GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Recent purchase issue with 2003 Lexus GS430

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-18, 09:17 PM
sharee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Recent purchase issue with 2003 Lexus GS430

So bought this Lexus for our son. He really wanted one as we had a 2004 Lexus a few years back which got totaled.

I found a 2003 Lexus GS430 and I was hesitant for him to buy it but it was his money so what can you do. Plus he said he had no issues putting any money into it.
He paid 4900 Canadian for it. The transmission and the engine are strong and shift great.

So the things we noticed:

No alarm key fob. Just an ignition key.
Their seems to be a light washer in the front of one of the lights that is missing. It looks like something sprays out of it.
The oil casing is bent so you can't put a dipstick in. That needs to be replaced.
The button on the main door that controls all the locks does not seem to work as none of the other doorslocks move. You just hear a noise. That is agitating as you have to manually lock the doors by hand.
Slight vibration when driving and putting the brakes on. Previous owner says 60% brakes.
The VRC light is on.

Any ideas of where to get the window washer spray module and the oil dipstick would be helpful. Also if he should have ran from the car. The insurance agent said the gold book is between 5400 and 9995.

Old 08-06-18, 09:56 PM
firelizard
Forum Moderator

Received 459 Likes on 363 Posts

I bought a replacement headlight washer from LexusPartsNow.com for $50USD.
Old 08-06-18, 10:54 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

The door lock actuators are a common problem on these GS models. You can find a set of 4 actuators and change them yourself if you are mechanical or take it to a shop but make sure you find the right ones.
Old 08-06-18, 11:42 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

There's a seller on facebook that offers actuators and key fobs. May want to check them out. https://facebook.com/luxiousauto
The following users liked this post:
sharee (08-11-18)
Old 08-07-18, 05:42 AM
sharee
Driver School Candidate

Will each door have to be taken off to replace the actuators? I had assumed just the drivers door would have had to be replaced because it controlled all the other locks but I believe you are correct into replacing all of them. When I pushed the drivers door to move the others, I could hear them trying to move but nothing was happening.

Old 08-07-18, 08:10 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by sharee
Will each door have to be taken off to replace the actuators? I had assumed just the drivers door would have had to be replaced because it controlled all the other locks but I believe you are correct into replacing all of them. When I pushed the drivers door to move the others, I could hear them trying to move but nothing was happening.
hey 7 year member, maybe spend some time searching before posting all these threads we have already talked about a billion times

here is a very helpful link

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...iy-thread.html
sharee (08-10-18)
Old 08-08-18, 07:06 PM
n1ck
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TW99GS300
There's a seller on facebook that offers actuators and key fobs. May want to check them out. https://facebook.com/luxiousauto
Definitely get your actuators from Mike and get them quick because they sell out quick. He also has master keys you may be interested in.

The vibration could be suspension related. Check bushings, grease seals, ect. Warn front caster arm bushings are known to cause vibration issues. Check those ball joints too.

Definitely peruse the 2GS FAQ thread, all the answers to your questions are there.
Old 08-08-18, 08:12 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes the door panel has to come off. And they also provide instructional videos with purchase.
Old 08-09-18, 07:37 AM
toneekay
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can vouch for Mike (LuxiousAuto) on the Facebook link provided above. I've bought a replacement key (with keyless remote buttons) and door actuators from him without a hitch. He provides all instructional videos on how to program keys and install actuators on the GS as well. They'll all super cheap as well.

As far as your vibration issue, if it just vibrates while driving, I would suspect unbalanced tires and/or steering rack. If it happens while only braking, then it'll be your pads and/or rotors (I would just replace them on all four wheels for maintenance purposes).
Old 08-09-18, 11:31 PM
sharee
Driver School Candidate

I brought it to to Toyota and my kid is upset. I told him not to worry as I have some connections so I can get the work done cheaper than Toyota from someone else.
There was a list of things that needed to be done "supposedly". My big question is the oxygen sensor.
I was told that unless that is replaced they will not know what is throwing the VSC code. They said they think its the master cylinder (quote at almost 3500) and 500 for labour...but they dont know for sure. They said once the oxygen sensor is in they will reset the codes and then they said they will know. They said the car was throwing 7 codes.

This car problems is a nightmare already Im thinking but can't say that to my kid. Im going to order the fob first as even Lexus can't help with that anyway and the door actuator as Toyota totally missed that on the list of issues.
Old 08-10-18, 06:25 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

The master cylinder is very expensive on these cars but you don't need to pay that much to have it changed. Take it to an indy and have them install a used unit (~$500) from the post refresh models (01+ I think). The BMC from the SC430 will also work in our cars
Old 08-11-18, 05:50 PM
sharee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TW99GS300

I ordered both the key and the actuators from Mike. Thank you for you help in this.
Old 08-11-18, 06:18 PM
sharee
Driver School Candidate

His "new" car..

Old 08-11-18, 07:27 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Very nice, congratulations on your new GS.
Old 08-12-18, 07:45 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Nice looking car!! It's not perfect but once you get the issues sorted out this car will last for a long time. Trust me I know. Purchased mine back in 1999 and had a few issues around 120,000 miles but for some reason couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. Thankfully I didn't and 10 years later she's still going.

You can look on eBay for a used ABS unit (if that turns out to be the case) and have a reputable indy shop install it. The dealer will only want to install new and as you know it's very expensive. The dealer wanted $1,372 to replace the radio cover door on our SC430 and I found the part on eBay for $200 and replaced it myself.

sharee (08-22-18)

Quick Reply: Recent purchase issue with 2003 Lexus GS430