GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My 1,000 mile review -- VERY positive

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-08, 08:34 AM
GatorWPB
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really glad to see your opinion of the car has improved. I appreciated your review of the car when you first got it, but of course disagreed with you on many points. Now I find that I agree with you on most of you review now.
I have yet to figure out what controls the headlight washers, but when I am driving at night and use the windshield washer, I will notice the headlights go dim and realize that must be the washers in action.
I love the ML and the parking assist. I also have been watching DVDs on a few occasions now that I have the override installed. Resolution is amazing IMO for a small screen.
I like the folding mirrors and use them pretty frequently in these downtown parking garages. Would certainly be better if they were automatic.

Originally Posted by steverhode
You'll have to stop driving for quite a while for me to catch up with you since I have had my car for 3 months now and have a little over 900 miles on it.
Had the car 2 days short of 3 months and have 7k miles on it already.
Old 03-06-08, 08:45 AM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

great write up!
Old 03-06-08, 10:49 AM
BmoreGS4
Pole Position

A positive review?!?!?!?!?! LOL well I never thought I'd see the day but I'm glad you have warmed up 2 the 3GS...I too was madly in love with my 2GS, but the 3 isn't such a bad dance partner...
Old 03-06-08, 01:50 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Default 100, 1000, 10000 ...

Originally Posted by BmoreGS4
A positive review?!?!?!?!?! LOL well I never thought I'd see the day but I'm glad you have warmed up 2 the 3GS...I too was madly in love with my 2GS, but the 3 isn't such a bad dance partner...
Things DO change, as I detailed in my 1,000 mile review.

I stand by BOTH my original 100 mile review as well as my 1,000 mile one. I told it like was for me, both times and in detail.

I'll do another when I get to 10,000 miles, but I fully expect my 10,000 mile review to be little more than a reaffirmation of what I said after 1,000 miles.

And, in 4(?) years, I look forward to writing my 4GS review!
Old 03-06-08, 05:53 PM
jenadamson
Driver

I'm a little over 6100 on mine (got it mid-Dec) and agree with most of your assessments. Have to disagree on uselessness of side mirrors though - I use them every day going into/out of my garage - it would be nice if they were (more) auto, but it sure beats the "get out of the car" manual ones on my 2GS.

I'm also loving the parking assist - sure helps fitting in my garage! The rear camera is also great, especially for backing out from in between two Texas sized pickups.

It took me about a month and lots of little changes to finally get the seat right, but now it's perfect.

The cassette deck is at least good for a laugh any time someone rides with me in my car the first time.

As for the rear sunshade, I put it up every day at work because I don't have covered parking in an attempt at protecting the inside (getting tint soon) - not sure how effective it is, though... I wouldn't want to have to put it up while driving because that drop down is hard to see unless you move your head over and look down.

One thing I"m really used to now and love is the keyless access. Great for when your hands are full!!

I'm glad you're loving your car now!
Old 03-06-08, 06:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

good to see you enjoying your car. Lexus should check out your review. Im sue thats the kind of info they want from consumers
Old 03-08-08, 11:16 AM
chaitov52
Rookie

Default Excellent observations

I had to get rid of our 06 IS250 because of the rise in the middle of the front seats (I have a medical condition that makes it difficult to sit for long periods of time even under the best of circumstances). The thing that sold me on our 07 GS was the "flatness" and firmness of the seats . . . felt like a M-B . . . but it took driving around town and on the highway several times before I found the right adjustment for me.

I tried to get Lexus to reverse engineer the outside mirrors to become automatic/manual and they can't do it, and the after-market shop I use wouldn't touch it but let me know that one of their technicians would for $600+. Well, what kind of guarantee would that be??? Decided to wait until next Gen on that one.

Have to agree with you and disagree with the others on the Levinson sound system. Give me Bose any day, but the Lexus Premium sound system actually sounds better in our GS than the M-L in our new 08 RX400h. Go figure!

We've learned alot from our new 08 RX400h on how to re-think driving. The weather is nice out here until May and we aren't using the A/C. Gas mpg went up from 17.6 to 20.1 around town. So if your weather permits, you might be able to squeeze a few more mpg too.

I can assure you the sunshade in the rear makes a huuuuuge difference in the desert, especially when the outside temperature is 120 degrees and the sun is to your back when you are the passenger riding in the back seat. Our 04 ES330 had the sunshade and when we got the 06 IS250, it didn't have the sunshade and we could really tell the difference in temperature (when parked) and comfort (for back seat passengers)

Love the car, and glad you are learning to love yours.
Old 03-08-08, 11:54 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chaitov52
I had to get rid of our 06 IS250 because of the rise in the middle of the front seats (I have a medical condition that makes it difficult to sit for long periods of time even under the best of circumstances). The thing that sold me on our 07 GS was the "flatness" and firmness of the seats . . . felt like a M-B . . . but it took driving around town and on the highway several times before I found the right adjustment for me.

I tried to get Lexus to reverse engineer the outside mirrors to become automatic/manual and they can't do it, and the after-market shop I use wouldn't touch it but let me know that one of their technicians would for $600+. Well, what kind of guarantee would that be??? Decided to wait until next Gen on that one.

Have to agree with you and disagree with the others on the Levinson sound system. Give me Bose any day, but the Lexus Premium sound system actually sounds better in our GS than the M-L in our new 08 RX400h. Go figure!

We've learned alot from our new 08 RX400h on how to re-think driving. The weather is nice out here until May and we aren't using the A/C. Gas mpg went up from 17.6 to 20.1 around town. So if your weather permits, you might be able to squeeze a few more mpg too.

I can assure you the sunshade in the rear makes a huuuuuge difference in the desert, especially when the outside temperature is 120 degrees and the sun is to your back when you are the passenger riding in the back seat. Our 04 ES330 had the sunshade and when we got the 06 IS250, it didn't have the sunshade and we could really tell the difference in temperature (when parked) and comfort (for back seat passengers)

Love the car, and glad you are learning to love yours.
I live in the Silicon Valley where the temps are normally 40-80 degrees. If I lived in a harsher environment, perhaps I would appreciate the rear sunshade more.

My ML comments were based on the comparison of GSs with and without ML. I can't tell any difference. I only got ML so I could get the parking assist, which I love. I do think that the GS's audio system (w or w/o ML) is a good one.

I really hope the 4GS gets the outside mirrors right. I have a tight garage and would appreciate an automatic retraction feature, but, in the drop box, which I can't see or get to easily, means the current retraction feature is of no value to me whatsoever.
Old 03-08-08, 01:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts

love it... love it. love it.

I just wish there was GS450h AWD. I would get that in instant.
Old 03-08-08, 03:32 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Bose car audio systems are one of the most over rated, over price and over hype car audio systems out there. No bass and no clarity. Owners on other forum such as Infinity all wish they had the ML system instead.
Old 03-09-08, 09:54 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

Steverhode,

I actually had the SAME complaint about my seats when I first got the car. I had to stop the car get out and stretch all the time. Now that I have had the car for a while (14k miles now) I can drive the car for hours with no problem. It was pretty painful at first though.
Old 03-09-08, 10:42 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AlBoston
Steverhode,

I actually had the SAME complaint about my seats when I first got the car. I had to stop the car get out and stretch all the time. Now that I have had the car for a while (14k miles now) I can drive the car for hours with no problem. It was pretty painful at first though.
Thanks for sharing this. Now I don't feel quite so stupid or picky.
Old 03-10-08, 09:13 AM
ahearn
Rookie

Thanks for the great review and taking the time to do it.

I agree with most, and I agree that some of the things we think are big problems at first seem to go away after a while. I don't have any problems with interior room -- it's a sprots sedan. I also don't have a problem with the drop-down control box -- it's actually kind of cool.

I too wasn't much impressed with the ML sound system with radio and CDs, until I put a movie DVD in. The surround sound was incredible.

Is it normal for a GS 350 to get only 17mpg on the highway? Is it AWD? I got 24 in my GS 460 on the highway on a long trip in my first 1000 miles, and 25+ at 2000 miles.
Old 03-10-08, 10:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I always hear complains about the drop down box from owners and reviews. Just imagine how busy the dash would look with all those buttons on it. Kind of like the new Acura MDX, I think someone counted the number of button on that car with the tech package, it was like 78 buttons or something like that.
Old 03-10-08, 11:17 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ahearn
Thanks for the great review and taking the time to do it.

Is it normal for a GS 350 to get only 17mpg on the highway? Is it AWD? I got 24 in my GS 460 on the highway on a long trip in my first 1000 miles, and 25+ at 2000 miles.
Mine is an RWD as was my 98 GS300, which got 16.5MPG. I get just slightly (17.7) better in my 2008 GS350 RWD.

I don't do much highway driving. Most of my trips are around town with speeds in the 30-50 MPH range. When I get on the highway, it's just for about 5 miles, cutting across town. There I drive 65-75, sometimes, but rarely, as high as 80. Lots of start and stop driving is what I do.

Quick Reply: My 1,000 mile review -- VERY positive