GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Looking Into Body Kits. Can You Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-08, 12:30 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
it's also true that jdm does NOT mean perfect fit. a lot of times work is still needed to make them fit flush or to eliminate some gap, etc... but it's about doing the right thing and support the industry as a car enthusiast. i can care less if knock offs fit better or cheaper, i have no respect for people who buy knock offs. do it once and do it right
true. even if the knock off fits 100% better, i cannot see myself with a replica. for some its fine if they want the look.. but for me, its a lifestyle.

i gotta admit that i was pretty dissapointed in the AIMGAIN fitment.
Old 03-04-08, 12:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by ILOVEGIRLS
true. even if the knock off fits 100% better, i cannot see myself with a replica. for some its fine if they want the look.. but for me, its a lifestyle.

i gotta admit that i was pretty dissapointed in the AIMGAIN fitment.
indeed, i was surprised to hear that. i guess it was pretty bad? so far of all teh body kits i have owned, wald does have some very good fitment out of the box "in general". i was thinking aimgain for the 3gs, maybe i should check out more details
Old 03-04-08, 02:21 PM
3m ta3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I got my Rando kit the front air dam did'nt fit.It was a 3/4 of inch short from being flush.A little work to it and it was on.Once you decide on a kit make sure you can get replacement parts for it & not the whole kit just for one piece.I think my O.G. air dam lasted about 2 months,thanks to my dealership.They paid for the cost of a replacement,it was'nt the rando but L-tuned air dam.I did'nt want to wait 6 weeks for a replacement from japan.But the l-tuned lip was a perfect fit.
Old 03-04-08, 10:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
Excellent point. I bought the supposedly higher quality version of the
kits and there were still some fitment issues.

The body shop struggled a bit with my Fabulous lip. I think they had to
heat it up a bit to make it fit.

I had to take back my Wald sideskirts because they were kind of rotating
around.

The INGS rear bumper still does not fit all that well. There are some gaps
there and there is a gap on the bumper area where they tried to put it
back on.
This is the kind of stuff I need to know. Man I am **** when it comes to my car, and I dont want to create a whole new source of stress. I might just do the door handles and maybe a sound system. I will have to think about it. It seems like alot of money to have to accept some things as less than perfect. My last car had the bumper repainted 8 times bec I wasnt happy with the color match or tthey would small areas where you could see the paint dripped. I hate going to body shops. If the work isnt perfect its a pain in the *** to redo anything. Its more time and money for a rental, plus the headache.
Old 03-04-08, 11:06 PM
808 GS
Rookie

If you buy a higher end body kit, it "should" fit pretty well and be very durable. You might not be able to just bolt it on and go, but if you take it to a quality body shop they will be able to perfect the fit in all the areas where need be and put a nice coat of paint on it. Just remember, if perfection is what you seek, it's not going to come cheap. Pay to play.

It seems you are quite particular with your car, but from the problems you describe from your previous body shop, I don't think you took it to a quality shop. Having to do it 8 times and drips is totally unacceptable and screams amateur. Still I don't know how particular you can be when you can't see the mismatch on your factory bumpers. Trust me, it's there. However slight, but it's still there.

Just take it to a high end shop and you won't have to worry.
Old 03-04-08, 11:39 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

rominl,

my car is at backyard autobody right now. you can ask joe what he had to do it to make it fit right. i only have a few pics but im going to upload them once the car is finished.

pretty much problem areas:

headlight gaps
corners lining up at the fenders were not too good
the rear bumper trunk area did not line up
the rear bumper did not line up with the rear quarter panels (had gaps)

there are few more things but that covers the major ones.
Old 03-06-08, 02:23 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I've experienced important is the skill of the person actually performs the painting and fitting job. I went to this shop recommended by a member but got this sloppy worker doing my car (paint/install), he fractured both front and rear lips and excused as the body kit was difficult to put on. Luckily, the painting was matching and the owner made effort to repair. But the fixed damage is there, it's just hard to see with my black car. I still regret that I didn't install the kit myself. I have the INGS+1 full body kit.
Old 03-06-08, 02:28 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Overall, I am pleased with the changes even though it is a complete
waste of money.
Why is it a complete waste of money?
Old 03-06-08, 02:41 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reggiek
Why is it a complete waste of money?
Well, OK, I exaggerate, it's not a complete waste of money, but I definitely
think I should've spent the money elsewhere...
Old 03-06-08, 06:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Well, OK, I exaggerate, it's not a complete waste of money, but I definitely
think I should've spent the money elsewhere...
Thanks for being honest man. I dont want to create problems for myself. If the colr match thing seems to be a standard issue, plus fittment issues then F$#K THAT. When you look at the kits or browse the web sites they always say excellent fitment. Obviously not. If the unit was designed to fit the car then damn it it should fit the car. What you guys are implying is that these imperfection are the nature of the beast. I bought a lexus bec I wanted perfection and reliability. I will not ruin that perfection and reliability by slapping on a body kit. If I ever did one I guess it would be safest to get it through Lexus Japan so you know the part fits and looks like an OEM part. The lexus kits are not that nice looking or noticeable. Why cant lexus offer aero kits when purchasing the car like infiniti. The M comes with a full aero kit that makes the car look more sporty relative the GS
Old 03-06-08, 07:07 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Thanks for being honest man. I dont want to create problems for myself. If the colr match thing seems to be a standard issue, plus fittment issues then F$#K THAT. When you look at the kits or browse the web sites they always say excellent fitment. Obviously not. If the unit was designed to fit the car then damn it it should fit the car. What you guys are implying is that these imperfection are the nature of the beast. I bought a lexus bec I wanted perfection and reliability. I will not ruin that perfection and reliability by slapping on a body kit. If I ever did one I guess it would be safest to get it through Lexus Japan so you know the part fits and looks like an OEM part. The lexus kits are not that nice looking or noticeable. Why cant lexus offer aero kits when purchasing the car like infiniti. The M comes with a full aero kit that makes the car look more sporty relative the GS
Don't sweat it....the 3GS looks good without a kit. Some kits do little to enhance the car since it has a tall stock body.

I had the same experience as others where the shop techs had to work like heck to make it fit. Then you have to drive more carefully to protect it from damage. Then there's the color matching issue. Yeah, don't sweat it.
Old 03-06-08, 07:40 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Thanks for being honest man.
No problems. That's what we are all here for, to share information that
will hopefully be useful to others.

I have gotten used to the imperfections, but it sometimes does annoy me
that it was so beautifully put together at the factory and now there are
noticeable blemishes. The body kit experience definitely has its ups and
downs.
Old 03-06-08, 08:09 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Some people are too picky about things... that will never change. You can pay $$$$ for anything, but in truth it wont be perfect.

Me, I'm willing to buy replicas and make them fit, if need be. My friend recently got a replica fabulous kit for his 2IS and it fits pretty well. Its too bad they dont make any NICE looking replicas for the 3GS yet... so I have to wait and buy a real kit.
Old 03-06-08, 08:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I really appreciate the input and the help you guys. I think I will roll kitless for now. I am a mod/tuner freak. If Im not modding I get bored with the car. So we'll see how long this lasts. Thanks again