GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3GS - M/L Soundsystem Speaker HELP (Mod's please leave)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 05:20 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3GS - M/L Soundsystem Speaker HELP (Mod's please leave)

(Specific audio question to the 3GS - so please leave here)

Folks,

I am in desperate need of some help. I want to replace the front 3-way system with better speakers, but cannot find high SQ, 3-way system that will work in factory locations. One installer has recommended Zapco or Morel, but they are over $1k per pair! Another installer recommends FoCal, similar pricing....

My intent is to run a JBL MS-8 processor or a JL Cleansweep after the ML OEM amp, for the fronts and center, leaving the rears alone. The benefit of the MS-8 is that it will (when it's released) have an onboard amplifier, highly configurable and mappalbe so that it can be used as a 4 channel, 2 channel or 1 channel, etc. Also, the MS-8 seems to be the best middle ground between the less configurable, but more automated JL Cleansweap, and the over highly configurable, but completely manual Rockford 360.2.

So here are my three questions (in order of difficulty):

1) What are the ML speaker sizes for OEM mounting/placement (no drilling, no box making, no modifications)
2) What speakers have you all used that you believe sound the BEST (I know this is subjective, but I am looking for descriptions and consistency to help weed out colored reviews specific to SQ or equalization)
3) What other brands might I consider other than Morel or Zapco????

Reason for questions: I know that installers want to push the brands they carry, especially those with high margin - which is why I want to try and separate the installation and configuration from the equipment. I can bring this installer my own gear for installation. I also cannot get a clear picture of how they sound in the vehicle as each speaker brand colors or has benefits/drawback which may/not be great in each vehicle. I want to avoid a trial and error installation with various speaker brands....

Any advice is welcomed!!!
Old 10-15-09, 04:05 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lee - i am actually considering doing close to the same thing. i will be using the 3sixty.2 instead of the JL though. like you i am not certain as to the size of the stock ML speakers. i am hoping the boston acoustic pro series 6.5" components i have will fit, otherwise i will be doing the subwoofers only. lol. my plan is to leave the staging/surround speakers stock and replace the mid door speakers with the boston's (the tweeter can integrate with the woofer like a coaxial or seperate like a component, filling things out a little better i think). i'm not certain how this will blend however. the boston's are very sterile, which i like, while i would say the ML are more warm in tone. i've not owned any of the speakers you have mentioned, but i have heard a few of them and they are all very nice. speaking with a few others in regards to this, memphis audio has been suggested as well. the boston's i purchased are the first i have owned from that brand, and i am very pleased. like i stated previously, they are very sterile which allows you to adjust as you see fit - hence the RF processor with 26bands per channel up front and something like 16bands for the rear. though they are a semi hard dome tweet, they do not fatigue as much as i would have thought in comparison to a soft dome. i have pushed these very hard, and they hold up great. do you plan on running a sub setup with this, or only replacing the front setup? keep me posted with what you find and how things go, and i will do the same. i'm just in the beginning stage of all of this; there is a lot more info i need to gather before i go through with it. i'm sure there will be a bit of troubleshooting needed to do this correctly. GL
Old 10-15-09, 09:56 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

focal make good speakers, i recommend them (but they were installed in my old ride, '90 MB 300E). and with regards to mods, you have to pay to play. getting high SQ (ie: audiophile quality) is no different. at a minimum, you'll need aftermarket crossovers, EQ, amp, wiring, etc. yes you will get better sound with jl cleansweep and drop in speakers, but i doubt the improvement in SQ will be good enough to rate it as audiophile quality (if that is what you are aiming for).
Old 10-15-09, 11:00 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

that's the cool thing about the RF 3sixty.2, it has all you need. it is quite pricey though - 600 bones from crutchfield...