GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Another Tire Question/Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-09, 08:17 AM
illini19
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
illini19, if money is an issue, you should look into Continental tires in Tire rack. They are good tires for cheap money. You get always ask your tire dealer to match the tire rack price. I know our local NTW store will match their price plus shipping.
Thanks G. Money not an issue. Just trying to go through all the different + & -of a new set. Reading here and checking reviews and ratings at TR. Thanks for the suggestions. Helps out a bunch.
Old 12-23-09, 05:45 PM
Evel
Driver

Default Follow up On Toyo Versado's

Originally Posted by gsownr
illini19 - The exact same thing happened to me here in Chicago. I won't mention the dealer. I had Ashland Tire check it out and they were able to patch the tire from the inside and the car rode fine. Since then, I have replaced the loud, rough riding Dunlop run flats with a set of Toyo Versado LX's. About $810 OTD. Performed great in the snow this past winter and its great to have a smoother, quieter, ride.
I am tire shopping to replace the same Dunlop Run Flats with regular tires. One of 3 tire shops I have visited for quotes, suggested the Toyo Versado as his top recommendation a $240/tire with a 40K treadlife warranty & 30-days/500 mile trial period. With mount, balance, old tire disposal fee, nitrogen fee, & tire protection, the total quote is $1211.00. Of course, I like your price of $810 much better, but not sure I'm comparing apples to apples.

Anyhow, do you still recommend these tires now?
Old 12-23-09, 06:14 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Evel
I am tire shopping to replace the same Dunlop Run Flats with regular tires. One of 3 tire shops I have visited for quotes, suggested the Toyo Versado as his top recommendation a $240/tire with a 40K treadlife warranty & 30-days/500 mile trial period. With mount, balance, old tire disposal fee, nitrogen fee, & tire protection, the total quote is $1211.00. Of course, I like your price of $810 much better, but not sure I'm comparing apples to apples.

$240 a tire is ridiculous i have 285/25-22 falkens that cost that much go to superbuytires.com and check out all the different tires and prices they have. I have found them to be fairly reasonable Here is the site for your tire; http://superbuytires.com/tires/model/Toyo/Versado/

Last edited by lkapimp216; 12-23-09 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-24-09, 02:23 PM
Evel
Driver

Default Super Buy Tires - Follow UP

Originally Posted by lkapimp216
$240 a tire is ridiculous i have 285/25-22 falkens that cost that much go to superbuytires.com and check out all the different tires and prices they have. I have found them to be fairly reasonable Here is the site for your tire; http://superbuytires.com/tires/model/Toyo/Versado/
Okay, I checked out the site & their prices are higher than quotes received from local tire companies & Tire Rack for every tire options I have received quotes for thus far.

Oh well, it still helps put the quotes I received thus far into perspective.
Old 12-29-09, 08:27 AM
gsownr
Driver School Candidate

Evel, after a year and 7500 miles with the Toyo Versado LX's I'm still very pleased. Just last weekend a friend who has a GS with Dunlop runflats commented on how smooth and quiet the ride is. The $810 included all of the above except nitrogen.
Old 12-29-09, 08:46 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

i always go to treadepot.com for tires. cheapest i found online other than ebay.

also even if the tire was a non-run flat, it is not safe to patch something so close to the sidewall of a tire.
Old 12-29-09, 04:49 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Evel, after a year and 7500 miles with the Toyo Versado LX's I'm still very pleased. Just last weekend a friend who has a GS with Dunlop runflats commented on how smooth and quiet the ride is.
Sorry, but DUH! The Dunlop runflats are horrible. ANYTHING would feel super nice compared to them. I got rid of the Dunlop runflats on my GS after just a couple of weeks of teeth-jarring ride.
Old 12-29-09, 05:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler
Sorry, but DUH! The Dunlop runflats are horrible. ANYTHING would feel super nice compared to them. I got rid of the Dunlop runflats on my GS after just a couple of weeks of teeth-jarring ride.
i have to agree, the dunlop rf are horrible
Old 12-30-09, 06:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Evel, after a year and 7500 miles with the Toyo Versado LX's I'm still very pleased. Just last weekend a friend who has a GS with Dunlop runflats commented on how smooth and quiet the ride is. The $810 included all of the above except nitrogen.
$810 for Toyo tirers? ouch. And you put nitrogen in it ??????
Old 12-30-09, 07:55 AM
Evel
Driver

Default Toyo Versado LX for $810 Installed: Toyo Proxes T1R's Any Good?

GSownr,

It must be the area I live in DC suburb where businesses think everyone has a money tree & inflate their prices. I have received very few total price quotes below $1K & they were either for the Continental DWS or the Bridgestone Pole Positions via Tire Rack w/Merchant installation @ $982 + tax + alignment cost.

A local tire & svc shop did give me a total pkg (install/road hazard/lifetime rotation/balance/alignment/taxes) quote of $1110.00 on a set of Toyo "Proxes T1R's". Have you heard any pros/cons on these Toyo's.

Of course, shortly after you recommended the Toyo Versado LX's, others posted warnings to stay away from Toyo tires in general, claiming they (like the Continentals) wear out fast & don't live up to their treadlife quotes.

Geez, 3 yrs ago it was easier deciding on which car to buy than it is to buy tires. ( - :
Old 12-30-09, 08:18 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what u should have done is find a local installer and than buy the tires online.
Old 01-01-10, 07:51 PM
enigmaos
Driver

Originally Posted by worker
what u should have done is find a local installer and than buy the tires online.
Tirerack
Old 01-02-10, 08:02 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

GSownr,

It must be the area I live in DC suburb where businesses think everyone has a money tree & inflate their prices.
We live in the same area (I'm in Herndon), and I absolutely agree with this sentiment. I almost never buy anything expensive locally. My last four cars were all purchased from far out of state. My 2007 GS450h I bought from a dealer in Long Island, New York. My new / preowned 2007 GS450h I just bought from a wholesaler in Dallas, Texas. Each time I have saved $5,000 - $7,000 over local dealers' prices.

Getting back to the topic of tires: I do believe now that the Continental ContiExtremeContact DWS tire is a completely different animal from the same name (without "DWS") tire that I bought 3 years ago, and that wore out very fast. The tread looks completely different, the treadwear rating is much higher, and the new tires have a very long treadwear warranty. I have now researched these tires, and will likely buy them to replace the runflat crap on my new 2007 GS. There are several online places that sell these tires for $131 each. These tires are on backorder everywhere, but I'm not in a big hurry.
Old 01-02-10, 09:44 AM
Evel
Driver

Default All Season Tires Search

Originally Posted by Modeler
We live in the same area (I'm in Herndon), and I absolutely agree with this sentiment. I almost never buy anything expensive locally. My last four cars were all purchased from far out of state. My 2007 GS450h I bought from a dealer in Long Island, New York. My new / preowned 2007 GS450h I just bought from a wholesaler in Dallas, Texas. Each time I have saved $5,000 - $7,000 over local dealers' prices.

Getting back to the topic of tires: I do believe now that the Continental ContiExtremeContact DWS tire is a completely different animal from the same name (without "DWS") tire that I bought 3 years ago, and that wore out very fast. The tread looks completely different, the treadwear rating is much higher, and the new tires have a very long treadwear warranty. I have now researched these tires, and will likely buy them to replace the runflat crap on my new 2007 GS. There are several online places that sell these tires for $131 each. These tires are on backorder everywhere, but I'm not in a big hurry.
Modeler,

What's up neighbor!?! I'm in South Riding, but work in Reston/Herndon area. Weve probably past one another a few tires on Eldin, Rte 28 of Ffax Cty Parkway a few times Anyhow about the tires seach. My wallet is pushing me toward the Bridgestones (high end) or Conti's (low end) of the money scale.
On Wed I received a written quote from the Tire Plus (McLearen Blvd) on the Bridgestones Pole Positions (245/40-18) for $199.99/ea, a total of $1065.00 (tax incl) w/lifetime balance/rotation & road hazard warranty incl. Alignment cost starts at $75 (6/mo & 6k mi warranty), a 1 yr alignment package ($99 I think) or $140 (3yrs & 36K mi warranty).

Per the quotes I have received, Tire Plus beats Tire Rack's online price of $191/tire when you add the $41 (shipping cost to our area) or $201/tire. Plus you still have to add install cost. The per tire install quotes I've received, if I were to buy from Tire Rack are: $30.99 (NTB), $19.50 (Merchants), or $24 (VA Tire & Auto). Per my math, the Tire Plus route is slightly less than Tire Rack + an installer route; or so little of a difference, dealing w/two companies is not worth the hassle.

As for the Conti's DWS, you know they cost $135/tire via Tire Rack. The quotes I have received from local shops are (does not include alignment):
$667 + tax & misc, per my rough calculations via Tire Rack & Merchants
$706 + tax & misc, per my rough calculations via Tire Rack & NTB
$881 total taxes incl per VA Tire & Auto
$894 + tax & misc, bought direct from NTB
Old 01-02-10, 09:47 AM
HomieG
Driver

It must be the area I live in DC suburb where businesses think everyone has a money tree & inflate their prices.
This is exactly why I purchased my Lexus from a dealer 500 miles away and flew there to drive it back the same day. I paid $7,000 less than local dealers were asking. Not a bad payback for one day of a bit of traveling And I had the satisfaction of then letting the locals know what I did, and why I did it. It amazes me how these values weren't even close.

I am interested to know what the original poster decided to do in the way of tires.

Quick Reply: Another Tire Question/Issue