GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Partial tint or no tint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07, 10:31 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Partial tint or no tint?

That is a question

I'm *fortunate* enough to be in a state where front window tinting is illegal. To make this matter even worse, our state inspections are free and done locally where they will not pass it with a front window tint. So, having front windows tinted will require you taking it off everytime you will have to renew your inspection and will give cops an excuse to pull you over to meet their end-of-the-month ticketing quota (Jersey is really bad )

I did have rear window only tint on my previous car which was also black color, and never was too crazy about it. Last year when I had my ES350 for 4 month, I did front/back 35% but had to roll down windows going through all the cop check points which they like to do in my area. So, what do you guys think: keep it without a tint, or do you think keeping rear windows tinted while front not is still OK? Maybe if I go with just a rear window tinting and do it light at 45%-50%? Just for reference, my car is Silver with black interior.
Old 07-27-07, 10:52 AM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is GFM and i didnt want to have some really dark tint put on it and make it look like im a drug dealer or something. its waaay too nice/classy of a car to make it look like i live in the ghetto. I decided to go with 50% tint all the way around, including the windshield. Since my car has black interior, it actually looks darker than you think from the outside BUT its so light that multiple people have asked me if my car has factory tint. the whole car looks like its smoked instead of tinted. IMHO.....its perfect. Here are some pics of before and after. the top pics are before, the bottem after!

NAV/BT/DVD Hack/VAIS next week!
Old 07-27-07, 11:34 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

personally i'd vote for no tint or do a light tint all around like the PP did. i think untinted front vs. dark back is reserved for SUVs

it's illegal in CA also, but i have 35% all around on a GFM. but if i had to get state inspection each year, i would probably avoid it if it was going to be that big a hassle. if you do a light tint on front, will they let you slide?
Old 07-27-07, 11:55 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

My brother has a silver car with dark tint in the back and none up front but it's a 2nd gen. It actually doesn't look too bad. If you'd like to see a pic just let me know
Old 07-27-07, 12:03 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, I would never tint the windshield, just front driver/passenger windows. Our state inspections are not every year, I think its every other year and with a new car purchase you get an additional year or so? I know some older ES had factory yellowish tint, and I even seen some MB with blueish factory tint. Nothing they can do about it, but I wonder if they actually have a list of cars with factory tint to path through. That 50% actualy looks kind of dark, could be my pc monitor setting I guess I can always try it by putting a piece of tint next to the window to see how it looks. Some of the reputable tinting places here in NJ don't even carry anything lighter than 35% and they feel offended when you ask them for lighter shade.
Old 07-27-07, 12:05 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Seize
My brother has a silver car with dark tint in the back and none up front but it's a 2nd gen. It actually doesn't look too bad. If you'd like to see a pic just let me know
Yes, please!!! This is a reason why I actually posted this topic. I seen 2nd gen white GS with back lite tint but not front windows. So, it made me think.
Old 07-27-07, 12:09 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by twister
Yes, please!!! This is a reason why I actually posted this topic. I seen 2nd gen white GS with back lite tint but not front windows. So, it made me think.
Ask and you shall receive

Old 07-27-07, 12:12 PM
Kroozin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tinted in back with none up front still looks nice.

As an alternative, I would go with 35% in the rear and 50% up front. The contrast between the windows makes the front windows *look* like they don't have any tint but you still get the benefits of a cooler interior.

I once received a tint ticket for 35% all around in an aggressively patrolled area but after going to this combo I was never bothered again. I'm running that combo now and I think it looks pretty good.

The question is whether this combo could fool your state inspectors(?). As long as they don't roll the windows down to inspect the edges I think it might.
Old 07-27-07, 01:10 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Please... do tint all around or no tint at all!!!

IMO, half-and-half, are reserved for SUVs, mini vans, and SUV wana be's (still a mini van).

Whole purpose of window tint is to protect your interior against UVs. You might be able to get away if you get a tint that is really light, that is almost invisible for them to tell if you have tint on it or not.

Grew up in NJ, missed the Guidos, but not the laws...
Old 07-27-07, 02:07 PM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

im just not a big fan of dark in the back and no tint in front. i dont think it looks nice enough for a Lexus. Maybe a Honda Civic or something, but not a Lexus.....IMHO!

BTW Twister, its probably a combination of my picture and the muggy weather that makes the windows look darker than they actually are. The GFM paint actually looks kinda grey in these pics too. Beleive me, 50% is REALLY light tint!

NAV/BT/DVD Hack/VAIS next week!
Old 07-27-07, 02:08 PM
houstonsc4
Driver

I agree with SLK DDS

Tint all around or none at all!! IMHO.

Jimmy
Old 07-27-07, 02:12 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

I live by the same philisophy. Tint the same percentage all the way around or no tint at all. I don't even like 2 tone tints; front to rear.

But then again, in AZ we don't get harassed for tint so I run 15% all the way around. Many folks run 5% all the way around, but that can be a biatch to see at night.

Steve
Old 07-27-07, 04:36 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 07350FROST
BTW Twister, its probably a combination of my picture and the muggy weather that makes the windows look darker than they actually are. The GFM paint actually looks kinda grey in these pics too. Beleive me, 50% is REALLY light tint!
That's what I thought. 50% should be light. Here is a pic of my previous ES350 with 35% tint (black interior makes it appear darker) which looks in the picture just a shade darker than yours:

I might have to do more research about the state inspection and their rules, and than consider 50% all the way around. Even a shade darker adds some class to GS

Oh, and I was under impression our 3GS windows already have polarized UV protection?

The law in NJ was set a short while ago when a state cop was shot while he couldn't see them pulling out a gun behind tinted front window.
Old 07-27-07, 05:07 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

if you do decide to tint front/back the same, i wouldn't go lighter than 40. 50 is really really light and you may pick up your car from the tint shop and think, "where's the tint?"

i did 40% on my audi b/c it has a black interior and i didn't want to be hassled by the cops either. 40% looks very classy on a black interior, not "ghetto" at all. it's just dark enough to reduce heat and add privacy, but not too dark that i have to open my sunroof when driving by a cop. i can post a pic of that if you are interested in what 40% looks like. basically, 40% on black is almost equiv to 35% on grey interior, IMO.
Old 07-27-07, 06:42 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

^ Sure, please post a pic!!!

Quick Reply: Partial tint or no tint?