GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Pioneer Headunit LCD burnt

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-19, 01:29 AM
sangha333
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pioneer Headunit LCD burnt

Hey everyone,

I have a 98 gs400 with the pioneer non-nav headunit. The LCD is toast and stopped working. I've searched the forums and found the part number for the LCD display but the price is $250+ dollars from pioneer. Anyone have suggestions as to how i can get a cheaper replacement?

Will the 01+ pioneer headunit work? I've seen some people say the newer headunit does work and some say it doesnt. Also does the gs300 from 98-00 have the same one? It seems like going aftermarket is a PITA to do as well.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-19-19, 08:02 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

You can sent it to Tannin electronics, a vendor on this site that does that kind of repairs. Look them up.
I had the same issue with mine so I replaced it with a Pioneer double DIN after market unit that has GPS, backup camera and hands free calling and such. I was given an estimate of $375. from a local electrical shop to replace the screen and back lighting on my OEM unit. I took that money and bought the Pioneer unit instead.
Tannin might be cheaper to get your screen replaced, or do as I did.
The following users liked this post:
sangha333 (04-20-19)
Old 04-20-19, 03:48 AM
sangha333
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
You can sent it to Tannin electronics, a vendor on this site that does that kind of repairs. Look them up.
I had the same issue with mine so I replaced it with a Pioneer double DIN after market unit that has GPS, backup camera and hands free calling and such. I was given an estimate of $375. from a local electrical shop to replace the screen and back lighting on my OEM unit. I took that money and bought the Pioneer unit instead.
Tannin might be cheaper to get your screen replaced, or do as I did.
Sounds good ill check them out. I saw that the LCD screen from pioneer is 285 usd. I live in canada so our dollar is really weak right now. Was the aftermarket unit easy to install? I've read its easier to go aftermarket if you have pioneer oem over nakamichi. But you have to bypass the stock amp and lose your stock sub as well?

I found an oem headunit on ebay for $60 dollars, hopefully the lcd isn't burnt out.

Thanks for the reply
Old 04-20-19, 10:35 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Please define "toast". Are there stuck pixels, is the display totally off, etc?

We've picked apart the '98 GS Nakamichi and Pioneer units way too many times, and can probably make some suggestions on fixing/replacing the LCD screen. We started down this road, after buying a '98 GS4 with a Nakamichi without a working display back-lighting (display worked, no backlight, which was a pain at night...!). If you have a known-working display, it's about 15min to strip the head-unit down to where the front-panel is removed, then another 15min to put it all back together. Add another 15min, if you are swapping a working LCD in for the old non-working LCD. Once we figured out all the tricks, we were able to assemble a factory head-unit with the best front fascia and ***** from them all, with the best LCD, get all the back-light working, and working tape (for a tape interface to our phone audio output jack).

Our local yard charges $20 for any radio, any condition, yet to test the screen, you have to put in a jump box, then disassemble the ignition switch enough to turn the key to ACC. We have yet to get a radio with both a working CD and tape, yet almost always are able to find a unit with a good display.

Let us know what's wrong with the display, and if you're comfortable taking the head-unit apart.
The following users liked this post:
sangha333 (04-20-19)
Old 04-20-19, 04:09 PM
sangha333
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Please define "toast". Are there stuck pixels, is the display totally off, etc?

We've picked apart the '98 GS Nakamichi and Pioneer units way too many times, and can probably make some suggestions on fixing/replacing the LCD screen. We started down this road, after buying a '98 GS4 with a Nakamichi without a working display back-lighting (display worked, no backlight, which was a pain at night...!). If you have a known-working display, it's about 15min to strip the head-unit down to where the front-panel is removed, then another 15min to put it all back together. Add another 15min, if you are swapping a working LCD in for the old non-working LCD. Once we figured out all the tricks, we were able to assemble a factory head-unit with the best front fascia and ***** from them all, with the best LCD, get all the back-light working, and working tape (for a tape interface to our phone audio output jack).

Our local yard charges $20 for any radio, any condition, yet to test the screen, you have to put in a jump box, then disassemble the ignition switch enough to turn the key to ACC. We have yet to get a radio with both a working CD and tape, yet almost always are able to find a unit with a good display.

Let us know what's wrong with the display, and if you're comfortable taking the head-unit apart.
I took a picture of the LCD. All the backlights work, its just the LCD that doesn't display properly.