GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

270,000 FaultyLexus/Toyota Engines, potential recall (valve spring replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 11:43 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mkim1120
i recently had mine completed
check engine light came on with alot of p301-306 misfires
took it to the dealership they cleared the codes and suggested a fuel injection
didnt fix the problem. engine bogged down hard and actually turned off a few times at red lights
it took them 6 weeks to complete but runs like a champ now
also got the cat converter replaced as well
They had your car for 6 weeks for that? I've seen the TSB for the 06 for the same thing and there is no way that it should take more than a day or two by somebody competent.

Anyway, I have the same problems sometimes with my 06 but none of this news mentions the 3GR-FSE engine. Took my car in with P300, etc. misfire codes (it had the symptoms for the last year or more but previously they told me they couldn't do anything without codes) and they cleared it and gave the car back to me with nothing done but at least they opened a technical assistance case. Hopefully I'll find out early next week that they will do the valve springs for me at the very least but I'm also hoping they get told to do a top engine clean at the same time (basically, following the new tsb for GS300 which references both of these things).

I have no experience with how the TAS works though. I'm not sure if a TAS response gives the dealership authorization to perform these kinds of repairs, but I assume so since they are the "top level" tech support. Basically, dealership ran out of things to test to figure out what's happening with my car, everything they looked at they said is good. Valve springs/carbon buildup seems like the only thing left to me.

I wonder if all of this recent recall talk involving this will make it an easier decision for them to approve the work or not.
Old 07-01-10, 01:17 PM
derfp2
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder if this has anything to do with the cold/warm startup noise(racket) that the GS350s been having, supposedly some menbers have had the TSB done for this (racket noise) and had the noise come back months later...Mine does it rarelly on first startup, but pretty frequently with after driving warm startups....
Old 07-01-10, 02:26 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious...would this be covered under their powertrain warranty (6 yrs/72,000 miles)?
Old 07-01-10, 02:31 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by Bushwack
Just curious...would this be covered under their powertrain warranty (6 yrs/72,000 miles)?
Well if it's a RECALL then everybody is covered regardless of warranty status. Otherwise, if the car isn't on the officiall recall list I assume that they deal with it on a case by case basis.
Old 07-01-10, 05:20 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I find this quite disturbing. Seems like its one thing after another.
Old 07-01-10, 05:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ling-problem/1

UPDATE 8:25 p.m. ET: Toyota Motor just said in Tokyo that it will recall 270,000 vehicles worldwide next Monday to fix engines with a valve spring problem that could cause them to stall. Spokesman Paul Nolasco said said vehicles include seven models (years so far unspecified) of luxury Lexus sedans and Japan's popular Crown. Of the 270,000 vehicles, some 137,000 were sold in the U.S. Nolasco said Toyota will inform Japan's transport ministry of a recall of 90,000 vehicles there on Monday. The U.S. recall could be announced as early as today.
so for sure it's coming, just need to wait and see what year specifically, and whether it's all cars or only specific vin
Old 07-01-10, 05:41 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by batman75
I find this quite disturbing. Seems like its one thing after another.

definitely.

as i mentioned before on my several posts regarding Carbon Buildup,

The Viscious Cycle:

caused by faulty engine design (either PCV, valve, ECU, etc...) ----> excessive carbonization----> rough idle, MIL/CEL, rough idle, misfires, hesitation-----> dead stall (worst scenario due to choking).

these new engines have a definite flaw that Lexus/Toyota needs to remedy.

based on my own observation, ALL new generation Lexus models have considerable tailpipe carbonization compared with other makes, brands (older, and newer)

Last edited by spine911; 07-01-10 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-01-10, 05:56 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Anyway, I have the same problems sometimes with my 06 but none of this news mentions the 3GR-FSE engine. Took my car in with P300, etc. misfire codes (it had the symptoms for the last year or more but previously they told me they couldn't do anything without codes) and they cleared it and gave the car back to me with nothing done but at least they opened a technical assistance case. Hopefully I'll find out early next week that they will do the valve springs for me at the very least but I'm also hoping they get told to do a top engine clean at the same time (basically, following the new tsb for GS300 which references both of these things).

I have no experience with how the TAS works though. I'm not sure if a TAS response gives the dealership authorization to perform these kinds of repairs, but I assume so since they are the "top level" tech support. Basically, dealership ran out of things to test to figure out what's happening with my car, everything they looked at they said is good. Valve springs/carbon buildup seems like the only thing left to me.

I wonder if all of this recent recall talk involving this will make it an easier decision for them to approve the work or not.

TAS is a definite requirement for warranty repair especially if there is no active TSB (in Canada-where you are at), recall (infancy stage???).

My dealer had to file, and had to get an approved TAS case when i was fighting my case regarding the carbonization issue (which is definitely caused by an engine flaw) several months ago BEFORE the TSB, ...now this recall.

BTW, BinaryJay your IM cracked me up...."Mr. Carbon Man".lol.

Last edited by spine911; 07-01-10 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-01-10, 06:04 PM
JBasco20
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the GS430 owners like me missed this one as well..... im starting to worry though....
Old 07-01-10, 06:57 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JBasco20
Looks like the GS430 owners like me missed this one as well..... im starting to worry though....
Yeah, you and the other three guys who bought GS430's are SOL
Old 07-01-10, 08:43 PM
iamjojo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by helpmeout1
I guess this would explain why my idle is really rough at stops, and why my idle RPM will drop down below 500. Of course, my Lexus dealer said they couldn't find a problem. They also said that my knock and rattle on start up was normal for my engine (or is this a known PROBLEM with my engine?), and that it was JUST piston slap while the oil pressure was building (no big deal right? – ha!).

07 GS350
Yup. Same here. Complained about the idle Only thing they did was De-carb the engine Didnt do much. *shrug*

08 GS350
Old 07-01-10, 08:58 PM
BinaryJay

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/toy...red-2010-07-01

So the 8 models has turned into nine models? Hopefully GS300? I find it strange IS250 and GS300 aren't on the previous lists in the news since they seem to be hit by these things worse than the 3.5Ls at least in an anecdotal sense. I hope my TAS case slipping in just before these announcements helps push the GS300 onto the official list just to make my life (and anybody else with a misbehaving GS300) easier.
Old 07-01-10, 09:00 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

^^if im not mistaken the Crown shares the same engine as the GS300.

therefore, part of this recall.
Old 07-01-10, 09:06 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by spine911
^^if im not mistaken the Crown shares the same engine as the GS300.

therefore, part of this recall.
I think the crown comes in lots of different engine configurations and one of them is the 3.5L engine shared on the GS350/IS350. I'm not totally sure, but I recall seeing somewhere that you could buy the current gen crown in the 2.5, 3.0 and 3.5L varieties?

http://www.7tune.com/toyota-crown-series-minor-update/

They have quite the confusing line for the Crown. All engines are used, 2GR, 3GR, and 4GR. The only one that has anything in common with the GS/IS350 is the 2GR crown variety. None of the articles thus far have mentioned which crown model would be affected.

I think one reason that none of the articles mentions the GS300 so far is that it is, right now, a Japan centric news story. Last I heard they announced the recall officially will be coming for Japan but no news for north america yet. The 2006 GS model in Japan went straight to the GS350 so the GS300 3rd gen never existed there.

Definitely an interesting turn of events in any case, now that this whole issue I've been having with my car has turned into a high profile news story I really don't see how they will be able to deny fixing my car. Especially since I had my car in with these complaints MONTHS ago before this became a general topic and it's all on record at my dealership.

I'll be waiting with baited breath to see what happens but for the first time I feel like I'm close to having Lexus take some measures to get things running smoothly. When I bought the car I expected usual quirks and quibbles with the car like any but one thing I did NOT expect to ever have to worry about is any kind of major engine work as every toyota I've driven in the past has been rock solid with just minimal maintenance.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 07-01-10 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-01-10, 09:12 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

per wikipedia:

the 3gr-fse 3.0 engine (Lexus 2006 GS300) is used on the ff. models:

2004 Toyota Mark X (GRX121) (Japan)
2003 Toyota Crown Royal & Athlete (GRS182/183) (Japan)
2006 Lexus GS 300 (GRS190/195) (Europe & North America)
2008 Toyota Crown Royal (GRS202/203) (Japan)

is this accurate??

Quick Reply: 270,000 FaultyLexus/Toyota Engines, potential recall (valve spring replacement)