GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Another tire thread - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S + or Conti ExtremeContact DWS

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10, 06:31 PM
DWNYC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yang1815
Michelin's got my vote.

I got the Plus version of the Pilot Sport A/S. Love them.
I think i'm going with the Pilot Sport AS plus. Tire rack doesn't have DWS in stock and I really don't need the snow traction since I have winter tires to swap back into.
Old 04-05-10, 07:30 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DWNYC
Haha, you must be blessed with no interior rattles. I love my car but I can't seem to get Lexus to fix the driver door rattle when hitting bumps. Besides that, have small squeaks here and there that can be covered by music. Of course, I would love to turn music off sometimes and enjoy the ride but it's not like lexus engineers great sounding engines.
HAHA DW perfectly said, i was wondering how come stock lexus system's are so loud and crisp. The rattle's and little squeaks here and there need a good sounds system. Yea i wish i can get rid of all my squeaks and rattle's.....
Old 04-05-10, 07:37 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, 245/45/18 does not look fat on the car, it actually is the perfect size. IT fills the wheel gap a bit more and absorbes the bumps and potholes better on the GS. I have them and I will not go back to the 245/40/18 size. Small minor rubbing with full degree turns in reverse which is rare only in parking lots.

I would not hesitate getting the 245/45 size as it will have more cushion, better wear and better ride.
Old 04-05-10, 09:57 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my DWS's installed today and they are indeed super quiet. Well, at least compared to the Falken 452's. I do have one complaint, however, and it's that my car now pulls slightly to the right. It drove perfectly straight prior to them. Not a huge issue and it doesn't pull really hard. It's more of a drift to the right. Overall, I'm very happy with them for the price I paid. Plus I'm getting a free Tom Tom navi. LOL
Old 04-06-10, 05:45 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
No, 245/45/18 does not look fat on the car, it actually is the perfect size. IT fills the wheel gap a bit more and absorbes the bumps and potholes better on the GS. I have them and I will not go back to the 245/40/18 size. Small minor rubbing with full degree turns in reverse which is rare only in parking lots.

I would not hesitate getting the 245/45 size as it will have more cushion, better wear and better ride.
Speedometer Difference: 3.771% too slow. This IMO is too much variance from stock radial size.

I wish I could get the TomTom, but the way the promotion works requires that the tires had actually been shipped to me during the promotional period and that is not gonna happen... pretty lame. There is another Canadian promotion that goes until June or something for $65 back that I can probably use instead, but I think the TomTom is worth a bit more than that if I were to sell it.
Old 04-06-10, 07:21 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Speedometer Difference: 3.771% too slow. This IMO is too much variance from stock radial size.

I wish I could get the TomTom, but the way the promotion works requires that the tires had actually been shipped to me during the promotional period and that is not gonna happen... pretty lame. There is another Canadian promotion that goes until June or something for $65 back that I can probably use instead, but I think the TomTom is worth a bit more than that if I were to sell it.
Most dealers and tire companies say that 3.77 is the best number to go with and nothing more. Its barely 1.8 mph below actual 50 and 2.96 mph below 80 in reality so you just speed a little more and you will be faster than the rest but in safe +5mph above speed limit.
Old 04-06-10, 08:54 AM
TWong350

I had some fun on a freeway onramp this morning on my way into the office and boy do the DWH's have some grip. I could never take the turn that I took that fast before. So far, so good!
Old 04-06-10, 10:43 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TWong1200
I had some fun on a freeway onramp this morning on my way into the office and boy do the DWH's have some grip. I could never take the turn that I took that fast before. So far, so good!
I've been doing some crazy stuff with my car since I had the Conti DWS installed! These tires have phenomenal dry and wet grip.

By the way, my car pulls a bit to the right as well after getting these tires. I bought a 3-year alignment plan, so I'll be taking it back to NTB soon. I believe the tires need to be rebalanced as well; there is a vibration at around 75-80 mph.
Old 04-06-10, 10:57 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DWNYC
I think i'm going with the Pilot Sport AS plus. Tire rack doesn't have DWS in stock and I really don't need the snow traction since I have winter tires to swap back into.
Since you have winter tires, you could forgo all-season?
Old 04-06-10, 11:08 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Modeler
I've been doing some crazy stuff with my car since I had the Conti DWS installed! These tires have phenomenal dry and wet grip.

By the way, my car pulls a bit to the right as well after getting these tires. I bought a 3-year alignment plan, so I'll be taking it back to NTB soon. I believe the tires need to be rebalanced as well; there is a vibration at around 75-80 mph.
Check the road force numbers too on a Hunter Machine as well to rule out tire problem that is from the factory.

Let me know how they are afterwards as I am very sensitive to tire/wheel vibration and I am looking into getting these later on this year as my current Michelins Primacy MXV4 will be wearing out by then.
Old 04-06-10, 11:49 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Since you have winter tires, you could forgo all-season?
All season is good for a few reasons:

1) Treadwear is much better.
2) Usually cheaper, nevermind the fact that you have to replace them less often.
3) If you live somewhere that gets snow, it's nice to not have to worry about switching to your winter tires even if you have them right away. You can wait for the real winter to come instead of putting winter tires on ahead of time and killing the tread on them while the temperatures are still going up and down.
Old 04-06-10, 12:56 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2) Usually cheaper, nevermind the fact that you have to replace them less often.
3) If you live somewhere that gets snow, it's nice to not have to worry about switching to your winter tires even if you have them right away. You can wait for the real winter to come instead of putting winter tires on ahead of time and killing the tread on them while the temperatures are still going up and down.
I know that. But probably not better performance than dedicated summer tires.
Old 04-06-10, 02:18 PM
TWong350

Can someone remind me what winter means again?

Modeler....I don't have wheel vibration at all. Super smooth. Super quiet. Just a slight drift to the right. I do need to get it aligned though but it doesn't matter since caster is not adjustable on these cars. Either way, an alignment will not do a thing for you in terms of pulling.
Old 04-06-10, 02:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
I have PILOT SPORT A/S awesome tire can't complain.
Michelin Pilots sport AS plus on my ride and I am thinking its the best tire I have ever used. Its quiet and wears amazingly well......even on a dropped car like mine. In the end you get what you pay for. No more noisy summer tires that burn out in 12k miles
Attached Thumbnails Another tire thread - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S + or Conti ExtremeContact DWS-29740440373_large.jpg  
Old 04-06-10, 07:20 PM
DWNYC
Rookie

I know that. But probably not better performance than dedicated summer tires.
Yang, If I had my BMW that I got rid of to step into the GS, hands down I would get summer tires. But frankly, I don't think the GS would benefit from the additional grip from summer tires. The suspension has enough roll already. That's why I figure the added tread wear outweighs the additional performance from summer tires.

Quick Reply: Another tire thread - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S + or Conti ExtremeContact DWS