GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help! Buying a High Mileage 2002 GS 430

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-19, 01:58 PM
WhipAppeal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Buying a High Mileage 2002 GS 430

Sup fellas, so I'm about to buy a 2002 GS 430 with 220,000 miles on it. It's the black on black spec with the wing that I've always wanted and has been hard to find. The interior is in good condition with just a tear on the driver seat, the paint has a few scratches but I didn't see any dents or rust, everything else cosmetically seems fine. Only issue is the check engine light is on due to bad knock sensors, but dude says it doesn't affect the drive at all and doesn't have to be fixed right away. He's willing to let the car go for $2,500. The most I'm willing to spend on fixing it up is $3k-$5k. Do you guys think it's a good buy or does the car have too many miles and will cost too much to bring back to it's prime?

P.S. Besides the knock sensor, I don't plan on doing any work on the car for the first 3 months. Also Transmission was replaced at 70k, engine has never been replaced.

Last edited by WhipAppeal; 04-06-19 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-06-19, 02:39 PM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

It’s a 20 year old turd. Apparently a runny turd at that. Lol.
They can ask what ever they want but let the kbb be your guide and don’t offer a penny more. In fact I’d offer less cuz it needs work.

Dont be “thirsty”. I doubt there’s a line of people wanting to buy that car.

The old old man has now left the building.
Old 04-06-19, 07:59 PM
WhipAppeal
Driver School Candidate

Default I love late 90's and early 2000's Lexus.

Originally Posted by Alphaman19
It’s a 20 year old turd. Apparently a runny turd at that. Lol.
They can ask what ever they want but let the kbb be your guide and don’t offer a penny more. In fact I’d offer less cuz it needs work.

Dont be “thirsty”. I doubt there’s a line of people wanting to buy that car.

The old old man has now left the building.

Thanks I'll definitely check out KBB. My biggest fear is getting a snow ball effect of repairs due to the mileage on the car. I don't mind the age. I had a 93 SC300 that ran like a champ back in 2010-2012.
Old 04-06-19, 08:21 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by WhipAppeal
Sup fellas, so I'm about to buy a 2002 GS 430 with 220,000 miles on it. It's the black on black spec with the wing that I've always wanted and has been hard to find. The interior is in good condition with just a tear on the driver seat, the paint has a few scratches but I didn't see any dents or rust, everything else cosmetically seems fine. Only issue is the check engine light is on due to bad knock sensors, but dude says it doesn't affect the drive at all and doesn't have to be fixed right away. He's willing to let the car go for $2,500. The most I'm willing to spend on fixing it up is $3k-$5k. Do you guys think it's a good buy or does the car have too many miles and will cost too much to bring back to it's prime?

P.S. Besides the knock sensor, I don't plan on doing any work on the car for the first 3 months. Also Transmission was replaced at 70k, engine has never been replaced.
the car is trash. Bad sensors which are red flags, replaced transmission...another red flag. Has he replaced the TB, seals, WP? I wouldn’t touch it. You need to spend some time reading the sticky above
Old 04-07-19, 06:44 AM
throttlejo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well first he's not telling you the truth. The knock sensor code pulls timing out of the motor and you will know because its slower then a Yugo!! The motor probably needs motor mounts and valve cover seals then your basic water pump/timing belt kit.

I personally don't like to hear that trannies are replaced ,especially on a car not know for tranny problems. Just my opinion.

But if you think it looks good and a fair price, there's tons of info of how to's on here to help you fix almost anything .
Old 04-07-19, 06:56 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 377 Posts

The car will be a money pit. By now it needs everything you can imagine. It's high miles and will not increase in value even after going through it completely.. At least wait and try to get it for a better price. Like Alphaman said. You don't need to be in a hurry on this one. Even act like you're going to pass on it and see how the price drops.
Old 04-07-19, 07:06 AM
WhipAppeal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by throttlejo
Well first he's not telling you the truth. The knock sensor code pulls timing out of the motor and you will know because its slower then a Yugo!! The motor probably needs motor mounts and valve cover seals then your basic water pump/timing belt kit.

I personally don't like to hear that trannies are replaced ,especially on a car not know for tranny problems. Just my opinion.

But if you think it looks good and a fair price, there's tons of info of how to's on here to help you fix almost anything .

Wow sounds like the work will be well over $1,000. So even if I talk him down to $2,000 it still might not be worth it. Also I live in NYC so no space to work on the car myself. I have to put my faith and money into a mechanic. I dont need the car immediately so I don't mind leaving it at the shop for a while. Do you think with everything you've said I can get the car up and running to last me atleast 3 months with $1,250 for repairs?

In 3 months I can put some real money into it.
Old 04-07-19, 07:16 AM
WhipAppeal
Driver School Candidate

Default This is it. Now that you can see it. Let me know if you think she's worth it.

Old 04-07-19, 07:27 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

If you are mechanically capable and can do all or most of the work yourself, I would offer him $1,500.
What are your plans for the car, weekend modded or daily driver?
You can then do all the maintenance yourself and go from there.
I recently bought an 01 GS430 with 170K miles for $1,400 in FL and drove it home 800 miles with no issues.
I did all the maintenance myself TB, WP seals, belts plugs, sensors, fluids and such with all OEM parts.
The car is now a perfect daily driver. Fact is, last weekend I made a round trip to Miami from Atlanta and she ran beautifully.
Maybe I just got lucky with mine.
Changing the knock sensors is a 4 to 5 hour job and should be addressed immediately. While in there I suggest you change the starter and vacuum sensor for the throttle plates.
Good luck with you search, you can hold out to find a lower mileage car or get a project and fix it to your liking.
This is a pic of my car as she sits now, I have put about $2000. in suspension and maintenance parts.

Old 04-07-19, 07:30 AM
WhipAppeal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
The car will be a money pit. By now it needs everything you can imagine. It's high miles and will not increase in value even after going through it completely.. At least wait and try to get it for a better price. Like Alphaman said. You don't need to be in a hurry on this one. Even act like you're going to pass on it and see how the price drops.

I don't plan on reselling the car. For me she's a keeper for the long hawl. But thanks bro. That money pit is a trap I don't want to fall into right now. I can be patient. The black on black is just hard to find. Still I guess I can always paint one black that already has a black interior.
Old 04-07-19, 07:39 AM
WhipAppeal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
If you are mechanically capable and can do all or most of the work yourself, I would offer him $1,500.
What are your plans for the car, weekend modded or daily driver?
You can then do all the maintenance yourself and go from there.
I recently bought an 01 GS430 with 170K miles for $1,400 in FL and drove it home 800 miles with no issues.
I did all the maintenance myself TB, WP seals, belts plugs, sensors, fluids and such with all OEM parts.
The car is now a perfect daily driver. Fact is, last weekend I made a round trip to Miami from Atlanta and she ran beautifully.
Maybe I just got lucky with mine.
Changing the knock sensors is a 4 to 5 hour job and should be addressed immediately. While in there I suggest you change the starter and vacuum sensor for the throttle plates.
Good luck with you search, you can hold out to find a lower mileage car or get a project and fix it to your liking.
This is a pic of my car as she sits now, I have put about $2000. in suspension and maintenance parts.

Nice. That's the dream right there. To get it looking nice, fresh and running smoothly. I want to daily it. If I do any work it'll just be light stuff like rims, intake, exhaust and remote start. Just make her a little nicer and faster so that she's above stock but still keeps the Lexus reliability. Too bad I cant do any of the work myself. Price of living in New York.
Old 04-07-19, 07:51 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by WhipAppeal
Nice. That's the dream right there. To get it looking nice, fresh and running smoothly. I want to daily it. If I do any work it'll just be light stuff like rims, intake, exhaust and remote start. Just make her a little nicer and faster so that she's above stock but still keeps the Lexus reliability. Too bad I cant do any of the work myself. Price of living in New York.
Based on the pics of the car you posted I think she is worth it, however I would make an offer $1,500 and go from there. How do you plan on getting the car to NYC, drive or have it shipped? That will add to your end cost.
Yes, living in NYC has it's downside, that is one reasons I moved to GA, lol.
She will make a nice restoration project. I would not pay more than $2,000. for it though. Have a good conversation with the oowner and get as much details about the car as you can. Good luck
Old 04-07-19, 07:55 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Get the VIN for the car and register on MYLEXUS.com and research the service history. Based on that you can make your decision and get more information to help you negotiate a price.
How many previous owners the car went through?
Old 04-07-19, 12:20 PM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Dude, If your girl cheated on you would you “rationalize” why you should keep her? If yes, then buy the car. If no, then don’t buy the car.

Feelings and finances don’t go well together.

Old man out.
The following users liked this post:
WhipAppeal (04-12-19)
Old 04-07-19, 06:33 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Knock sensors are not the end of the world, just make sure the ball joints and control arms have been done...if not those are pricey items. Just did the starter on my GS400 and she runs great with 233k...no problems whatsoever. However, I'm the original owner so I know she's been serviced. Be sure the service history is there before you purchase this vehicle (lexusdrivers.com) or have a PPI done if you're on the fence.
The following users liked this post:
WhipAppeal (04-12-19)

Quick Reply: Help! Buying a High Mileage 2002 GS 430