GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Should I ClearBra?

Old 06-03-07, 09:39 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Yes, do the clear bra!
Old 06-03-07, 10:43 AM
dentpusher
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best thing to do if you want to keep the car looking nice. I am getting ready to spend $1200.00 to repaint the front of mine due to rock chips.

A couple of things on the film.
They will all turn yellow and they all have UV protection. White and silver cars are really the only ones that will show it. Venture Shield will turn yellow the fastest and you would be one lucky person if you could get the warranty to cover it. I know this because I have been a venture dealer for over 6 years and have tried several times. You will also have problems with the film getting dirt and dust impacted into the film since it does not have a hard coat. To help keep this to a minimum you need to wash and wax the film once a week. A lot of work for a clear bra. They do have a new film with a clear coat called the ultra but the coating has shown to stain real easy and scratch even easier. A good film but no match for the 3M or Llumar.

3M has what is called a hard coat. I think this is what some of you are calling a UV coating. Its really just a protective coating on the top side of the film to keep the urethane from getting stained and worn. It also keeps the film from needing a lot of upkeep and has a nice shine to it as well. Though the 3M film has more orange peel to it your not going to have the durability issues that you will with the venture film.

Llumar is the cleanest and one of the strongest films there is. Not a bit of orange peel and very strong. It has no hard coat so you do need to work a bit more to keep it clean like the venture but has a clean consistent look. What I mean by that is the film is not full of roller marks and dimples like you find in the Venture film.
I use 4 different types of films and have tested them all on shop cars as well as my own.

From what I have found 3M is going to give you the best all around protection and low upkeep. Llumar is going to look the best on dark colored cars but will require you to do a little more upkeep to keep the film looking nice. I wish I could say the venture is the best all the way around but I have peeled off more in the last year than I have put on and we do it all out of pocket since the company will not warranty anything. The warranty is only as good as the company behind it. I would suggest Avery film as well since its a great product but has more orange peel than most like. If you can stand the texture than its a awsome film as well.

White and silver cars will always have the yellowing problem with any film. This is not covered under the Venture warranty on these colors but is on 3M. All the films will do a good job protecting the car. You just have to find the one that best suits you. Thats why its hard to shop this product. Most dealers just carry one type of film. The film they carry is the best because its what they are selling. Your not going to hear about the problems or downfalls. I have been installing venture for over 6 years now and had great luck with it but after the warranty problems and film failures we had to bring in other products. The last thing is are with the kits. Your best to find someone that uses precision cut or expel. The invisible patterns dont fit that great and leave a lot of areas exposed that should be covered. Use the info for what its worth. Good luck on your choice.
Old 06-03-07, 12:01 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, this is a very confusing info... I hear what you are saying, but I also talked to the top installer in my area who has been doing this for many years and works with top level luxury cars (dealerships) only. He switched from 3M, and went to VentureShield. There is a new VS type of film that just came out, no UV protection!!! It also more durable than 3M and Llumar.

Last edited by twister; 06-03-07 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-03-07, 02:14 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow very informative, thank you.

Well, whatever the installer chooses, as long as it's warranted and protects the car, any of them sounds good to me!
Old 06-03-07, 02:36 PM
dentpusher
Pole Position

Originally Posted by twister
Hmm, this is a very confusing info... I hear what you are saying, but I also talked to the top installer in my area who has been doing this for many years and works with top level luxury cars (dealerships) only. He switched from 3M, and went to VentureShield. There is a new VS type of film that just came out, no UV protection!!! It also more durable than 3M and Llumar.
The new film is called ultra and has uv protection in it. The difference between the ultra and the regular film is the clear coat they put on top. They were trying to make a film to hold up like the 3M in harsh climates since the regular film isnt doing so well. They did a pretty good job but the quality isnt quite there yet. The Venture is a breeze to install and cheap witch is why you will find a lot of installers pushing it. Anything is better than nothing.
Old 06-03-07, 09:07 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I've got about 6 months on my Ventureshield on a white car and have not noticed any noticeable yellowing. I thought it was warrantied against it, as long as I washed weekly and waxed monthly (or something to that effect).
Old 06-03-07, 09:46 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

It'd be hard to prove/disprove if you wash weekly and wax monthly though.
Old 06-04-07, 07:50 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yang1815
It'd be hard to prove/disprove if you wash weekly and wax monthly though.
You mean wash daily and wax weekly....
Old 06-04-07, 07:56 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS4fun
You mean wash daily and wax weekly....
too much work >_<

I just go through *cough* touchless *cough*

*ducks*
Old 06-04-07, 11:55 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

What about this independed 3M vs VS report? http://www.ventureshield.com/newpdf/...03M%201204.pdf I know you gonna say "VS propaganda", but so far I was not able to find any bad comments about VS on the net versus 3M. I am just about ready to pull a trigger on VS install, and now you planted a seed of doubt in my mind

BTW, $1200 to repaint the front? I just had hit'n'run and replaced the whole front bumper, painted it, and got the paint blend-in: all that together was no more than $700-$800 (without additional stuff I had to pay for, like a busted foglight, etc.). If you are not changing your bumper, but rather repainting it, that $1,200 is waaaay too much.
Old 06-04-07, 12:03 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Probably include hood too though, and maybe side mirrors?
Old 06-04-07, 08:11 PM
feysulex
Rookie

Default Benz Forums discussion

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r171...-clearbra.html
Old 06-06-07, 11:07 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

OK, I think at this point I have done enough search and reading to determine that Venture Shield is a superior product (in my opinion). As a reply, I want to quote some info I found while analyzing the post made by "dentpusher".

1. Venture Shield as a product has been in a market for only 4 years. Therefore its impossible to be VS dealer/installer for 6 years

2. The new Venture Shield Ultra film with the clear coat is the tickest (for a fact its 10% thicker than competiton), glossiest, and flattest film. 3M or Avery film make hood look like the skin of an orange (including stretch marks due to heating during the installation), while VS just as flat as the Llumar (which is made by Avery) which also has the advantage of the clear coat.

3. With a stiffer surface (3M or VS) you have more chances of scratching the film during the install, and it is strictly an installer issue. An experienced, certified installer should not have this problem, and I actually found on VS website where they list dealers and installers they have a specific mark to distinguish the one who are fully licensed and certified directly by VS. Basically, as a consumer, we do not have to worry about scratches from the install. Once the film is on, it is as durable as any other film. Plus, VS gives you 100% lifetime warranty which they stand behind. I verified that with a number of installers.

4. Regarding yellowing, it is correct to a certain extent. Some manufacturers use an additive in white paint called isocyanate; this is used to increase the surface energy of the paint. It reacts with acrylic adhesive to turn it a yellow/brown color. It will react with every product on the market because they all use acrylic adhesive systems. So, there is no way to avoid this, and the color will be more visible on a white car with every product.

Again, this is the info I found because of my own concerns due to getting ready to clearbra my car and trying to make a decision which product to use.
Old 06-30-07, 01:42 AM
jyeh74
Driver School Candidate

does aerotech offer the GS clearbra custom or premade?
Old 06-30-07, 08:03 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

They are all pre-cut from a pattern (computerized plotter that cuts it to a spec). For example, you can take a look at my thread (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=289973) where I posted pattern pics. But some installers can do a custom cuts for a-pillar or inside of door handles or door edges.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I ClearBra?