GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Windshield Repair Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 07:47 AM
StevenC56
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Windshield Repair Kit

Has anybody tried one of the "do it yourself" repair kits? My wife got hit with a rock about an hour after we took delivery of our new car on Saturday. It didn't actually break the glass -Just 3 tiny nicks right together in a 1/8" area about 3" down from the top of the windshield on the driver's side. Looks like it just needs to be filled with resin and polished. Or should I just have a glass repair place fix it? Anybody have this type of damage repaired?
Old 07-17-07, 08:43 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Have a glass professional do the work. It's too easy to make a small annoyance a big problem.
Old 07-29-07, 05:57 PM
StevenC56
Driver

Question Windshield Chip Repair

Originally Posted by flipside909
Have a glass professional do the work. It's too easy to make a small annoyance a big problem.
Does anybody know if a surface chip/nick can even be repaired? I was reading on one website that stated you would just have to live with the chip if it didn't actually break thru the outer layer into the membrane. I hope that's not the case. I don't want to have the windshield replaced, however the chip is visible and bothers me.
Old 07-29-07, 06:14 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

I had a rock chip with 3 small lines in the middle of my windshield. The chip didn't go through, but it was pretty big. I was willing to try anything to avoid having to remove the factory-installed glass so when a friend recommended a particular repair shop, I was there. Took this guy 30 minutes. The only thing I can see on the windshield is a tiny (head of a pin) mark. Of course I mentioned my concern about the upcoming winter weather, and I was told that the work is guaranteed for the life of the car. *fingers crossed* So far, so good. I would highly recommend this guy to anyone (on the East coast).
Old 07-29-07, 09:32 PM
StevenC56
Driver

Originally Posted by mel's-gs
I had a rock chip with 3 small lines in the middle of my windshield. The chip didn't go through, but it was pretty big. I was willing to try anything to avoid having to remove the factory-installed glass so when a friend recommended a particular repair shop, I was there. Took this guy 30 minutes. The only thing I can see on the windshield is a tiny (head of a pin) mark. Of course I mentioned my concern about the upcoming winter weather, and I was told that the work is guaranteed for the life of the car. *fingers crossed* So far, so good. I would highly recommend this guy to anyone (on the East coast).
Sounds just like the chip in our windshield. 3 little lines on the drivers side about 4" from the top of the window in less than 1/4" area and 1 really small pit about 2" above that. Sound like I better take it to a couple auto glass repair places here in Fresno tomorrow and have them look at it.
Old 03-17-24, 07:21 AM
andyluxesome26

I've been in a similar situation before, and I've found that using a high-quality windshield repair resin can work wonders for those pesky nicks and cracks. While professional repair services are an option, I've had great success with DIY kits, especially when it comes to minor damage like yours. I highly recommend checking out Crack Eraser's selection of windshield repair resin; their products are reliable and easy to use, providing a seamless fix that saves both time and money. You can explore their range of effective solutions here. Trust me, it's worth considering for a hassle-free repair that keeps your new car looking pristine.
Old 03-18-24, 10:19 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by andyluxesome26
I've been in a similar situation before, and I've found that using a high-quality windshield repair resin can work wonders for those pesky nicks and cracks. While professional repair services are an option, I've had great success with DIY kits, especially when it comes to minor damage like yours. I highly recommend checking out Crack Eraser's selection of windshield repair resin; their products are reliable and easy to use, providing a seamless fix that saves both time and money. You can explore their range of effective solutions here. Trust me, it's worth considering for a hassle-free repair that keeps your new car looking pristine.
I once had a vehicle I was trying to sell, and the morning before the guy came to see the vehicle. I noticed a tiny little stone chip in the glass. Me thinking ohhhhhh... Ill just buy one of those stone chip repair kits. As soon as I placed the kits suction over the chip, and pulled suction as per the instruction. That tiny chip instanty turned into a massive huge crack across the whole windshield. Thankfully, I managed to find a windshield guy, and they had the glass in stock. I had to tell the person the situation