GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus Gs400 remote turn on wire

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-19, 07:12 PM
iGotDat1UZ
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus Gs400 remote turn on wire

FACTORY RADIO HARNESS

I wanted to show everyone which wire works for remote turn on, because I could not find a correct answer for my 2GS.

What you want to do is go to your factory radio harness and locate the the plug with the gray wire with tiny darker gray lines. That wire works for a remote turn on wire and it works whenever you turn your key to the acc position. I have done this today with my Alpine MRV-500 and the blue light shines only when the car turns on. When you do this, I strongly recommend that you unhook your battery. Another trick so that your car doesn't idle low whenever you plug the battery back up is to hold the RPM for one minute at 1250. This will let the ecu learn a good idling spot so it doesn't feel like it is going to stall.

Thanks,
Ashwin
Old 06-11-19, 01:24 PM
brains646
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you referring to a remote turn on for an external amp or to get a signal to the factory amp for the factory sub?
Old 06-11-19, 02:03 PM
iGotDat1UZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by brains646
Are you referring to a remote turn on for an external amp or to get a signal to the factory amp for the factory sub?
An external amplifier to power a separate setup. There is also a way to keep the factory subwoofer working with an aftermarket setup
Old 06-11-19, 02:07 PM
brains646
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iGotDat1UZ
An external amplifier to power a separate setup. There is also a way to keep the factory subwoofer working with an aftermarket setup
Can you keep the factory sub working with the factory sub amp while using an aftermarket head unit? Well, I know it can be done but have you found a way to do it without major surgery?
Old 06-11-19, 02:12 PM
iGotDat1UZ
Rookie

Can you keep the factory sub working with the factory sub amp while using an aftermarket head unit? Well, I know it can be done but have you found a way to do it without major surgery?
I don't know on the top of my head, but I think there is a conversion device to keep the factory amplifier along with an aftermarket headunit. I was thinking about doing the same route but the factory setup is a bit bizzare.
Old 06-11-19, 02:16 PM
brains646
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I got a little excited because this is an ongoing issue that the only solution to has been major surgery that just doesn't seem worth the effort. If there is a conversion device then the question would be "how much are we willing to pay to power a sub that is average at best?". I already have an aftermarket HU and I can get an amp to push that sub for less than $100.00 so that seems to be a much easier route to take.
Old 06-11-19, 02:19 PM
iGotDat1UZ
Rookie

Ok, I got a little excited because this is an ongoing issue that the only solution to has been major surgery that just doesn't seem worth the effort. If there is a conversion device then the question would be "how much are we willing to pay to power a sub that is average at best?". I already have an aftermarket HU and I can get an amp to push that sub for less than $100.00 so that seems to be a much easier route to take.
Exactly. I don't think it is worth keeping the factory amp like that, but you could try to have your whole car's system amped from a 5 channel amp and just put a low pass for the subwoofer but like I said, it is a waste of money to power a factory sub like that.
Old 06-11-19, 02:26 PM
brains646
Driver School Candidate

I'll be upgrading all the speakers slowly. First will be the small amp and powering the sub. After that there will be two sets of JBL GX Line speakers along with a new set of tweets and an alpine mini amp. I'm 42 so I don't need to announce my presence with authority lol I just need my stuff to sound good and my kids to not laugh at my stereo.
Old 06-11-19, 03:51 PM
iGotDat1UZ
Rookie

I'll be upgrading all the speakers slowly. First will be the small amp and powering the sub. After that there will be two sets of JBL GX Line speakers along with a new set of tweets and an alpine mini amp. I'm 42 so I don't need to announce my presence with authority lol I just need my stuff to sound good and my kids to not laugh at my stereo.
Haha, I understand. I would love to see your audio build. I usually go with custom setups but I love the nice Mellow setups you are going with. If you need any help let me know. Also, I don't know if you have seen jbl these days but I feel their car audio quality is downgrading. If you have the money for those jbl speakers, I HIGHLY recommend crescendo audio. They are meant for crisp audiophile sound but aren't that expensive. Give them a look. Also, I like skar audio too. They make good amplifiers and great speakers. Good luck!
Old 06-11-19, 04:25 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

I have yet to see anybody post an actual solution to turning on the factory amplifier with an aftermarket source. If you've actually found one, post it here and end 20 years of head scratching. Otherwise, I'm calling BS.
Old 06-11-19, 04:52 PM
iGotDat1UZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by firelizard
I have yet to see anybody post an actual solution to turning on the factory amplifier with an aftermarket source. If you've actually found one, post it here and end 20 years of head scratching. Otherwise, I'm calling BS.
Sorry if you clicked on this to find a solution for that but this was meant for a subwoofer amplifier. I don't know how the factory amplifier works but if it uses remote sensing, then just use that with the factory amp. I'm pretty sure you can splice your speaker wires into the aftermarket harness to use the factory amp and aftermarket headunit. Most people want to get rid of the factory amp and I think you can just route your speaker wires into the factory amp. I will look into it more and tell you.
Old 06-11-19, 05:44 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

I was addressing posts #3, #4, and #5. You guys seem to think it's doable, while the common knowledge so far has been that it isn't.
Old 06-11-19, 05:51 PM
iGotDat1UZ
Rookie

I was addressing posts #3, #4, and #5. You guys seem to think it's doable, while the common knowledge so far has been that it isn't.
Alright I see wym, I'm sure there is a way. The new headunit will have speaker outputs so can't you just use that to send a signal to factory amp and just splice a remote turn on wire that amp as well? Maybe you can make a custom harness for it.
Old 06-11-19, 05:54 PM
iGotDat1UZ
Rookie

I'm sure the hardest part is, is to keep the cd player but you have a new headunit anyways.
Old 06-11-19, 08:28 PM
brains646
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iGotDat1UZ
Haha, I understand. I would love to see your audio build. I usually go with custom setups but I love the nice Mellow setups you are going with. If you need any help let me know. Also, I don't know if you have seen jbl these days but I feel their car audio quality is downgrading. If you have the money for those jbl speakers, I HIGHLY recommend crescendo audio. They are meant for crisp audiophile sound but aren't that expensive. Give them a look. Also, I like skar audio too. They make good amplifiers and great speakers. Good luck!
I've used the JBL speakers in the past for budget systems due to their high input sensitivity. Coupled with the mini amp and a solid mount they really sound great. I had this setup in a 2008 Ram with only stock replacements and I never missed a sub. It's been a while since I looked into aftermarket speakers so I'll definitely look into crescendo when I start tho. So far this is what I've done

Quick Reply: Lexus Gs400 remote turn on wire