GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Did I get ripped off?!? (pissed!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-10, 09:55 AM
7exusGS86
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I get ripped off?!? (pissed!)

Sooooo I just purchased my CPO'd GS 300 on 4/2/10...I noticed my divers side parking lamp kept flickering on and off when hitting bumps on the road yesterday. I took my car in this morning thinking' they would fix the problem for free (I know bulbs are "wear and tear" items, but I just bought the damn car!) A service rep' named Ali (Mcgrath Lexus of Chicago) claimed that the bulb was no good and the charged me $70.00 for a new one!.... That's crazy if you ask me...after 6 days of ownership...smh
Old 04-08-10, 09:58 AM
Coffee87
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a bad dealership. I bought my 06 GS300 from a Toyota dealership and two of the marker bulbs burned out two days later. I took it in and the manager replaced them for free, no questions asked.
Old 04-08-10, 10:07 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no they should of taken care of u,,,,
Old 04-08-10, 10:17 AM
Coolpop
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know, I really wonder just how much these dealerships actually do to the vehicles they "certify." A friend bought a CPO GS 350 from a dealer in Miami, the dealer said they performed all this maintenance to it - oil/filter, air filter, etc - and then the next day, my friend found this certification checklist from Lexus of ORLANDO in the glovebox, where the tech there supposedly performed all the certifications THREE MONTHS PRIOR.

But here's the kicker - the guy who supposedly certified everything checked the box next to "convertible" where it said "convertible top working properly." WTF???? It made my friend think that all these crooks did was just check every single box on the 5 page list without actually doing any of the work or checking anything. Plus the oil was dark, so it obviously hadn't been changed.

Does make me wonder. That being said, they absolutely should replace that bulb for free, no questions asked.
Old 04-08-10, 10:34 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL $70 for a filiment bulb that can be had at the local rip-off hardware store for $2. Literally takes a minute to change.

While it sucks, I think you should choose your battles and this one is not worth fighting them over. Just swap it yourself and save the battle for something more major. Politely tell them you are disappointed with them, maybe write a letter to the owner, and fix it yourself.

BTW I've never heard of a bulb flickering when it goes bad. They either work or they don't, normally. Could be that it's just "loose" and the bulb is actually fine. $2 saved... just open it up and jam it in better.
Old 04-08-10, 10:38 AM
7exusGS86
Driver School Candidate

The sales associate who sold me the car, Ben Mutz, is supposed to contact me when he gets in... I'm going to let him know what happened and hopefully he will do something about it... If not ill talk to Eric, the sales manager... This is ridiculous... I thought BMW had bad service but they would NEVER have the audacity to charge me for something so minor, especially if I JUST bought the car less than a week ago....Lexus reps definitely are starting off on the wrong foot with me... They were extremely nice during the sales process, I guess they knew I like to be kissed before getting screwed.
Old 04-08-10, 11:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

that's really bad, hope you can get it resolved
Old 04-08-10, 12:02 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 7exusGS86
The sales associate who sold me the car, Ben Mutz, is supposed to contact me when he gets in... I'm going to let him know what happened and hopefully he will do something about it... If not ill talk to Eric, the sales manager... This is ridiculous... I thought BMW had bad service but they would NEVER have the audacity to charge me for something so minor, especially if I JUST bought the car less than a week ago....Lexus reps definitely are starting off on the wrong foot with me... They were extremely nice during the sales process, I guess they knew I like to be kissed before getting screwed.
Unfortunately I think this is a problem faced by many brands: there are a minority of bad dealers. My local dealer would fix this for free without question.

Same issue with BMW, the dealer in central Miami is totally rubbish, the one I used to have in North Atlanta is fantastic. In general though in my experience in Miami and Atlanta, Lexus has better dealers than anyone else.
Old 04-08-10, 12:05 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

$70 for a parking bulb....? wow That's like $2 for a bulb and $68 labor.. Seems like a bad deal to me
Old 04-08-10, 12:46 PM
cowsgomoo
Pole Position

Raise Hell

If it weren't for the fact you bought it from a Lexus Dealership AND it was a certified pre-owned....

Like I said Raise hell
Old 04-08-10, 01:27 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

how do you know your parking lamp was flickering on and off?
Old 04-08-10, 01:58 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
how do you know your parking lamp was flickering on and off?
Thats what I thought. If your inside the car and driving how can u see it flicker?
Old 04-08-10, 02:06 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

get your money back.

car should have a grace period
Old 04-08-10, 02:14 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe he means DRL bulb. Even then, don't know why he'd be driving around at night with headlights off.

Maybe he means the warning lamp for bulb out? Is there one for parking lights?
Old 04-08-10, 03:29 PM
7exusGS86
Driver School Candidate

Its the bulb in the lamp closer to the grill...I noticed it was flickerring on and off because I can see the reflection when I pull up right behind other vehicles...and when I parked my car at one location it was off then I made it to my next destination it was on again... Sorry, I don't know the exact title for the bulb

Quick Reply: Did I get ripped off?!? (pissed!)