GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What cell phone mount are you using? 2018

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-18, 01:32 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts
Default What cell phone mount are you using? 2018

I'm looking for a suggestion for a good cell phone mount. I've found a few threads about this and some of the threads are old enough that the mounts aren't available anymore. I figured I would ask again for some current suggestions.
Old 06-27-18, 01:40 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

I got the tein cell phone mount.. just clips into the hvac vents and has a magnet.. works and looks good.
Old 06-27-18, 03:34 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Easily attaches to CD player on IS350 F Sport, is out of the way, does not block view, easy to see and work if needed, easy to charge. I tried dash and window mount, but this was easiest.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (07-02-18)
Old 06-27-18, 05:07 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

This is the one I use and is the best one, NO ONE SHOULD NEED ONE!!! You're driving for Christ's sake!!! Sheesh!

The following 2 users liked this post by Mr Jokster:
sakataj (06-28-18), ShrinkDoc (06-27-18)
Old 06-27-18, 06:11 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
This is the one I use and is the best one, NO ONE SHOULD NEED ONE!!! You're driving for Christ's sake!!! Sheesh!

You, sir, have won the internet today and for the rest of the week!!!
Old 06-27-18, 06:24 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Lmao!
Old 06-29-18, 06:16 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

I use my phone for music rather than terrestrial radio. Because of local distracted driving laws, I'm not technically supposed to touch or look at it while driving, even if performing the same functions as my factory in-dash touch screen. The only exception is if it is mounted and uses one-touch or voice commands, so a good mobile phone mount goes a long way. It's also extremely useful for road trips, since Google Maps (especially with Bluetooth!) is far, far superior to the 20 year old Lexus navigation, and even better than most current OEM nav systems.
Old 06-29-18, 09:50 PM
nehinbin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't mind mounting to your dash, use iOttie.
Amazon Amazon

They also have a wireless charger mount but I haven't tried it yet, a bit pricey.
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-30-18, 08:20 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by firelizard
I use my phone for music rather than terrestrial radio. Because of local distracted driving laws, I'm not technically supposed to touch or look at it while driving, even if performing the same functions as my factory in-dash touch screen. The only exception is if it is mounted and uses one-touch or voice commands, so a good mobile phone mount goes a long way. It's also extremely useful for road trips, since Google Maps (especially with Bluetooth!) is far, far superior to the 20 year old Lexus navigation, and even better than most current OEM nav systems.
I can do all of that with the phone sitting on my passenger seat, or while in my cup holder.. A mount isn't needed if you're not driving, thats why my hands for when I pull over to look at it, but even then I don't have the need to look at my phone for anything. Never have I used navigation, its called planing for a trip before leaving.

Why does this all upset me? I work for my local municipal which involves me driving the streets 8+ hours a day and I see people with their eyes buried in their phones while driving. I've had to avoid countless accidents, all to turn and see a phone in someones hands and I swear I've seen thus said mount being 'messed' with while driving. I will never believe someone if they said they didnt take their eyes off the road to look at their phone on a mount, its tempting.

On a slight tangent, every time these people almost hit me or another vehicle and I or the other honks to avoid a collision... These same idiots get pissed at me as if "I" were the one who was in the wrong, they'll even honk back and gesture...

This generation is just horrible! (and I'm not even that old)
Old 06-30-18, 02:41 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
I can do all of that with the phone sitting on my passenger seat, or while in my cup holder..
Not legally, here. And it's still less convenient. Picking up a device to use it takes your eyes and attention off the road longer.

A mount isn't needed if you're not driving, thats why my hands for when I pull over to look at it, but even then I don't have the need to look at my phone for anything. Never have I used navigation, its called planing for a trip before leaving.
Good for you. Having navigation is better than not having it. Do you not believe in maps? Feel free to not make your own life easier, nobody cares. Having directions called out to you in real time with a live reference map is less distracting than trying to recall the map you looked at before leaving while trying to drive, read signs, and look for landmarks.
Old 06-30-18, 06:32 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Oh my bad, I should have been clearer since my standing on the subject is vague... oh wait, it was clear how to use a phone
thats why my hands for when I pull over to look at it
it stays in my cup holder and my seat until I feel the need to pull over and give it attention...

As for navigation. I've found people are quite unintelligent and have no sense of direction nor understand you don't have to memorize every thousand turns to find a location. All you need are but a handful of major turnoffs to find a location. Nonetheless, phones should not occupy a drivers attention.

LoL "make my life easier"? lmao my bad, I actually do have navigation in my car, used it once JUST for the experience... laughed my **** off the whole time because it cant decipher easier paths from quicker paths. Maybe I'm just a bit more intelligent than the average person, but I don't like thinking that way.

sorry for all the misspellings and typos and everything else that can be used against me... I'm quite unintelligent, I make a lot of mistakes. Including replying this tread with logic.
Old 07-02-18, 02:55 PM
n1ck
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm unintelligent and have no sense of direction so I use
this mount this mount
that I attached to my dash. It lets my phone sit between the cluster and the hazard button which is the perfect spot for me. Doesn't cover anything or obstruct my view of the road at all. Oh yeah, and it was 10 bucks
Old 07-02-18, 08:47 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by n1ck
I'm unintelligent and have no sense of direction so I use this mount that I attached to my dash. It lets my phone sit between the cluster and the hazard button which is the perfect spot for me. Doesn't cover anything or obstruct my view of the road at all. Oh yeah, and it was 10 bucks
Does it actually stick to the dash? Most mounts don't stick very long to the dash, at least not in my experience.
Old 07-02-18, 09:51 PM
n1ck
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
Does it actually stick to the dash? Most mounts don't stick very long to the dash, at least not in my experience.
I bought
this this
and stuck it to the dash, yes. It lasted about 5 months before it fell off just the other day actually lol. It's been 90 plus here and I was a little too violent with it when cleaning the dash. I would buy another one though, I like the spot. I ran the wire for the phone charger through the center console and out the spot where the ignition is so it looks a little cleaner when it's charging.
Old 07-03-18, 10:27 AM
revs9k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
I'm looking for a suggestion for a good cell phone mount. I've found a few threads about this and some of the threads are old enough that the mounts aren't available anymore. I figured I would ask again for some current suggestions.
Our vents suck for phone holders... this is the best fitting... and least intrusive one that I've found
Attached Thumbnails What cell phone mount are you using? 2018-20180703_121940.jpg  

Quick Reply: What cell phone mount are you using? 2018