GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS300 won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-17, 02:55 PM
Jordan671
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS300 won’t start

Hi everyone, so I recently bought a GS300 a little over a week now and I’ve been working on it. So I was cleaning my interior last night and it started and everything no problems. Then today I was going to work on it and clean the trunk and I notice that the trunk wouldn’t open. I just figured the valet lock was somehow locked. So I didn’t think to much of it until I put the key into the ignition and then lights wouldn’t even come on. Then if your try to turn it over nothing it doesn’t even crank. All I hear is this screeching sound from the engine bay witch I found out it was the motor blower relay. But do y’all have any ideas what could be the problem?
Old 10-31-17, 03:24 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Um, quite simple. Dead battery. Most likely that is. If the relay was screaming, it was probably stuck on the "on" position which drained the battery. Remove the relay, try to jump it and see what happens
Old 11-03-17, 04:06 PM
Jordan671
Driver School Candidate

Default Gs300 won’t crank

So I just recently did ignition coil and spark plug change and my car now doesn’t crank when I turn it to the start position nothing but the lights come on that’s it
Old 11-23-17, 02:35 PM
Paris4
Driver School Candidate

My GS 1999 will not start. It isn't the starter or battery I had them replaced. But when I turn the key and hold it to the far right for 5 seconds then it cranks. Sometimes I have to do that a few times before it cranks. It can take up to 15 mins of going back and forth. Funny thing about this is that it happens when the weather is cold.
Did you find your Answer?

Last edited by Paris4; 11-23-17 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-27-17, 11:21 AM
SirBev
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know what, my car has s starting issue also. It only happens, when it's cold. I'm currently dealing with it right now...went outside the car won't start. I have been dealing with this issue on and off for like the last 4 years. Changing battery's, changing starters would resolve the issue again. Then when it get's cold again, the same problem comes up.
Old 11-27-17, 12:37 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by SirBev
You know what, my car has s starting issue also. It only happens, when it's cold. I'm currently dealing with it right now...went outside the car won't start. I have been dealing with this issue on and off for like the last 4 years. Changing battery's, changing starters would resolve the issue again. Then when it get's cold again, the same problem comes up.
How does the car run once it starts, it cold be a fuel enrichment issue. Engine needs a bit more fuel to start when cold. Same idea when you "choke" a 2 stroke. Could be a fuel filter issue. I say for kicks, check the fuel pressure. I only bring this up since you've already attacked the electric issue.

You could always throw some fuel in the intake the next time it doesn't want to start. If it starts easily, then you know that's your problem.
Old 11-30-17, 07:51 AM
Paris4
Driver School Candidate

The car runs great once it starts. Sometimes i have to turn the key 8 to 10 times holding it for 5 seconds before it starts.

It seems more of an electrical issues then a fuel issues. I first thought it could be something with the ignition but now i don't know what it could be. If anyone can tell me what would allow my dash to light up and the radio turn on but would not make a connection to run the engine.
I'm sorry if this sounds funny but i don't know anything about cars. Every time i take it to the mechanic he/they looks at me funny because it doesn't happen when he/they test it. I'm sure they thinks "this girl" is crazy!

I have replaced more parts in my engine than most men i know. I can't afford to keep taking it back and forth to the mechanic.
I'm hoping someone can help me with this issue.

I have fix most of my car problems from reading repair solutions off this site. Love the pics that are uploaded on this site. I learned how to change my spark plugs off this site. (a 4 hours job for a first timer) sad i know.
Old 11-30-17, 06:11 PM
vijayn
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have a look at this wiring diagram, it seems like you may have a bad resistance problem on a component. Because it may have high resistance when cold but when it gets hot, the resistance goes down and allows the component to get current. Try measuring resistances when its cold on the fuses and the starter relay. Then move onto the starter solenoid it self.

Any fuses or switches should read zero resistance. Any coils of relays should read 80 - 160 ohms (rough figure). Remember to also measure the resistances of the contact side of the relay too by taking it out and powering the coil directly to your battery and checking resistance on the contacts.
There are a couple good youtube clips on how to test relays.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
starting circuit.pdf (25.6 KB, 104 views)
Old 12-01-17, 05:18 AM
Paris4
Driver School Candidate

Wow, not one mechanic mention anything about a bad resistance problem. I will have to do some research on this issue. Because when I take it back to the "Doctor" I will have to explain the this the Wow, not one mechanic mention anything about a bad resistance problem. I will have to do some research on this issue. Because when I take it back to the "Doctor" I will have to explain the this theory to them.

Here I come Chilton and Haynes.

THANKS
Old 12-03-17, 12:08 PM
vijayn
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Haha, yeah there are some mechanics that don't look or even know about resistance problems. But they cause a whole lot of issues which are hard to find without checking with a meter.
All good, I hope you find the solution to your problem.