GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Paint Cracked & Chipping. Need Your Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 11:59 PM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
Not going to happen. lol, from watching the court TV shows the judge explained that if it was physically making/prevent them from doing normal work then they can sue. Even if its mentally, they won't grant it.

But yeah, I would file with BBB and get a few estimates. If insurance won't cover it, best to fix it and pursue a claims in the court. Also, put them on blast if they refuse to make the proper repairs.
Just a simple "You will hear from my lawyer soon, and receive a letter from BBB" would scare them into repairing the damages.
Old 07-23-09, 03:25 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

holy fuhhhh! When I tried to roll my fenders I did see some pulling happen and then a hairline crack formed on my paint. From there I stopped. My front (1st) picture looks like that but no chipping, only a hairline crack.

When I do roll my fenders, I will probably borrow the tool and shave the rears.
EXACTLY!

That was my question to them. If it was so bad why did no one stop and call to inform me? Also if the one side looked that bad, why would you go to the next?
Old 07-23-09, 07:37 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,870 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Wow. Looks like a 5 year old took to it with a pair of Vise-Grips. I've never seen a "professional" do work this bad. Definitely worth suing, but keep in mind you'll only get a piece of paper advising them they owe you money. Collecting on it is a whole separate issue, AMHIK.

Document everything - your time to get estimates, any incidental expenses (rental car, etc.) and add it to the bill. It would not surprise me if they fold up shop and reopen under "new management" to avoid paying. I've seen it happen before. Just assume you are going to have to cover it and be pleasantly surprised if you get any money from them at all. Getting a full refund won't even buy the paint, much less restore the car to its original condition.

My heartfelt condolences go out to your GS!
Old 07-23-09, 08:00 AM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Wow. Looks like a 5 year old took to it with a pair of Vise-Grips. I've never seen a "professional" do work this bad.
You took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 07-23-09, 08:06 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

yea my buddy works at the body shop that the car is at and they all said the same thing about pliers. ive been gather all kinds of info from other shops about rolling fenders and pictures from them and statements. i even sent my pics to the one guy and he said hes never seen a job done that bad before.

as far as the shop goes, they seems like a great shop other wise though which is weird. a lot of people say great things about them. they mainly do s13, s14 and s15 swaps and wiring along with custom gauges.

i talked to my insurance lady today and she said she had the pictures sent to her manager to get final approval, which in turn he/she sent it to another higher up. im just preparing for the worse but seeing as my boss is a lawyer he said i have a very strong case against them since i never signed any waiver nor did i sign the reciept saying i was satisfied with the work.

I'll keep everyone updated. good thing is though, someone scratched up my front end so im getting the whole front painted and since the rear is damaged they are repainting the whole car. hey i have to look on the bright side about something.
Old 07-23-09, 08:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

sorry i didn't see this thread earlier. sorry to see all those results. first of all obviously the shop did a very crappy job on the rolling, but that's history already. this is another good example why i have always said do not roll the fender on lexus, shave them instead. even when done right by heating the metal (#1 thing that your shop didn't do...) and then use a good roller (#2 thing that your shop didn't do...), there is still a great chance of paint crack and peel

hopefully your insurance or body shop can get this fixed asap
Old 07-23-09, 08:45 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
sorry i didn't see this thread earlier. sorry to see all those results. first of all obviously the shop did a very crappy job on the rolling, but that's history already. this is another good example why i have always said do not roll the fender on lexus, shave them instead. even when done right by heating the metal (#1 thing that your shop didn't do...) and then use a good roller (#2 thing that your shop didn't do...), there is still a great chance of paint crack and peel

well i was expecting a little chip/hair line cracks like he told me which is why i ordered touch up paint. the results show different.
Old 07-23-09, 09:57 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I completely agree! The metal in the rear is so much thicker and when trying to roll it, it tends to turn out nasty. For the front, its just thin sheet metal.

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
well i was expecting a little chip/hair line cracks like he told me which is why i ordered touch up paint. the results show different.
Lets just say you could have done it. lol, thats prolly how my paint would look if I did it.
Old 07-23-09, 10:04 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

lol thats what i told my insurance. at first she was like "well i dont know if we are going to cover it because you paid for them to do the work and you knew that their may be some paint damage". i told her, yes some minor which touch up paint would fix like we agreed upon. i asked her where does it make sense to you that i would spend 95 dollars to have my fenders rolled only to put out another 5000 to have it finished?
Old 07-23-09, 10:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah i know how you feel. it really sux when you are putting your money on someone you think you can trust but result turned out worse than you doing it yourself

just hope your car can be fixed asap and back to the old shape

I completely agree! The metal in the rear is so much thicker and when trying to roll it, it tends to turn out nasty. For the front, its just thin sheet metal.

Lets just say you could have done it. lol, thats prolly how my paint would look if I did it.
yup, exactly. my rear fenders, i shaved them all. the front, i rolled them
Old 07-23-09, 10:27 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

95 dollars to have my fenders rolled only to put out another 5000 to have it finished?
Is the shop still saying tough we are not going to fix?
Old 07-23-09, 10:41 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS2006
Is the shop still saying tough we are not going to fix?
i havent spoke to them again since the first few times i called. after i told them it was so bad that it needed to go to the body shop, his response was "oh that sucks". so figuring i would get no where with them, i just filed a claim with insurance. if insurance comes back and says they wont pay for it then i am going to call the shop and have him meet me at the body shop to review the car. i want to be civil about it and tell him i know they messed the car up by improperly rolling the fenders. I would be willing to work with him if he is willing to work with me. if he says theres still nothing he can do then my next step is to send him a letter certified mail with all my back up information and threaten legal actions. if still no response then i will have my lawyer draft a letter. hopefully if it gets that far, he will just come to an agreement with me.
Old 07-23-09, 11:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i havent spoke to them again since the first few times i called. after i told them it was so bad that it needed to go to the body shop, his response was "oh that sucks". so figuring i would get no where with them, i just filed a claim with insurance. if insurance comes back and says they wont pay for it then i am going to call the shop and have him meet me at the body shop to review the car. i want to be civil about it and tell him i know they messed the car up by improperly rolling the fenders. I would be willing to work with him if he is willing to work with me. if he says theres still nothing he can do then my next step is to send him a letter certified mail with all my back up information and threaten legal actions. if still no response then i will have my lawyer draft a letter. hopefully if it gets that far, he will just come to an agreement with me.
hope everything works out it always sux when it has to go legal path, but some shops they are just ignorant. and it really pisses me off when some of us literally know more about what to do and how to do than so-called pros
Old 07-23-09, 11:58 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

yup, exactly. my rear fenders, i shaved them all. the front, i rolled them
I have yet to do my rears... offsets are weak but my next set will be really aggressive. I've noticed just feeling under the quarter panel lips that there are metal stud like things coming out, I guess to hold the lining. How did you deal with this part? Pics? lol
Old 07-23-09, 12:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I have yet to do my rears... offsets are weak but my next set will be really aggressive. I've noticed just feeling under the quarter panel lips that there are metal stud like things coming out, I guess to hold the lining. How did you deal with this part? Pics? lol
i am not sure if i get exactly whee you talking about, can you describe more?

will try to explain as much as i can (maybe if i can take some pics i can start another thread on shaving the fenders (rear) and rolling fenders (front)

Quick Reply: Paint Cracked & Chipping. Need Your Advice