GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Satelite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-06, 09:41 PM
greg h
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by looknow12
Update: 4th Quarter 06 and 1st quarter 07. Sirius added more subscribers.
Thanks in large part to Howard Stern. I can't stress enough how great Sirius is and for only 13.00 a month it is a fantastic deal.
Old 07-01-06, 06:16 AM
jwa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by greg h
Thanks in large part to Howard Stern. I can't stress enough how great Sirius is and for only 13.00 a month it is a fantastic deal.
Sirius added me in the 4th quarter of last year, but it had nothing to do with Howard Stern. The RRS came with Sirius installed and didn't have an XM option - which I would have prefered.

IMO, both XM and Sirius subscriptions will continue to increase as the auto makers choose one or the other as a factory option. The downside to that is the consumer looses a choice.
Old 07-01-06, 06:55 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jwa
Sirius added me in the 4th quarter of last year, but it had nothing to do with Howard Stern. The RRS came with Sirius installed and didn't have an XM option - which I would have prefered.

IMO, both XM and Sirius subscriptions will continue to increase as the auto makers choose one or the other as a factory option. The downside to that is the consumer looses a choice.
That's simply not true. It is a known fact that subscribers answering most have said Howard Stern has made the difference. He's responsible for over 3.5 million subscriptions according to many analysts.

Many automakers have an exclusivity with Sirius. If it weren't for GM and Honda, XM would be in a world of trouble. Sirius has more different automakers onboard.
Old 07-01-06, 07:13 AM
greg h
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jwa

Sure there are a few exceptions. My main point is that satalite radio is a fantastic deal(whoever you choose) and people really should give it a chance.
Old 07-01-06, 09:27 AM
jwa
Pole Position

That's simply not true. It is a known fact that subscribers answering most have said Howard Stern has made the difference. He's responsible for over 3.5 million subscriptions according to many analysts.

Many automakers have an exclusivity with Sirius. If it weren't for GM and Honda, XM would be in a world of trouble. Sirius has more different automakers onboard.
I said "for me" it had nothing to do with Howard Stern. I got stuck with Sirius in the RRS because I didn't have a choice. I'm not questioning your 3.5M figure and it's not personal; I'm just highlighting the fact that some Sirius subscribers could care less about Howard Stern. In the 9 months I've had Sirius, I may have spent 2 hours listening to Howard Stern, and it's 2 hours I wish I could have back.

My GS has XM because I was given a choice.There is programming on Sirius I like, but on the whole I prefer XM. Having subscriptions to both, I'm in a pretty good position to say which I like better.

As I said - and you concurred, some automakers are setting up exclusive deals with Sirius or XM which is eliminating the choice. I assume I'm not the only one who got stuck with one while prefering the other. If Sirius or XM really believes they're the better choice, then they shouldn't need to sign automakers to exclusive deals.
Old 07-01-06, 09:40 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an after market Sirius setup in my old Acura TL, and now I have XM with my new Acura RL. From a programming perspective Sirius had much more variety of music channels, ALL the music Channels are comercial free and I got great reception.

The only advantage I see with XM is the NAV TRAFFIC which integrates with the navigation system in my RL. Reception leaves much to be desired, especially when you consider that I had the antenna on my TL mounted on the rear package shelf next to the speakers, and the RL has the roof mounted antenna. THe reception on the RL is worse.

I'll probably still keep the subscription once the free first year expires. I really like the fact that I can monitor traffic flow and incidents through the navigation system, and while I'm underwhelmed with XM, it's still better than regular radio.

Just my $0.02
Old 07-01-06, 02:24 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Also for 2007, Toyota/Lexus has signed on with XM, so Sirius will probably not be offered. Boy, I'm glad I got the Sirius kit installed on my 06 GX because it doesn't sound like Toyota/Lexus will offer Sirius as an option. Maybe it will still be available from the parts department, just not built in like the XM will be.
Old 07-02-06, 07:28 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Also for 2007, Toyota/Lexus has signed on with XM, so Sirius will probably not be offered. Boy, I'm glad I got the Sirius kit installed on my 06 GX because it doesn't sound like Toyota/Lexus will offer Sirius as an option. Maybe it will still be available from the parts department, just not built in like the XM will be.
Does anyone have any news articles regarding Toyota and XM signing an exclusive agreement?
Old 07-02-06, 07:30 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Does anyone have any news articles regarding Toyota and XM signing an exclusive agreement?
I just did a Google News search and it says nothing about an exclusive agreement with XM.

I have heard Lexus mention vehicles with XM Nav Traffic integrated. Sirius offers these features too, so hopefully it will be possible for a factory integration box to tie in the Sirius receiver.
Old 07-02-06, 07:31 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jwa
I said "for me" it had nothing to do with Howard Stern.
My apologies, I misread your post.
Old 07-02-06, 01:43 PM
BobsGX
Racer

http://www.xmradio.com/newsroom/scre...004_12_07.html

As I said above, hopefully Sirius will still be available from the parts department.
Old 07-03-06, 03:06 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BobsGX
http://www.xmradio.com/newsroom/scre...004_12_07.html

As I said above, hopefully Sirius will still be available from the parts department.
All it says is Toyota has selected XM for its data delivery services, and will continue to offer XM as a factory installed option.

It says nothing of an exclusive agreement where Toyota must use XM as the only satellite radio option. In fact it doesn't even say the data delivery services are exclusive.

Actually look at the date, this news article is old 12/07/04
Old 07-03-06, 09:45 AM
Lenscap
Driver

All it says is Toyota has selected XM for its data delivery services, and will continue to offer XM as a factory installed option.

It says nothing of an exclusive agreement where Toyota must use XM as the only satellite radio option. In fact it doesn't even say the data delivery services are exclusive.

Actually look at the date, this news article is old 12/07/04
That news release from 12/04 was the first official indication that Toyota had an exclusive deal with XM since there was no deal to provide Sirius as factory installs. Also, even though the release is from 12/04 it clearly states XM factory-installs would start in 2006, which is correct since the new LS will have it later this year (in 2006).

Here is a newer release. Note the last paragraph begins by stating the XM/Toyota agreeement is exclusive.

http://www.xmradio.com/newsroom/scre...006_04_12.html

XM ANNOUNCES FIRST LEXUS MODELS TO OFFER FACTORY-INSTALLED XM SATELLITE RADIO

Washington D.C., April 12, 2006 -- XM Satellite Radio today announced that Lexus, the luxury division of Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., will offer XM as standard, factory-installed equipment on the 2007 LS 460 L and its new luxury hybrid sedan, the 2008 LS 600h L. XM will also be available as a factory-installed feature on the 2007 LS 460 model as part of the navigation option. The all-new fourth generation LS series will be the first Lexus models to offer factory-installed XM Satellite Radio. Lexus unveiled the LS 600h L hybrid today at a press conference at the New York International Auto Show.
In addition to offering XM Satellite Radio, both the LS 460 L and the LS 600h L hybrid will be the only vehicles in the prestige luxury segment to offer XM's real-time traffic service, XM NAvTraffic. XM NavTraffic is the nation's first satellite traffic information service that enables a driver to display real-time traffic conditions on the vehicle's navigation system. XM NavTraffic, powered by NAVTEQ Traffic, offers the best coverage, fastest data delivery and most accurate real-time information of any in-vehicle traffic service. XM NavTraffic currently provides traffic data for 31 major metropolitan areas across the nation and is continuously expanding.

"The NavTraffic feature on the LS 460 is an excellent example of Toyota and XM collaborating to bring new technologies to the Lexus line of vehicles," said David Danzer, Group Vice President, Corporate Planning, Toyota Motor Sales, USA.

"The introduction of XM Satellite Radio and XM NavTraffic as a factory-installed feature on the new generation of Lexus LS sedans represents an important milestone for our company," said Hugh Panero, President and CEO of XM Satellite Radio. "This launch is just the beginning for XM and Toyota as XM will be further integrated into Toyota Motor Sales vehicles."

In 2004, XM Satellite Radio became TMS' exclusive partner for factory-installed satellite radio entertainment and information services. Today, XM Satellite Radio is available in 19 Toyota, Lexus and Scion models as an option through port or dealer accessory programs. XM's satellite radio receivers are the sole Genuine Toyota Satellite Radio Tuner Accessory authorized by TMS to bring satellite radio entertainment to these models.
Old 07-03-06, 03:58 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lenscap
That news release from 12/04 was the first official indication that Toyota had an exclusive deal with XM since there was no deal to provide Sirius as factory installs. Also, even though the release is from 12/04 it clearly states XM factory-installs would start in 2006, which is correct since the new LS will have it later this year (in 2006).

Here is a newer release. Note the last paragraph begins by stating the XM/Toyota agreeement is exclusive.

http://www.xmradio.com/newsroom/scre...006_04_12.html

XM ANNOUNCES FIRST LEXUS MODELS TO OFFER FACTORY-INSTALLED XM SATELLITE RADIO

Washington D.C., April 12, 2006 -- XM Satellite Radio today announced that Lexus, the luxury division of Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., will offer XM as standard, factory-installed equipment on the 2007 LS 460 L and its new luxury hybrid sedan, the 2008 LS 600h L. XM will also be available as a factory-installed feature on the 2007 LS 460 model as part of the navigation option. The all-new fourth generation LS series will be the first Lexus models to offer factory-installed XM Satellite Radio. Lexus unveiled the LS 600h L hybrid today at a press conference at the New York International Auto Show.
In addition to offering XM Satellite Radio, both the LS 460 L and the LS 600h L hybrid will be the only vehicles in the prestige luxury segment to offer XM's real-time traffic service, XM NAvTraffic. XM NavTraffic is the nation's first satellite traffic information service that enables a driver to display real-time traffic conditions on the vehicle's navigation system. XM NavTraffic, powered by NAVTEQ Traffic, offers the best coverage, fastest data delivery and most accurate real-time information of any in-vehicle traffic service. XM NavTraffic currently provides traffic data for 31 major metropolitan areas across the nation and is continuously expanding. Mostly the press I have read has to do with data.

"The NavTraffic feature on the LS 460 is an excellent example of Toyota and XM collaborating to bring new technologies to the Lexus line of vehicles," said David Danzer, Group Vice President, Corporate Planning, Toyota Motor Sales, USA.

"The introduction of XM Satellite Radio and XM NavTraffic as a factory-installed feature on the new generation of Lexus LS sedans represents an important milestone for our company," said Hugh Panero, President and CEO of XM Satellite Radio. "This launch is just the beginning for XM and Toyota as XM will be further integrated into Toyota Motor Sales vehicles."

In 2004, XM Satellite Radio became TMS' exclusive partner for factory-installed satellite radio entertainment and information services. Today, XM Satellite Radio is available in 19 Toyota, Lexus and Scion models as an option through port or dealer accessory programs. XM's satellite radio receivers are the sole Genuine Toyota Satellite Radio Tuner Accessory authorized by TMS to bring satellite radio entertainment to these models.
I think you are reading too much out of it. It specifically says there is an agreement in place for the LS to make XM a standard or factory installed option. How does this solidfy an exclusive agreement between Toyota/Lexus and XM? Hugh Panero from XM can talk about the future all he wants, but until a deal is done it means nothing.

This press release is a non article. When you're a publicly listed company and not a lot of good things are going on, as a public relations person, you do what you can to distribute and turn nothing into stories. In April XM has a lot of negative news going on. If you'll notice Toyota didn't even release a press statement about this. Except that it was hidden in the release of the new 2007 LS line of vehicles.

I'm am not in anyway saying it won't happen or that it will happen. All I'm saying is it hasn't happened. Let's stop spinning square wheels.

When or if it happens with XM and Sirius, you can be sure both Toyota and the selected satellite company will both release press statements. I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota steered clear of signing an exclusive agreement. They don't need satellite radio to sell cars. Mostly these excusive agreements are designed to be a win win for both sides. Satellite Radio company get's the in on the subscriptions under the long term and the automaker get's the ability to get the receiver at next to no price. It helps automakers who aren't selling vehicles as an in. Satellite radio preinstalled. It's the hottest thing right now for new car buyers.

You expect this kind agreement with automakers like Ford, GM and maybe Chrysler where sales have been tough for them and when they do make sales, their profit margins are extremely tight. But with Toyota, people buy there cars and Toyota still maintains a high profit margin. I believe they are on track to make 15 billion or so in profits this year while GM will lose upwards of 10. Ouch. Any gimmick required there, but not necessary with Toyota.

Last edited by looknow12; 07-03-06 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-03-06, 09:41 PM
Lenscap
Driver

I think you are reading too much out of it. It specifically says there is an agreement in place for the LS to make XM a standard or factory installed option. How does this solidfy an exclusive agreement between Toyota/Lexus and XM?
The agreement between Toyota and XM for factory installations is exclusive. Read this line from the release:

"In 2004, XM Satellite Radio became TMS' exclusive partner for factory-installed satellite radio entertainment and information services."

I get several auto industry publications and it is fact XM has an exclusive deal with Toyota/Lexus for not only sat radio but also other services. The agreement was signed in December 2004 to begin in calendar year 2006. If you note the LS will offer XM from the factory, but Sirius will not be offered from the factory.

Lexus sent an email about one month ago talking all about XM and the exclusive arrangement that will see XM offered in all Lexus cars, from the factory, within the next 1-2 years.

Quick Reply: Satelite Radio