GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car got hit and I need to find comps

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-17, 05:31 PM
AkumaUCF10
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car got hit and I need to find comps

Hey guys, so my GS got hit the other night by an uninsured / unlicensed numbskull which has been a lot of fun to deal with as you could imagine. Good thing is I have uninsured motorist coverage and my insurance is taking care of a lot of this stuff. The problem that I'm facing is my car is heavily modified, and when I say that I'm really not exaggerating. I'm a mechanic and do all my own work and I've still managed to spend about 7k on the car in less than 12 months haha fuhhhhh. So my insurance knows this and is trying to find comparable vehicles which means cars like mine aka modified manual swapped 6spd GS300's...

I told them to have fun cus they're not common haha but does anyone know of any for sale right now?
Old 10-14-17, 10:51 AM
LOLjasonW
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

sorry to hear that man. good luck on finding a "replacement"
Old 10-15-17, 07:02 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I work for one of the larger insurance companies and handle total loss settlements on a daily basis. I can tell you, you will have a difficult time getting them to pay for your modified vehicle. Unless you've purchased additional insurance to cover these modifications, then they will likely just pay you the policy maximum for aftermarket equipment which is usually $1k. I can also tell you that they'd probably encourage you to return it to stock because they won't be able to get near what you think your car is worth with these modifications. Feel free to PM me to discuss further.
Old 10-16-17, 09:20 AM
AkumaUCF10
Rookie

Originally Posted by 99rx
I work for one of the larger insurance companies and handle total loss settlements on a daily basis. I can tell you, you will have a difficult time getting them to pay for your modified vehicle. Unless you've purchased additional insurance to cover these modifications, then they will likely just pay you the policy maximum for aftermarket equipment which is usually $1k. I can also tell you that they'd probably encourage you to return it to stock because they won't be able to get near what you think your car is worth with these modifications. Feel free to PM me to discuss further.
Right on man thanks for the insight. I do actually pay higher amounts for both my SC and my GS because they are heavily modified. I'm with USAA and they're usually fair about this kind of stuff. They said that its bordering on a total loss with the damage so far. The thing is its totally repairable the upper frame rail is fine and the only thing that really got damaged were the fender, bumper, headlight and the control arms. I realize to most that would be a death sentence but since I'm a mechanic I can do a lot of the work myself. I'm mainly just trying to keep it from being deemed a total loss since I'd have to do inspections and stuff there's a chance the Staties might not pass it since the CEL is on from the trans swap... That's the real reason I'm trying to find comparables. If you were to just go off the modifications alone and not the M/T swap the comps in my area are high of course but they're gonna be searching nation wide to find other manual swapped GS's which will most likely not yield many results.
Old 10-16-17, 09:30 AM
AkumaUCF10
Rookie

Originally Posted by LOLjasonW
sorry to hear that man. good luck on finding a "replacement"
Thanks man. Luckily its fixable, just a matter of how the red tape with insurance is gonna work out. Its just giving me a reason to go full tube front and upgrade some stuff
Old 10-16-17, 10:06 AM
LOLjasonW
Driver

Originally Posted by AkumaUCF10
Thanks man. Luckily its fixable, just a matter of how the red tape with insurance is gonna work out. Its just giving me a reason to go full tube front and upgrade some stuff
Sweet man, hope this gets all worked out for you. Cant say I speak for the others but I would love to see another build thread go up. haha
Old 10-16-17, 11:11 AM
AkumaUCF10
Rookie

Sweet man, hope this gets all worked out for you. Cant say I speak for the others but I would love to see another build thread go up. haha
I've been deliberating about doing a build thread haha. Maybe once I do a GTE, I have mainly been focusing on the suspension and building it to be a track car. Bummer is I had just dialed in everything suspension wise before I got hit. Hoping to hit the track once its all fixed.
Old 10-16-17, 11:57 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

How about let the insurance co. write it of and pay you on condition you keep the vehicle which you say you can fix up as a mechanic...
Old 10-16-17, 01:22 PM
AkumaUCF10
Rookie

Originally Posted by Htony
How about let the insurance co. write it of and pay you on condition you keep the vehicle which you say you can fix up as a mechanic...
Already covered this.

I'm mainly just trying to keep it from being deemed a total loss since I'd have to do inspections and stuff there's a chance the Staties might not pass it since the CEL is on from the trans swap.
State inspection may screw me over. Not to mention if they deem it a total loss and they have a low valuation of my car the payout is going to be way less
Old 10-16-17, 02:23 PM
LOLjasonW
Driver

I've been deliberating about doing a build thread haha. Maybe once I do a GTE, I have mainly been focusing on the suspension and building it to be a track car. Bummer is I had just dialed in everything suspension wise before I got hit. Hoping to hit the track once its all fixed.
awww man that really sucks, had it track bound too. now i can't wait for you to find another and get the 2.0 going
Old 10-16-17, 10:29 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Russ there's a guy from Russia that sells a device to trick the ECU for Trans Sim.
Old 10-18-17, 10:07 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Right on man thanks for the insight. I do actually pay higher amounts for both my SC and my GS because they are heavily modified. I'm with USAA and they're usually fair about this kind of stuff. They said that its bordering on a total loss with the damage so far. The thing is its totally repairable the upper frame rail is fine and the only thing that really got damaged were the fender, bumper, headlight and the control arms. I realize to most that would be a death sentence but since I'm a mechanic I can do a lot of the work myself. I'm mainly just trying to keep it from being deemed a total loss since I'd have to do inspections and stuff there's a chance the Staties might not pass it since the CEL is on from the trans swap... That's the real reason I'm trying to find comparables. If you were to just go off the modifications alone and not the M/T swap the comps in my area are high of course but they're gonna be searching nation wide to find other manual swapped GS's which will most likely not yield many results.
Very glad to hear you're covered for your modifications. Smart man. Not many people would think they need coverage beyond their normal policy.