GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS Resale Value is Disappointing

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-06, 06:51 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok, first of all, please calm down. Now, let me ask you, what are you referring to as the "sale"? Some sort of auction? What are they going for there? Can you give us an example of a unit you saw that got "crushed"? You'll get much more than 1 grand off on a 06 GS. You'll get 1 grand BELOW invoice if you work it right. Some people do like the car alot but luxury cars always get hit by a sledge hammer as soon as you drive them off the lot. Try driving a new towncar off the lot. Thats the worst ever.
Old 08-20-06, 06:59 PM
worldcat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NO sale the Auction. Any where from 34k to 37k for awd and well equiped. Now you can get a deal but the car is going to be a year old in like a few weeks. CAn you go and get a 350GS for 1K under invoice? Thats my point a year from now when the car is a year old they will discount them but not now. What i am getting at is the GS has taken a big hit. Lexus should hold there value better.
Old 08-20-06, 07:06 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Yes, you are right about the 300 and 430s especially. No you cannot get the 350 at 1 k below invoice unless you a blood relations with the dealership owner. I knew (and anyone who really knows a good bit about the used car market knows) that the 300 and 430 will get screwed on value due to the immediate revamp to the 350 and 460. THose who bought early 300 and 430s as soon as the 06s dropped and paid darn near MSRP got hit worst but they also had the novel effect blessed with driving the newest lexus out. ALl this comes at a price. For me, I love the car but am willing to wait both for price and for rattles and loose ends to be fixed. In my case, the purchase is in the hands of the Lexus engineers.
Old 08-20-06, 07:58 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by worldcat
Nobody likes this car that much.
I do. It's a very safe car (AWD especially) that just grows on
you. I didn't like it much at first, but have come to appreciate
its finer points. I will grant that it's probably not worth 50K,
but the GS350 is IMHO worth that price.

As for depreciation, private party sale is the best way to go.
Unless you're made of cash and don't care
Old 08-20-06, 08:40 PM
carminesc
Rookie

wow is he fired up or what. i actually love this car but need to purchase a truck and as stated earlier was caught a little off guard as to the drop in resale value. with that said i think this car is great and wish i could keep it. just wish i was getting a little more for it on the market.
Old 08-22-06, 01:09 PM
james1017
Rookie

Hey guys don't worry so much and just enjoy the ride!!!!
If you worry about so much about depreciation, you know what!! don't drive the LEXUS. Every car will depreciate, but who cares, just enjoy your life man!!!!
Old 08-22-06, 01:44 PM
gvc
Driver School Candidate

I dont think that the resale value is disappointing, see when it was first launched the GS 300 price fully loaded (ML And Navi) can be had for around 48-46 thou (got mine at 45 thou. fully loaded), and if you compare that with a fully loaded E class and a fully loaded 5 series, the GS is way way lower in price, therefore comparing the GS with its competitor (E & 5) in terms of resale value, I believe that the GS is holding up its value well.
Old 08-22-06, 04:59 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Doesnt consumer reports or edmunds or someone calculate a "cost to own" value for vehicles? THey compute expected depreciation for that model + gas + expected maintenance and repair costs? If anyone has these figures for the E and GS and 5 series. Lets compare them.

My guess: 5 may be lower due to no maintenance costs. so dont be alarmed.
Old 08-22-06, 05:44 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by carminesc
wow is he fired up or what. i actually love this car but need to purchase a truck and as stated earlier was caught a little off guard as to the drop in resale value. with that said i think this car is great and wish i could keep it. just wish i was getting a little more for it on the market.
Keep the car and buy a used truck. Trucks are going down in price faster then any other vehicle. You will get a 2 car discount on your insurance. You could buy a used truck for what you would lose in deprication on the GS.
Old 08-25-06, 02:43 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingKing
Well I purchased my GS300 with a sticker of $52,444 for $47,322 back in Feb and I am going to trade it in for an 07 GS350 and they are only giving me $32k for the car. That is horriable for a Lexus I even tryed to call other dealers and some told me $30. Now the car is in perfect shape no accidents do dings no notting and it only has 12k miles on it. Whatever I am over it but it is still upsetting. Plus on top of it the GS350 I am getting for only 2,500 less sticker. But I can't wait I should have it the first week of Sept!!!!! It's in Newark NJ now!!!!
Your not married are you
Old 08-25-06, 09:36 PM
Firstlps
Driver

Well I purchased my GS300 with a sticker of $52,444 for $47,322 back in Feb and I am going to trade it in for an 07 GS350 and they are only giving me $32k for the car. That is horriable for a Lexus I even tryed to call other dealers and some told me $30. Now the car is in perfect shape no accidents do dings no notting and it only has 12k miles on it. Whatever I am over it but it is still upsetting. Plus on top of it the GS350 I am getting for only 2,500 less sticker. But I can't wait I should have it the first week of Sept!!!!! It's in Newark NJ now!!!!
I thought I was the only one to trade my 06 GS in for a 07 GS350, but I have
only 5,000 mi on it. They quoted me $39k in trade. Price paid was $48,500
Old 08-26-06, 08:32 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

to be expected, everyone knew a GS350 was going to come out when the IS first appeared, some people perhaps couldnt wait that long and got an 06, thats how things go. Wait till you see how 06 LS430s, 06 GS430s go. You can easily buy a loade GS300 for about 44-45 BRAND NEW so one can expect to see the trade in value drop. Thats whats happening to american trucks, when you keep spamming 12k off MSRP and peopel still dont buy it the trade in value is going to be terrible
Old 08-29-06, 12:42 PM
06GS300
Driver School Candidate

Do it def worth it you will be happier with the 350 the GS300 is complety underpowerd and that engine is a complete mess. It runs rich and burns oil and Lexus just keeps it quiet thats why so many of you have the check engine lights come on.

I have 33k miles on my 06 and I have never had the Check engine light come on once. I agree it is not as fast as I'd like it to be, but I get great gas mileage.

I do hate the fact that Lexus put this engine in this car for just one model year. If I had known that, I would have waited. But I am not willing to lose all of that money. Who knows what they will change in mid-stream that I could take advantage of later?

I think that Lexus knows that people who have money to throw away on cars will do so when they change something in the middle of a new body design just to have the latest and greatest...for me, I will wait. I do love my GS anyway.
Old 08-29-06, 07:57 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CsKWarEd
I've never leased anything so I'm not quite sure, but why spend all of the time and money in to a car just to give it back?

Because you are removing the risk of depreciation. Leasing is not the best way to buy a vehicle. If you want to do that then buy it right away. Sometimes leasing is less expensive per month, great if you want the more expensive vehicle but want to keep your payments down. At the end you can turn it in and walk away. The average person changes vehicles every 42 months. If you're leasing you get to do that without worrying if you are going to be upside down and have to finance the difference.

Also you always have the option to negotiate the trade in of your lease vehicle, so if the numbers were good on the contract and the market holds up well you can redeem any equity you have built up by trading it in, the leasing company gets their required payoff amount and anything above that goes to you. Can you get into a bad lease that doesn't allow you to do these things, sure, but you can just as easily get into a bad finance contract.

In the end it comes down to preference, each one has it's advantages....
Old 11-11-06, 12:02 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2006 GS300's have not dropped all that much.......for a trade in,yes,but,not if you are looking to buy one.A fully loaded one with navi,ml,and park assist, is sselling for the mid to upper 40's. Sticker on my just bought 2006 Gs300 was 52k.Dealer agreed to 41 k which I think was a good deal.

Quick Reply: GS Resale Value is Disappointing