GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

SUPER EPIC FAIL, for CPO Lexus..what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-13, 01:07 PM
sawnzo1212
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MCCR
about to read page 3.

my car was serviced/bough at Tustin Lexus, I bought it from Commowealth at the Santa Ana auto Mall, makes me think twice about the quality of service/recalls that were done. should I worry? I got an extended warranty and will never take it to tusin/newport lexus. is Westminster still a good dealership to service for warranty/recall work? I have my own mechanic to do the non warranty/recall work .

Ive heard good things about crown lexus if ur willing to make the drive...
Old 04-23-13, 04:54 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by *Batman*
You should explicitly ask them if the car has been in an accident. Best thing when dealing with a franchised dealer is to do the following:
1) Get out your iPhone voice recorder.
2) Tell the sales person "I am recording this conversation for both of our protection. Can we discuss this vehicle?"
3) If sales person says no, leave.
4) If sales person says yes, ask him the following questions on the record with his responses recorded:
a) Carfax's only show reported accidents and insurance claims, not all damage. Has this car ever been in an accident?
b) Has there ever been an paintwork performed on this car?
c) Has there ever been any bodywork performed on this car?
d) Was this vehicle owned by a rental fleet or used as a loaner vehicle?
e) Is there a record of this car recieving all the scheduled maintenance activities at Lexus dealership(s)?
f) How many keys does this vehicle have?
g) Are all the features in this car working?
h) Are there any other factors which materially affect the value of this vehicle which you are not telling me about?

If you don't record the conversation, they may deny it anyway.

The other option which I prefer is to call carchex and ask them to do a $150 inspection.
Are you nuts??
You seriously expect a salesman to know all that stuff, about each of the 100 cars on his lot? And to swear to it on tape? Do you think he has followed that car around since the day it was first sold new? Or do you just assume all car salespeople have ESP?
Old 04-29-13, 03:39 AM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MX5
Are you nuts??
You seriously expect a salesman to know all that stuff, about each of the 100 cars on his lot? And to swear to it on tape? Do you think he has followed that car around since the day it was first sold new? Or do you just assume all car salespeople have ESP?
A good salesman would say "I don't know. Let's see if I can look it up." rather than lying about the origins of a car. When that happens, I just think they're worthless.

My example is when I was looking for a used CPO GS in 2008. I went to Newport Beach Lexus and Jim Falk in Beverly Hills. I didn't like either, but the guys @ Jim Falk were at least honest. In Newport Beach, I was told that the car I was interested in was better bought from them, because it was driven by super careful old people from Newport Beach rather than the rough streets of LA.

I looked up the car on Carfax and it was bought, owned, and serviced in Colorado most of its life, to which I backed off the deal and chewed out the salesman for wasting my time with a contrived story.
Old 04-29-13, 02:13 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Car dealers will always know if there is paintwork or bodywork completed on a car. They can tell by feel, by observation and by a paint depth gauge.

I know this because when I went to trade my GS460 they told me the hood had been repainted based on the above methods of observation and they offered me less money. This was interesting because I owned the car since new and it never had any paintwork. I investigated it with Lexus and it turns out that it was repainted at the vehicle processing center - must have been scratched during unloading.

So any dealer who doesn't know if a car has been in an accident doesn't know what he's talking about. They are like hawks for identifying previous damage. It drives their margin.