GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

HID Fog Light Kit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-08, 07:01 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh, I'm glad you pointed out that thread again. I read it before, but missed details about ballast placement Did you buy your kit from XenonDepot? In general, do I need to run any extra wires to the ballast or will everything be a drop-in replacement with connectors/adapters and no extra wire splicing required?

I just wish there would be a night time picture comparison of yours w/HID and l4wr3nc3 w/o HID fog lights. I'm still on a fence and not sure if the difference that significant?
Old 11-08-08, 08:10 PM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

is DDM a good brand?
Old 11-09-08, 11:44 AM
LeXgs35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jaxgs350-

I'm glad to hear that because I also run my stock fogs basically all the time when my headlights are on. So I plan on doing the same once the 6500s are installed. However, I'm having them professionally installed by a local customization shop, they've worked on my X5 before and I know they're trustworthy. I don't want to mess with the car myself.
Old 11-09-08, 03:04 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by twister
Uh, I'm glad you pointed out that thread again. I read it before, but missed details about ballast placement Did you buy your kit from XenonDepot? In general, do I need to run any extra wires to the ballast or will everything be a drop-in replacement with connectors/adapters and no extra wire splicing required?

I just wish there would be a night time picture comparison of yours w/HID and l4wr3nc3 w/o HID fog lights. I'm still on a fence and not sure if the difference that significant?
With the XenonDepot kit, you will need to run a lead (or 2) to the battery for the ballast kits - they draw a bit of juice and need to be wired in. The kit had all the wire you need to make the wire runs to the battery. I think (trying to recall now, been almost 2 years) you also need to run ground leads to the frame (or acceptable grounding point) too.... my local Lexus dealer did the install and I watched as they did it... was not too difficult as I recall....
Old 11-09-08, 03:06 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeXgs35
jaxgs350-

I'm glad to hear that because I also run my stock fogs basically all the time when my headlights are on. So I plan on doing the same once the 6500s are installed. However, I'm having them professionally installed by a local customization shop, they've worked on my X5 before and I know they're trustworthy. I don't want to mess with the car myself.
Cool. Just tell them to put 'em up high in the wheel well, and run a drip loop so there is no water feed from the wires running into the ballast. Mine were screwed in (no tape), but it sounds like some have used double-side HD mount tape with success as well.
Old 11-10-08, 10:46 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi,

Our ballasts actually are low draw ballasts.

If you prefer not to use a relay harness you can purchase our Volt kit. This kit is only $119.99 and literally plugs into your factory wiring (no leads to the battery).

Please view this link for more pictures and a product review:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=volt+hid

Steve
Old 11-10-08, 06:17 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Uh, so if I get a regular kit, I will have to run leads to the battery because of relay harness. For plug and play and no splicing Volt HID kit? Is $119.99 with CL coupon code?

So what is a difference between Xtreme HID kit (requiring leads to battery) and Volt HID kit (plug'n'play)? I can see only relay being mentioned on your website. How come Volt kit doesn't come in 3000k? How hard is it to connect relay harness to the battery?
Old 11-11-08, 08:19 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hi,

Neither the Volt or Xtreme kit will require any sort of splicing. Both will be plug+play. If you are looking to get the Volt kit you will not need to use a coupon code.

The main differences between the 2 kits are:

1) Xtreme kit has a relay harness whereas the Volt kit does not.

2) The Xtreme kit uses Japanese bulbs and ballasts whereas the Volt kit uses Taiwanese components.

3) The Xtreme bulbs use German made Philips anti-UV quartz glass.

4) The Volt is not available in 3000k.

Steve
Old 11-11-08, 08:44 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Steve, hopefully others will find this discussion educational too

So, how easy is it to connect that relay harness to the battery? Is this clips right on the battery? I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the other posts where other steps of connection seems to be very easy. BTW, really appreciate your support to a potential customer
Old 11-11-08, 10:17 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hi,

The relay harness is a plug+play upgrade. You will not need to cut, splice, etc.. any wires. The harness that comes with our kit will have a proper 9006 mating connector that will literally plug into your vehicle's OEM 9006 headlight harness. The battery lead will have a ring terminal that you can use to connect the wire to the battery.

No problem at all. I also got your PM and provided you with my contact phone number. If you like, I would be more than happy to give you a call and save you on the long distance.

Steve