GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

People Who Want The Dealership To Adjust Your Headlights Read This Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-08, 09:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Default People Who Want The Dealership To Adjust Your Headlights Read This Thread

I took my GS in for the headlight adjustment, and they initially told me that they were in spec and even went so far as to tell me they wernt adjustable. If you want them to do it without problems and they tell you they are in spec. You tell them that the damn instructions for adjustment is in the manual in the do it yourself section pg 430 in my manual. When I told my rep at the service area of this he was kind of upset that the tech just wrote the whole thing off as unadjustable/ in spec. Needless to say they felt embarrassed and got it done for me the next week while getting the dash rattle tsib taken care of. So again just tell you dont care if they are in spec. they are not to your satisfaction and can be done by the owner, but you want them to do it. They should do it for you with no problem. Just tell them to raise the bubble a couple of nothches and balance the right and left. Now I can see at least a time and a half as far as I used to see. I live in a mountainous/ hilly area that is near some rural areas so traslation...... NO LIGHTS ON THE STREET. Now I can see without using my highbeams
Old 03-06-08, 09:45 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cant believe the tech said they were unadjustable
Old 03-07-08, 03:41 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

nobody told me they were unadjustable but the dealer gave me the in spec, sorry routine. mumbled about safety issues of taking them out of spec etc. i just did it myself instead. maybe should have pushed them harder. grrrr. but i'm satisfied with my own adjustment. was one of my biggest gripes with the car when new.
Old 03-07-08, 05:16 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Same here, the dealer gave me the song and dance. I just smile and at her and did it myself. I spend less time doing it myself than to argue with them
Old 03-07-08, 07:36 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I took my GS in for the headlight adjustment, and they initially told me that they were in spec and even went so far as to tell me they wernt adjustable. If you want them to do it without problems and they tell you they are in spec. You tell them that the damn instructions for adjustment is in the manual in the do it yourself section pg 430 in my manual. When I told my rep at the service area of this he was kind of upset that the tech just wrote the whole thing off as unadjustable/ in spec. Needless to say they felt embarrassed and got it done for me the next week while getting the dash rattle tsib taken care of. So again just tell you dont care if they are in spec. they are not to your satisfaction and can be done by the owner, but you want them to do it. They should do it for you with no problem. Just tell them to raise the bubble a couple of nothches and balance the right and left. Now I can see at least a time and a half as far as I used to see. I live in a mountainous/ hilly area that is near some rural areas so traslation...... NO LIGHTS ON THE STREET. Now I can see without using my highbeams

Perhaps not for you because of where you live, but could there be legal issues associated with adjusting the height of one's headlight beam? I recall when I lived in D.C. that the local law was very strict about such things. In fact, and maybe no longer, but then it was even illegal to use high beams in the city.

Just curious, because in some instances the service department may cite the law in a particular locality for why they cannot adjust the height of headlight beams.
Old 03-07-08, 07:42 AM
GatorWPB
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info I8ABMR
My headlights are a little uneven and I will certainly be telling them to adjust them up a nothc when I next bring it it.
Old 03-07-08, 10:08 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Perhaps not for you because of where you live, but could there be legal issues associated with adjusting the height of one's headlight beam? I recall when I lived in D.C. that the local law was very strict about such things. In fact, and maybe no longer, but then it was even illegal to use high beams in the city.

Just curious, because in some instances the service department may cite the law in a particular locality for why they cannot adjust the height of headlight beams.

it's certainly a safe scripted answer that they can fall back on. "in spec", "as intended" for many types of request. I suppose local laws may make some dealers more rigid but IMO it's usually just easier for them to follow the script.

Not one single driver has flashed brights at me since i adjusted them...and i can see much better.
Old 03-07-08, 03:38 PM
nterface
Driver School Candidate

I've said it before...this is a major issue for folks like myself on curvy, hilly roads. I adjusted mine over a 1-1/2 ago and don't recall being brighted for my lights.

That spec excuse may be technically correct, but it sure is lame. I can't believe this hasn't been officially addressed yet.
Old 03-07-08, 03:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorWPB
Thanks for the info I8ABMR
My headlights are a little uneven and I will certainly be telling them to adjust them up a nothc when I next bring it it.
just keep in mind, they are supposed to be uneven. the left side is supposed to be lower than the right. of course if they are off a lot, then you haev issues, but off by little, that's normal
Old 03-07-08, 04:07 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

supposed to look like this

Old 03-09-08, 05:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

That exactly what mine looked like before the adjustment. The last car I had gave me a better view at night and no probs with oncoming cars. When it comes to my safety, the courtesy crap doesnt cut it anymore
Old 03-09-08, 06:10 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

i still have my higher on the right than left, but both are higher than they were originally. that's what made a big diff for me.
Old 03-10-08, 05:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Same here, my right headlight is all the way up on the leveler and my left is 1/2 notch below that.
Old 03-10-08, 10:41 AM
GatorWPB
Driver

hmmm, well my right is slightly lower than my left. so they definitely need to be adjusted.
Old 03-12-08, 12:02 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

They are much much better but I will have them adjust them a hair hugher next time.

Quick Reply: People Who Want The Dealership To Adjust Your Headlights Read This Thread