GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

changes on '04 GS

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-03, 09:50 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changes on '04 GS

Just got the new Auto Spies posting and it goes into detail about all the changes for the model line, some of which have close to 20 changes, and sure enough our beloved GS has ZERO changes coming ! Granted they are releasing a brand new model, but that's not until the following Sept. Heck, even the long in the tooth LX470 had 4 or 5 changes, what gives ? They couldn't find anything to make minor changes about ?? Where's the incentive other than being a new model, to buy one now ? The only real way someone could tell by looking quickly, the difference between a 98 and 04 will be the taillights, sometimes it's hard to notice if the headlights are greener (like the 01s and up), or maybe the rims, but otherwise it's the same EXACT car for seven years !!!
Old 08-15-03, 10:26 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

very true, but even the tails and and headlights fit perectly on the old 98 gs so u probably will never know what yr it really is..untill the new body comes whenever that will b.
Old 08-15-03, 10:27 AM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Unfortunately, the GS seems to be the bastard (can I say that here?) step-child of the Lexus line right now. Wait until the new generation comes out though. It'll be back in the spotlight...

Last edited by BuyERTS; 08-15-03 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-15-03, 12:38 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned my GS for 9 months and it feels so new for me. This may be my last GS since my next car may be a 2007 ZO6 Corvette (C6)
Old 08-15-03, 12:58 PM
wilassasin
Driver

Why would u want a car that changes the entire facelift every DARN year! this is a luxury vehicle, check the mercedes line they have a model out for several years b4 they make drastic changes, check corvettes, porches so on and so forth...U should realize that if they change the vehicles whole facelift every year or two who would want the car, furthermore it would be a hooptie by now...U should be happy its not coming out til next year.....If u want a car that changes its face every year or two get a honda accord......
Old 08-15-03, 01:08 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

The incentive to get a vehicle that is within nine or ten months of replacement has historically been 1) anything needing to be fixed has been and 2) you are going to get a heck of a lot better deal on it than on the next gen when it appears. Were there a lot changes this year for the 5? If that isn't good enough, then wait for the new one. Unless we want to flatter ourselves that Lexus is a lot dimmer than us, the production of the GS is going to be throttled back anticipating lower sales anyway.
Old 08-15-03, 03:36 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You lose either way....Buy the new, fresh model and pay the non-negotiable sticker price, not to mention the wait list you'll probably need to hop on, and eat first 3 years of heavy depreciation. All the while when you go to resell it you eat it big time......OR buy the older model at a heavy discount, get no admiring looks because the model year has already had its moment in the sun, and have fun trying to sell it in the future when the vehicle looks ancient and nobody wants to fork out $10k for a vehicle that has 250k miles on it.

Moral of the story....get what you want, ignore what we say because it's not our check book, and take care of your purchase!!!
Old 08-15-03, 04:27 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Good points. To tell you the truth, I would feel beter getting the last of the old gen at a good price than the new one at sticker (or above). If you get a sharp deal on the outgoing model, you should have a well sorted out car and when the new gen has all its inevitable teething out of the way, you might not be hit too bad trading up. Admiring glances mean less and less as you age and get fewer and fewer no matter what you drive.

Last edited by RON430; 08-15-03 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-15-03, 05:47 PM
dbox
Driver

the lexus GS is PERFECTION.

no need for change. these cars are classics already
Old 08-15-03, 06:10 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Moral of the story....get what you want, ignore what we say because it's not our check book, and take care of your purchase!!!
Jayson, well said!!

RON, I'm beginning to thing that not only do our wives think in very similar fashion, but so do we.

dbox, that's what I thought about my much beloved and much missed 1st gen SC (s).........and look what we got for a replacement: something with all the style of a tuber and the functionality of a Tonka toy (yes, I know it's supposed to be inspired by those motor yachts on the Riviera.......they look bulbous, too.............as far as function: my golf clubs will go..........where?).

Eh............maybe I should stop drinking before I start reading and posting............
Old 08-15-03, 07:16 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by wilassasin
If u want a car that changes its face every year or two get a honda accord......
?

The Accord basically does not change during its four year life cycle - they come out with a special edition version in the last year that basically has a lot of the EX options for something closer to the LX price -otherwise the car stays the same.

I think it would have been cool for Lexus to do something on the GS for its last year - like the special edition package of the Accord. Maybe a full L-tuned version? Maybe blacked out trim? Both would have been really nice and helped the sales in the last year.
Old 08-15-03, 07:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,388 Posts

Originally posted by BuyERTS
Unfortunately, the GS seems to be the bastard (can I say that here?) step-child of the Lexus line right now. Wait until the new generation comes out though. It'll be back in the spotlight...
Oh puleazzzz ... I for one am glad my nearly 4 year old 2000 GS looks basically the same as a new one (actually mine looks better because of the mods ). People who see or ride in my car go still go "wow" and find it very 'new' and current. Lexus is spending its investment dollars in the new one, and not in the current model. Sounds good to me.

Yes, the LX470 got some new goodies last year but that was the first freshening in a few years and probably the last changes before the next gen. The GS got a bunch of changes in '01 also (new nav, new stereo, improved headlights, several other interior changes, new engine, the 300 got the SportDesign suspension and other goodies, etc.).
Old 08-15-03, 08:04 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Im very happy the GS has no changes. To me its still one of the hottest deigns on the road, and that says a lot since it came out in 1997 as a MY 98.

To all the people complaining that there are no changes, MB and BMW does the same thing. The 5 series has not changed since it was introduced in 96 as a 97 model. The previous E class was introduced as a 96 model and it had no significant changes until this year.

The current GS is a classic design that will look great long after the next one comes out.
Old 08-16-03, 10:47 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I agree

I get people assuming my '98 GS4 is brand spankin' new, so I for one am happy they haven't made drastic changes to it.
A good looking car is a good looking car regardless. I can think of MANY older vehicles that I still admire and stare down becuse they were styled beautifully, doesn't matter how old they are, if it's been styled well it will hold up. FWIW, I was doing some head yanking when the new 350 Z came out, but now...It's no big deal to see one, even though they're still pretty cars, the novelty wears off fast. It will be the same for the new GS.
I also feel the current GS will still draw admiring comments even when the next generation is on the road.
Especially for you guys that have done some killer modding on yours. (still in the future for me)
Old 08-16-03, 11:36 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

the changes from 00-01 are quite significant, the new dvd nav screen, mark levingson, taillight, headlight, steeringwheel, gadges, etc... I find myself content with it

I agree with most people's view, a luxury car shouldn't be changed frequently, so the value is better preserved. I sure don't want to buy my GS430 knowing it will have better change in a short time.

Last edited by gsintensive; 08-16-03 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply: changes on '04 GS