set of tires used (like snow tires).

The SA thought it was likely button had been accidentally moved from Main to #2. If the sensor did not detect the other set of tires, it would set off the warning.

I checked and, sure enough, the button had been moved to the #2 position. I suspect it happened when I had my car cleaned this past weekend.

While I appreciate Lexus's quick fix, what was left unsaid was why they elected to place this button under the dash and why it's existence is not mentioned in the owner's manual.
Pretty sure that is in the manual. I know mine has never been accidentally disturbed so I don't think it's a particularly bad place but it might have made slightly more sense for them to place it next to the tpms reset button under the steering column.
Old 06-18-16, 01:23 PM
LaRissa209
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kcook700
Lex, do you have upgraded wheels? If yes, did you get the TPMS installed?

If you have stock wheels, it is possible one of your sensors went bad.

Does the dash light look like this (_!_) ? and the other one is a triangle with ! in the middle?
My light looks like (_!_) but I was told it was my TPMS due to I changed my stock rims & tires to low profile Divinity 18" rims. The new rims & tires do not have the stock sensors on them. So until I get them put on my new rims & tires that my check system light will stay on until so.
Old 08-17-16, 04:50 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I had the same problem on my 06.
Discovered it was the gas cap. The 06 model was a flawed design. They have improved it and I bought one. Problem solved.
Did you buy the same 2006 cap for the 2006 issue or a post 2006 cap?

Or did they simply stop making the original 2006 cap and replaced it with a brand new version instead?

I'm wondering if I should buy a 2006 or perhaps a 2011-12 gas cap as my first step to fixing the VSC light.

Quick Reply: Check System light went on.