GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Damn Scratches from the Dealer!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 05:25 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
You are having no luck at all with your GS
You are so correct. They took the dent out so that's the good news...but now they found rattles from the back dash. I'm about to run out of patients.
Old 01-23-09, 06:02 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Rattles in the back are the worst, you almost need a person back there while you are driving to try to ID the rattle location. Not sure what year your GS is, but there is a TSB for rattles in the back window for the 07.
Old 01-23-09, 06:45 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

mjb....are you in the Pittsburgh area? I have exactly the same problem with one of the Lexus dealers in the area. I have a 2008 GS350 AWD and since the car was new, i've had a ton of micro-scratches in the finish that i'm assuming come from the car wash at the dealership. My car is always hand washed and the dealership has instructions to never machine wash the car. They tried to fix it by buffing but the idiots swirled the paint and now it's too cold & nasty for me to do it so it will have to wait until spring. I'll do it myself since i have no confidence in their ability to get it done without more damage.
Old 01-23-09, 10:57 AM
mjb2124
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelPea
mjb....are you in the Pittsburgh area? I have exactly the same problem with one of the Lexus dealers in the area. I have a 2008 GS350 AWD and since the car was new, i've had a ton of micro-scratches in the finish that i'm assuming come from the car wash at the dealership. My car is always hand washed and the dealership has instructions to never machine wash the car. They tried to fix it by buffing but the idiots swirled the paint and now it's too cold & nasty for me to do it so it will have to wait until spring. I'll do it myself since i have no confidence in their ability to get it done without more damage.
Yes, I live in Cranberry. The Lexus dealership I got to is Lexus of North Hills.

According to the Service Manager, this has never happened before and they wash 100's of cars each week. I asked him what he could do to fix the problem and his response was "I don't think there is anything we can do to fix the problem". That's BS, but what I expected. I'm taking my car in on Monday to get the dash rattles looked at and he said he'd look at the scratches then, but it would need washed again for them to do anything about it. I'm sure all they would do is try to buff them out...like you, I have no faith in them so I might tell them not to bother.

I'm tempted to call Lexus Corporate and get them to pay for a professional detailer to fix the scratches. Either that or try to use something like Meguiars ScratchX to remove them.
Old 01-23-09, 11:11 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Hmmm....never happened before? I know of at least one other time it happened. And I just bought the car in Sept so he shouldn't have forgotten it yet. Mine was scratched at delivery though so sales handled the problem rahter than service handling it. If you call Lexus corporate, let me know how it goes. Maybe your efforts can save me a little money since i'm going to have to do it myself since I don't trust the dealer. I'd go to Rohrich but North Hills and Rohrich are owned by the same people.
Old 01-23-09, 11:53 AM
mjb2124
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm....never happened before? I know of at least one other time it happened. And I just bought the car in Sept so he shouldn't have forgotten it yet. Mine was scratched at delivery though so sales handled the problem rahter than service handling it. If you call Lexus corporate, let me know how it goes. Maybe your efforts can save me a little money since i'm going to have to do it myself since I don't trust the dealer. I'd go to Rohrich but North Hills and Rohrich are owned by the same people.
Yeah I figured he was full of it when he stated it never happened before. He's trying to get out of paying for repairs because I told him I'd prefer a professional detailer fix the issue. I don't trust them, nor do I know what happened. All I know is I took my car in with no scratches on it and it came out with 1000's of micro scratches on the car. For him to say there's nothing they can do is BS.

Knowing they created swirl marks trying to get the scratches out is more reason for me to tell them to not touch it. The problem I see is that if I call corporate, corporate is going to want to know that the local dealership did everything they could to fix the problem. If I don't give local that chance, they can say I refused their service.

I don't know exactly what I'm going to do. I just wish I wouldn't have let them wash my car after reading so many threads stating just that.
Old 01-23-09, 12:27 PM
rigs
Driver School Candidate

Default Take it back and get it fixed

That is where I have my 460 serviced as well. I have had some problems with the techs not being careful with my car as well. They put some scratches in my wheel. Needless to say I wasn't happy. They ended up giving me a new wheel.

Deal directly with the service manager Monte Munoz with complaints. If you want to email him mmunoz@magnussenlexus.com. I have had several things that needed to be fixed after scheduled maintainance with them (I drive 60 miles to and from work so I have put quite a few miles in the short time I have owned the car and see those guys a lot for service).

Oh Monte is really concerned with customers giving bad feedback on surveys so let him know that when one comes around you will ding his crew if he doesn't do anything about it.

They also have a in house body shop so they can repaint if need be. PM if you want to rant some more or get some advice on how to deal with them.

Warren
Old 01-23-09, 12:31 PM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arnel619
Sorry guys but I just have to rant.....

I went to get my 5K service here at the Dealer Magnussens in Fremont CA and when I got my car back and did a quick check around the car as I usually do....

What did I find? One scratch near the rear door handle and another deep scratch on the bumper. WTF! I complained to the service advisor and he tried to buff it out. The one near the door pretty much was gone but the one on the bumper was really deep and you can still see it.

My car is pretty damn new for only having 5K miles and I baby the thing. I would have noticed the scratch before I went in to get my service...

I just so pissed that this happened and had to let it out. My car is obsidian black and unfortunately that color you can tell all the defects. Anyone else have issues like this with a dealer and if so, what did you guys do about it?

Oh...Magnussens in Fremont...I bought my 08' GS350 there. Nice dealership building but their service department sucks. I have my 5K service there and I complain about the dash rattle/noise. So they claimed they found the problem and they fixed it by taking out the whole dash and apply some insulations. Well, after I got my car back(at night), the next morning, I found a lot black smudges on both door panels, center armrest, lower dash and even both front seats which show up on my grey interior very well. I was so pissed and added to it, the noise/rattle is still there. Plus I had the Nav bypass kit and they even forgot to plug it back after all. I wont go there again for service anymore.
Old 01-23-09, 12:51 PM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

mjb - If you decide to let them do the work, make sure they take it to the Lexus body shop at Rohrich since North Hills doesn't have a body shop. When they "Fixed" mine by removing scratches and adding swirls, they had it done at a local body shop in the North Hills. I'm pretty sure he's not up to Lexus standards. My GS is Sapphire pearl; nearly black. Obviously, you can't let an amateur work on the paint but I suspect that's exactly what happened. Perhaps take it to Rohrich's body shop and see if they'll address the problem.
Old 01-23-09, 01:43 PM
mjb2124
Driver School Candidate

mjb - If you decide to let them do the work, make sure they take it to the Lexus body shop at Rohrich since North Hills doesn't have a body shop. When they "Fixed" mine by removing scratches and adding swirls, they had it done at a local body shop in the North Hills. I'm pretty sure he's not up to Lexus standards. My GS is Sapphire pearl; nearly black. Obviously, you can't let an amateur work on the paint but I suspect that's exactly what happened. Perhaps take it to Rohrich's body shop and see if they'll address the problem.
Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll give Rohrich a call and see what they think...
Old 01-24-09, 07:06 AM
gs9351
Rookie

This is not uncommon, unfortunately. My VW dealer damaged the interior trim while removing my power seat for a failed lumbar switch. First I tried to live with it, not wanting to get the service tech in trouble, but it bothered me so much I confronted the dealer. They were really good about it and replaced the B-pillar trim and paid for the entire job. To make matters worse, the switch failed again in a few days, and I'm just going to live with it. All of this aggravation for nothing! Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone.

I'm sure most Lexus dealers will accomodate such problems. But that is why I hate to bring my car in for those so-called service campaigns. And I always make sure to refuse the free Lexus car wash!

Last edited by gs9351; 01-24-09 at 07:08 AM. Reason: .