GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Jack and jack stand positioning

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 10:59 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jack and jack stand positioning

Does anyone have a picture of the proper jack and jack stand positions for the front and rear?

Forgive the basic question, but search didn't yielded much help.
Old 02-23-10, 11:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

to jack up the car, i always just do it along the inside of side skirt area, toward the front and rear wheel. you will feel a metal frame, that's where i jack up the car.

for stand, i usually put them at the hinges of the control arms (or something like that)
Old 02-23-10, 12:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
to jack up the car, i always just do it along the inside of side skirt area, toward the front and rear wheel. you will feel a metal frame, that's where i jack up the car.

for stand, i usually put them at the hinges of the control arms (or something like that)
Yup !! Me too. If you want illustrations you can easily check the manual. It will diagram the entire thing for you
Old 02-23-10, 12:59 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

the manual shows the guide marks along the lower seam between the wheels. The guide marks have two "notches" and the jack is placed between the notches. Online manual on lexus.com shows it if you don't have a hardcopy manual.
Old 02-23-10, 01:00 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

along the side of the car towards the front and rear of the side skirts, you'll see a flat spot along the pinch weld. you can jack it from there which is what i believe the above posters are mentioning.
Old 02-23-10, 05:21 PM
tuanle82
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you put the jack between the 2 notches to jack it up. where do you put the jack stand at? i dont have the manual with me now, still at work but i dont remember it illustrating the diagram. like what most people are saying just place it between the 2 notches, but that just to do light work like changing the tire what if i want to install springs. i want to have it on a jack stand to be safe. been wanting to ask this question for a while but when i did a search, i saw a couple thread but no one ever answers them.

oh i ended up bending the pinch weld a while back with a floor jack
Old 02-23-10, 07:37 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

The manual has photos of both the front and rear jack positions. The photo of the rear is clear enough, but I'm not sure about the front. Can anyone verify or correct my assumption on the bottom photo?

Here is the page from the manual.

Here is a photo of the two notches in the pinch weld ... this is where the emergency jack goes. I'm paranoid that I would mangle this with a floor jack or jack stands.

This is a view of the rear jack position, as shown in the manual.

This is a view of what I think is the front jack position.
Old 02-23-10, 09:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by tuanle82
if you put the jack between the 2 notches to jack it up. where do you put the jack stand at? i dont have the manual with me now, still at work but i dont remember it illustrating the diagram. like what most people are saying just place it between the 2 notches, but that just to do light work like changing the tire what if i want to install springs. i want to have it on a jack stand to be safe. been wanting to ask this question for a while but when i did a search, i saw a couple thread but no one ever answers them.

oh i ended up bending the pinch weld a while back with a floor jack
like i said in my post, i put my stand on the lower control arm where it's connected to the body

and bending those pinch weld is ok, no biggy
Old 02-24-10, 10:26 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Can anyone verify or correct my assumption for the front jack position on the bottom photo in post #1?
Old 04-21-10, 08:04 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Just to follow up on this and close the thread, I verified that the location of the front jack position in the manual is the same as the one in my photo above.

I jacked up the car this past weekend and put her on stands to paint and decal my calipers (finally). The paint and decal work was gravy and took no time, and turned out just the way I wanted it.

And yes, I'm shamefully still riding on my 18" OEM wheels with unsightly and humiliating wheel gap.

I'm going to put on some F-Sport springs for the modest 1" drop, and 20" wheels - probably MMR HR2's or Vossen VVS-CV1's - in a few weeks!
Old 11-28-11, 06:29 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

I know this is an old thread, but can someone post up pics of the lower control arms where you would put the jack stands?
Old 12-11-11, 07:06 AM
bhuwan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
I know this is an old thread, but can someone post up pics of the lower control arms where you would put the jack stands?
I Agree! I hope someone is willign to post pics!
Old 01-28-17, 03:16 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bhuwan
I Agree! I hope someone is willign to post pics!
Is this it? It's slightly mangled from last time it was raised up. This is the front, and just before the oil pan
Old 01-28-17, 05:41 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 3GSShoe
Is this it? It's slightly mangled from last time it was raised up. This is the front, and just before the oil pan
Yeah that looks correct, but check the owners manual to be sure.

The jack and jack stand positions are in the owners manual. If you don't have a copy, I posted the manual in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-went-off.html
Old 03-29-18, 07:55 PM
sghyunsu
Driver School Candidate

"Lexus LS430 Oil Change Info and Central Jacking Points - YouTube"

Quick Reply: Jack and jack stand positioning