GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Illuminated Door Sill Plates - Lexus.com

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09, 12:37 PM
mackel53
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

scorpio, thats how i have it hooked up now i just need to find the rear power source in the cowl.

storm, have you ever looked in the cowl area since the install?

do i have to test (with a voltmeter) the female side of the connectors or the male? im guessing female. ill have to try in agian in a couple of days when i get home.
Old 08-21-09, 12:48 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^ sorry, haven't looked since the install
Old 08-21-09, 12:51 PM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, this thread still goes on after more than 2 yrs. LOL!!!
Old 08-21-09, 10:52 PM
mackel53
Driver School Candidate

lol and seems as though nobody has did the japan rears as a DIY, and got a shop to do it.

i will try and post up pics in a few days of the cowls and where i tapped in to.

still need help with rear wiring though, just want to make sure that i should be looking for a pink wire in both driver and passenger cowls? can anyone confrim?
Old 08-21-09, 11:25 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by mackel53
lol and seems as though nobody has did the japan rears as a DIY, and got a shop to do it.

i will try and post up pics in a few days of the cowls and where i tapped in to.

still need help with rear wiring though, just want to make sure that i should be looking for a pink wire in both driver and passenger cowls? can anyone confrim?
pink is for the rears only. can't remember the color for the fronts, but the pdf install instructions for the fronts should tell you
Old 08-22-09, 03:14 PM
mackel53
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stormforge
pink is for the rears only. can't remember the color for the fronts, but the pdf install instructions for the fronts should tell you
pink in both driver and passenger cowls right? Yes, i've done the front correctly. Right now rears are hooked up to the front power source.
Old 08-24-09, 12:26 PM
mackel53
Driver School Candidate

ok, so i've tried testing the wires on the female part of the cowl (fixed to the car). i tried touching the negative wire with the negative probe and testing the red positive pin and didn't get a reading, but i think the battery is low on my voltmeter. so ill have to replace battery and try again.

is this way im explaining the right way or a good way to test for the power wire or should i go about it a different way (safer, don't want to blow anymore fuses).

ill probably give up and wire it to the foot well lights if testing for the wire is to difficult.
mackel53 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old 08-24-09, 08:56 PM
nomobmw
Driver School Candidate

I found it was much easier and faster to simply remove the rear seat and tap directly into the back of the rear door switch for the JDM lighted sill plates. .

I had the instructions for the US ones to get the proper wire for the fronts, but I noticed that the harness had a really long black clip for the rear sill which conveniently reached to the rear switch. It only took about 5 mins to remove the rear seat once I gave up on trying to locate the proper wire in the harness. .

Last edited by nomobmw; 08-27-09 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-25-09, 01:08 AM
mackel53
Driver School Candidate

dam, everythings wired to the front cowl already. yeah i noticed that about the wire too.

i think that was the real way of doing it, otherwise why the long black wire.

did you tap right into the courtesy door switch from behind the back seat. which color wire you tap into?
Old 08-25-09, 04:04 PM
nomobmw
Driver School Candidate

mackel53,

There is only one wire that goes to the door switch. . it connects with the body metal for ground. . .

Once you have the seat out, it's easy to see. . one wire with a plastic loom around it. The loom is slit on the side so you can reveal the wire.

The long black wire is easy to fish up from the base of the sill up there, and it simply clamps on. I wrapped in in the foam tape patches as well to keep it from making any noise.

Unfortunately I can't guarantee that the wire was pink. . but I think it was. .
Old 08-25-09, 09:41 PM
THE.K.W.C
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

where is the cheapest place to get all four lexus sills?
Old 08-26-09, 06:06 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

don't know about cheap, but I ordered mine from Carson toyota (l-tunedparts.com). He has to order them from Japan and it takes 4-6 weeks to get them in.

$585 plus shipping http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2019

I had my dealership install mine...took them 3 full days, but only charged me for 2 hours of labor ($190). If you've been keeping up with Mack's posts....I'd recommend getting a high end car stereo shop to do the install for you. Wiring the fronts are easy....wiring the backs....not so much.
Old 08-27-09, 12:12 AM
THE.K.W.C
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
don't know about cheap, but I ordered mine from Carson toyota (l-tunedparts.com). He has to order them from Japan and it takes 4-6 weeks to get them in.

$585 plus shipping http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2019

I had my dealership install mine...took them 3 full days, but only charged me for 2 hours of labor ($190). If you've been keeping up with Mack's posts....I'd recommend getting a high end car stereo shop to do the install for you. Wiring the fronts are easy....wiring the backs....not so much.

haha.Iam a high end stereo shop, my car will never go to any shop. if it took lexus 3 full days then they blew some thing up and had to wait to get the part in. NO way they had a minor problem the broke something. the sills wire up to the door pin switch which is the black button on the frame of the door. u can find the wire by popping off the factory kick plates it will be a single wire that goes up the door to the switch. the install should take no more then 1.5 hours. I did these on a chevy truck for a friend. If i get a good deal on a set ill do a DIY write up for the CL.
Old 08-27-09, 05:46 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

I can't dispute that they may have "broke" something...they did blow a fuse, but the door lights work...as they should. This is the whole reason I took the car to the dealer to have them installed....if they break something then they're responsible for fixing it...not me. I think being quoted 2 hours falls in line with what you think the charge should have been. If they had quoted me $1000 and 3 days I would have taken it elsewhere. $195 to have it done right and be warrantied by Lexus is well worth it, to me. Not having my car for 3 days plus the weekend sucked, but at least I had a loaner.

here's another site that has them...they want $599 plus shipping

http://www.jzsinternational.com/serv...300-350/Detail
Old 08-27-09, 10:53 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by jtrue28
here's another site that has them...they want $599 plus shipping

http://www.jzsinternational.com/serv...300-350/Detail
that site doesn't say whether its for a set of 4 or just the fronts.

Quick Reply: Illuminated Door Sill Plates - Lexus.com