GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

aristo swap experts needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-18, 06:06 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default aristo swap experts needed

I recently installed a toyota aristo vvti 2jzgte in my 2002 gs430. i have another thread about it already but I purposely created this thread because i want to focus on one thing.
I'am obsessing over getting as many things working like factory as I can. So far I've managed to get everything working like factory including all shift indicator lights, cruise control, full automatic a/c, all gauges including fuel and temp etc...
for alot of you guys who did the swap probably started with a gs300 so it was likely very plug and play. i learned the hard way a gs430 is the opposite. the only plug and play thing about it was actually fitting the engine in the engine bay. LITERALLY. everything else had to be custom made and rewired.
ANYWAYS. what im currently spending way to much time pouring over pages and pages of threads and reading every schematic I can get my hands on to get my ECT power switch SNOW switch working. I've seen enough youtube videos of some guys running around with an aristo swap and their instrument cluster was illuminated with the green PWR illuminated. I'am excellent at wiring and reading schematics and so far I've verified that the PWR button when pushed sends a signal to the number one body control module. it than relays the signal via multiplex communication network to the aristo engine computer. and there is when it doesn't respond. I'd like to start off with getting some of you to chime in that your aristo swap has functioning PWR and SNOW mode when switched on and off. also, what year your car is and which aristo ecu your running, non immobilized or immobilized. please and thank you.
Old 02-22-18, 10:14 PM
KyleH
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 104 Posts

I have a 99 gs with an aristo powertrain. Non-immobilizer ecu. Works fine as far as I know. I always leave it in ECT/Power mode because the shifts are super early otherwise. Havent had the occasion to try snow mode. Do your lights even illuminate when you activate the switch?

On an unrelated note, does your cruise work at speeds over 65?
Old 02-22-18, 11:00 PM
LexLova
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My pwr etc works like normal , only the non immobilized ecu ending in -3a470 works. If you're using the a340 4 speed it should work fine
Old 03-28-18, 06:27 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexLova
My pwr etc works like normal , only the non immobilized ecu ending in -3a470 works. If you're using the a340 4 speed it should work fine
the only thing i can think of that is causing my pwr mode not to light up is some sort of incomplete circuit going to the aristo ecu, thus not allowing power mode for trans to function. after going through all of my schematics and inspecting every wire going to my plugs f59 and f60, all i could find that is not there is the wire going to "3". it is in f59 which is the ecu plug second to last. from what i can gather on the original japanese wiring schematic, it goes from the transmission shifter directly to f59 for pin thats labeled "3".
it seems that when the shifter is put into manual mode it completes the circuit telling the ecu that the shifter has been put into manual mode and than the ecu will allow paddle shifting using the steering wheel buttons. my car doesnt have sport shift buttons. i also dont have "3" wired in from the shifter. im wondering if that wire lacking going to the ecu is why the pwr mode is not illuminating. it worked before on the original 3uz application. im including two pics. the japanese wiring shows the setup including the trans range switch, shifter, and engine ecu.
Old 03-28-18, 12:09 PM
vijayn
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2000 GS300 with a 2000 aristo swap with everything working apart from the following:

- open door light indicator in the cluster doesn't work
- illumination on the stereo / ac unit does not come on when I turn my headlights on
- srs airbag light comes on

If I remember correctly, going back to the GS300 cluster fixes these problems.

However my power and snow switch works, as well as the VSC / ABS system.

Im wondering if you need to change out the N.O 1 body ECU for the Aristo one? Just check the wiring diagram I put up and compare the pin numbers to the GS400 pinout info and see if they match.

Have you changed the instrument cluster as well? Im assuming you have because you got the fuel level gauge reading correctly now?
Attached Files
Old 03-28-18, 04:32 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

first off thank you for your response. would it be safe to assume that since you seem to be located in New Zealand that your modules are maybe setup differently. for instance, no one else seems to have functioning abs and vsc with an aristo swap. all of them have a common problem which is the vsc and vsc off light up due to lack of communication with a ars module for rear steer. also, my instrument cluster is the original gs430 cluster. i never had a problem with my gas gauge. it works fine. iam using an original aristo fuel pump hanger though.
i also dont have any of the problems that you do with srs air bag or lack of illuminations.
i also feel that the body 1 module is not to blame. too many of these aristo swaps have working PWR mode on their clusters. none of them have mentioned swapping any body modules. plus when i do an all module scan with the autel maxisys scanner, no codes or communication issues are reported except the ars communication code. sometime this week im going to run the wire to "3" and see if that brings it back online.
Old 03-28-18, 05:10 PM
vijayn
Driver

Sorry my mistake, I should mentioned that I have done some custom wiring to enable VSC to work. I basically had to wire up the ARS ecu and relay with the VSC wires to fool it into thinking it was still connected. I did a write up of it (which should be posted on this forum somewhere) based off some a Russian guys instructions and its working all good now.

I dont think there would be any differences with the US and NZ GS300 / GS400 versions but I could be wrong. I think the reason why you aren't getting any cluster problems like I have is because your still using the stock cluster. The only reason I swapped my GS300 cluster to the Aristo one was because the fuel gauge wasn't reading correctly when empty and apparently the fuel gauge readings are based off of a calculation within the cluster and not soley on the fuel senders units, which is why I had to change to the Aristo cluster to read correctly.

Are you able to try and swap out the GS400 cluster to a Aristo one and see if that fixes any issues? Because the cluster receives and sends signals on the MPX wire too and that maybe causing some issues as its the not the correct cluster for the engine ECU..
Old 03-28-18, 05:15 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

That pin 7 on the F59 connector is just the signal to the ecu for manual mode. Its what enables the Shift up and down functions on the aristo. It works in conjunction with pin 4 and 14 on the same connector.

Where does that pin terminate on your harness?
Old 03-28-18, 05:20 PM
vijayn
Driver

It sounds like possibly your GS430 cluster is still calculating fuel based on the factory fuel system but because the 1UZFE and the 2JZGTE engines use similar fuel consumption compared to the 2JZGE engine, the cluster calculations are near the same which is why your fuel gauge is reading correctly? I don't know for sure but just a thought.
Because I've seen other users doing swaps from a GS300 to a Aristo and they have problems with fuel gauge readings.
Old 03-28-18, 05:27 PM
vijayn
Driver

Just had a quick look at the engine wiring diagram and pin 3 of the F59 connector is for the fuel pressure control as its connected on the "FCUT" pin on the engine ecu and the "FPC" pin on the fuel pump ecu.
Attached Files
Old 03-28-18, 06:00 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Hes not talking about pin 3.....its pin 7 thats labeled "3"
Old 03-28-18, 07:05 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

thanks for jumping on board with this. both of ya'll. in response to letsride question about where the wire is terminating. in the schematic down below its the original 2002 gs430 schematic which shows the factory shifter wiring going to the ecu. now if you pay attention to pin 2 at the shift lock control ecu its labeled "4". which just so happens to be the manual mode option for the earlier sport shift option builds. so technically if i take that factory wire which is yellow and green and tap that directly into "3" at the aristo ecu than that would be the same as the factory aristo in japan signaling the ecu that sport shift has been engaged and to now allow the buttons on the steering wheel to be activated. now even though i dont have sport shift buttons, im trying to rule out any possibilities that might be disabling my PWR mode from working.
in the original japanese wiring diagram "3" goes to whats called a pull down resistor in the ecu. the issue is that if theres a open circuit that doesn't even have millivolts of current flowing thru it its likely the ecu tries to protect itself and disable to pwr snow option all together. but in this case im just trying to rule out all possibilities.
Old 03-29-18, 01:46 AM
vijayn
Driver

Ah yes sorry I missed that "label 3" part in the original post.
Can anyone with sports shift controls confirm whether you can enable / disable snow and power modes separately to the sports shift mode?
Old 03-29-18, 04:52 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vijayn
Ah yes sorry I missed that "label 3" part in the original post.
Can anyone with sports shift controls confirm whether you can enable / disable snow and power modes separately to the sports shift mode?
great idea. therefore once sport shift is engaged if the pwr light turns off. in theory it should since your now taking command of the shifts and shift points.
Old 05-22-18, 06:11 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vijayn
I have a 2000 GS300 with a 2000 aristo swap with everything working apart from the following:

- open door light indicator in the cluster doesn't work
- illumination on the stereo / ac unit does not come on when I turn my headlights on
- srs airbag light comes on

If I remember correctly, going back to the GS300 cluster fixes these problems.

However my power and snow switch works, as well as the VSC / ABS system.

Im wondering if you need to change out the N.O 1 body ECU for the Aristo one? Just check the wiring diagram I put up and compare the pin numbers to the GS400 pinout info and see if they match.

Have you changed the instrument cluster as well? Im assuming you have because you got the fuel level gauge reading correctly now?
funny you mention changing the no. 1 body ecu. the other day i pulled the car into the shop to pour over all my wiring for the engine computer and all the ecm to body wiring. i verified that every wire possible is there for the engine computer and the body wiring. and when i do an all module scan with the autel scanner, nothing reports back. so that got me into looking into the number one body ecu. since i know for a fact that it is getting the signal from the pwr switch but not making its way to the engine computer it must be a communication issue. not that its not hooked up but rather the comm. signal is different for the aristo computer than maybe a gs430 bcm is.
sooooo. here come the part number searches. i discovered the early model gs300's run a different part number for the number one bcm than whats in my 2002 gs430. so ebaymotors to the rescue. bam, found a 98-00 gs300 bcm that runs a different part number. 30 dollars later that **** is on order and i will plug it in and see what happens. im hoping the communication to the aristo ecm will talk in regards to pwr mode. some people who've responded on this thread have stated they have a gs300 with functioning pwr mode. no one regarding gs400 or gs430. so its a cheap gamble. i hope it works.

Quick Reply: aristo swap experts needed