GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 vs. Infiniti G35 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-07, 07:15 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by qmaster1
What do you guys think of the G35 Sedan and do you think the nearly $10K premium for the GS is worth it?

Thanks.

Jason
Have you taken a look at or heard of the new G37??
the new coupe has 330hp+ and was rated over the new bmw 335..just saw it in one of the car magazines this past week. i believe you are looking for a car with a backseat but just wanted to throw that out
Old 07-26-07, 08:40 PM
audimerc
Driver

Originally Posted by lexusgs408
Still, the GS is pure luxury and sports car that is made to last!
Sports car? kidding right?

The G35 is sportier but much less refined. For resale purposes the G35 and the lexus GS is fairly close after 4 years in Canada not sure about the States. Don't need the ML system in the GS because it has been debated long and hard that the ML in the Gs is not much better than the stock pioneer system unless you want DVD audio. You won't also get the money back when you trade in either because mostly based on mileage and year not so much on the options.
Really depends on what you are looking for if you want both luxury and refinement and a little zip than the GS is the way to go, but if you are happy with sporty handling and a little bit of luxury than go with the G35 since it is 10k cheaper and the GS also looks great. It really comes down to are you willing to spend 10k more for the refinement, prestige and exclusivity.

Last edited by audimerc; 07-26-07 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-26-07, 10:04 PM
StevenC56
Driver

Post G35 vs GS350

When we decided to sell our 2003 BMW 530i we thought we would replace it with the 2007 Infiniti G35. We drove a couple. It's a decent car but there was a few things we didn't care for. We liked to look of the Sport except the seats were a bit narrow and the stupid red "S" emblem drove my wife nuts. The sport spoiler was too much-we tried to like it but it's just too big. The Journey model was lacking a little something. The car is a bit noisy. Fuel mileage not very good at all. It felt a bit too small inside because we were used to the size of the BMW 530. So, we tried the 2007 Infiniti M35. Roomier than the G35-Almost too big in some respects-very tall design. Enough headroom for a 7 foot person! A little quieter than the G35. The dash was way too busy. We tried to like it but there is just too much going on. Even worse fuel mileage. Neither one had rain sensing wipers. No daytime running lights and the doors don't lock or unlock automatically. We couldn't believe that! My Chevy truck has DRL's and auto lock/unlock. After a couple months looking at only the Infiniti models we walked next door to the Lexus lot. Took a good look for the first time at the GS. Came back and drove one. Much more refined and quieter than the Infiniti models. It has the features we expect for 50K and decent fuel mileage as well. The rest is history.
Old 07-26-07, 10:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by StevenC56
When we decided to sell our 2003 BMW 530i we thought we would replace it with the 2007 Infiniti G35. We drove a couple. It's a decent car but there was a few things we didn't care for. We liked to look of the Sport except the seats were a bit narrow and the stupid red "S" emblem drove my wife nuts. The sport spoiler was too much-we tried to like it but it's just too big. The Journey model was lacking a little something. The car is a bit noisy. Fuel mileage not very good at all. It felt a bit too small inside because we were used to the size of the BMW 530. So, we tried the 2007 Infiniti M35. Roomier than the G35-Almost too big in some respects-very tall design. Enough headroom for a 7 foot person! A little quieter than the G35. The dash was way too busy. We tried to like it but there is just too much going on. Even worse fuel mileage. Neither one had rain sensing wipers. No daytime running lights and the doors don't lock or unlock automatically. We couldn't believe that! My Chevy truck has DRL's and auto lock/unlock. After a couple months looking at only the Infiniti models we walked next door to the Lexus lot. Took a good look for the first time at the GS. Came back and drove one. Much more refined and quieter than the Infiniti models. It has the features we expect for 50K and decent fuel mileage as well. The rest is history.
Beautiful story! Brings tears to my eyes!!!
Old 07-27-07, 05:23 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty similar to my experience as well. Except I started looking at the 06 3GS, didn't like the 06's so then I looked at E90, 07 G and M's, as well as Acura RL. Then finally took a look at the 07 3GS and ordered mine
Old 07-27-07, 12:39 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When we decided to sell our 2003 BMW 530i we thought we would replace it with the 2007 Infiniti G35. ..............Much more refined and quieter than the Infiniti models. It has the features we expect for 50K and decent fuel mileage as well. The rest is history.

i could relate to that story.

i'm a Scrooge, so i calculated the long term cost of owning the GS and the G35.
With 18000 miles per year, I figured the cost difference between the GS & G would be minimal after 10 years, just based on gas mileage alone.

The G35's I drove had horrible mileage. like 13 miles per gallon. That's expected of a Hummer. not a sedan.

The GS has about 26% better mileage than the G35, based on my driving style, assuming I'm able to get 19mpg with the infiniti.
Gas cost per year: $3307 infiniti vs $2625 lexus.
At the end of 10 years, the gas for the G35 will cost me $6800 more than the lexus.
So, that has reduced the $10000 premium to just ~$3000.

Last edited by dunnojack; 07-27-07 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-27-07, 01:34 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, forgot to mention that average gas mileage was less than 15 MPG while I was driving the loaner 2007 G35... 19/26 my butt!!!

At least with my GS350, average 23 MPG, which is within 21/29 range.
Old 07-27-07, 02:55 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by slk_dds
Oh, forgot to mention that average gas mileage was less than 15 MPG while I was driving the loaner 2007 G35... 19/26 my butt!!!

At least with my GS350, average 23 MPG, which is within 21/29 range.
side note about gas mileage.
Have you thought about dropping in a K &N Air filter??? could help either car
I installed mine 2 weeks ago and has improved my gas mileage by 10-15% on my V8.

On my current tank of gas which is on empty, I am at 24.2 mpg (primarily highway at 80mph)...I was at 20-22 before the filter...and it cost me $40 & 5 min to install. Never really thought it would work but it does...just bought one for my wifes IS250
Old 07-27-07, 04:09 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyt01nc
I installed mine 2 weeks ago and has improved my gas mileage by 10-15% on my V8.

On my current tank of gas which is on empty, I am at 24.2 mpg (primarily highway at 80mph)...I was at 20-22 before the filter...and it cost me $40 & 5 min to install. Never really thought it would work but it does...just bought one for my wifes IS250

the stock toyota air filter isn't washable?

have you been hitting 24mpg consistently?

Last edited by dunnojack; 07-27-07 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-27-07, 07:02 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dunnojack
the stock toyota air filter isn't washable?

have you been hitting 24mpg consistently?
No, not washable...it was like a paper filter.

So far pretty consistent..
The way my commute is working now I drive 135 miles every day so every 3 days I'm looking to fill up...so far I have gone 411 miles (23.7 aver, 390 (23.1 aver) and 408 (24.2) per tank on my last 3 (I haven't put in more than 17.2 gallons on any fill up either. Prior to filter, I was happy getting 360 miles on a tank. I always keep my gs430 in power mode and tend to keep the sport mode on 50% of the time too...

I gotta believe it will help out the gs350 too...for $41 its worth it.
extremely easy to install
www.autoanything.com is where I got it
Old 07-27-07, 07:25 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by qmaster1
What do you guys think of the G35 Sedan and do you think the nearly $10K premium for the GS is worth it?

Thanks.

Jason

Forget about what others think. It's your money and you will live with the car. Buy what you like the best.
Old 07-27-07, 08:28 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

The g35 is a steal especially if you get one of the cheaper base models, like a base journey w/o sunroof....you can get one of those for about $30-31K before ttl. It is a rocket and is a blast to drive, exhaust has a sporty tune, braking and handling is more responsive than gs. The gs is more refined but more dull to drive. But... a base GS w/o nav / ml will cost a full 10-12 grand more. The main differences are memory settings for seats, bluetooth, cooled seats, moonroof, inferior interior (but not too bad) I was ready to buy one until i found a used GS300 for the same price...
Old 07-28-07, 06:20 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the Infiniti G35, actually I seriously considered buying the G35. An excellent car for the price.

$10K plus difference is where it separates these two vehicles in two different leagues.

M35/45 vs. GS350/430 or G35 vs. IS350 is more apple to apple than apple to orange comparison, IMO.
Old 08-04-07, 04:09 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

90% of time I drive in "city" condition, meaning stop and go. So with 23 MPG, is not so bad... IMO...
Old 08-04-07, 05:01 PM
audimerc
Driver

No, not washable...it was like a paper filter.

So far pretty consistent..
The way my commute is working now I drive 135 miles every day so every 3 days I'm looking to fill up...so far I have gone 411 miles (23.7 aver, 390 (23.1 aver) and 408 (24.2) per tank on my last 3 (I haven't put in more than 17.2 gallons on any fill up either. Prior to filter, I was happy getting 360 miles on a tank. I always keep my gs430 in power mode and tend to keep the sport mode on 50% of the time too...

I gotta believe it will help out the gs350 too...for $41 its worth it.
extremely easy to install
www.autoanything.com is where I got it
The K&N air filter will not improve your mileage over stock unless your stock air filter is clogged. If you go to K&N's site they do not say that they save you gas mileage over a clean oem stock filter but only a clogged one. Another thing is that if K&N filters allow more air in then they also allow more particulates in also. IMO you are better off with the stock filter unless you are trying to squeeze the last ounce of power from the engine which actually lower fuel economy.

Quick Reply: GS350 vs. Infiniti G35 Sedan