GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

is it good idea to buy a GS400 with 300k miles on it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-17, 01:10 PM
fenixnano
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it good idea to buy a GS400 with 300k miles on it?

Hi guys
I need some help here.
I'm considering about buying a 1998 GS400 with 316k miles. it's really high mileage, but it comes with full service record. and the owner lives next door to a mechanic, so it's well maintained.
the car is kept in garage, If he covers the odometer I would believe it's a car with less than 50k miles, very clean both inside and outside, the paint are still shining.
he still have most the receipts for the service record. very cautious guy.
he claim he always use synthetic oil and the car doesn't burn oil. (is there a way to test if it burns oil? )
the price is 2500.

record shows that the starter was replaced at 120k miles, 2006
lower ball joint was replaced basically same time
I've heard it's a common problem for 97-00 GS to have bad ball joints, but after the replacement, how long should it last?
I heard that the original ones would break in about 100k miles, but the replaced one is the same one wiith 01-05, so it would last longer. but how long?

timing belt and lower control arm and bushing were changed recently (within 2 years and 20k miles) so I guess I don't need to worry about it.

is there anything else should I pay attention to?

could anyone help estimate a cost on maintenance and repair for next 2 years? would it be high? any guess would be helpful, I never own a lexus so the only thing I heard is it's pretty expensive to repair...

if you are in this position, would you consider buying this car?
and if I drive for 2 years without break down, would any dealer accept a 330k mile car? how much would it worth then?

here is the full carfax report of it
https://www.carfax.com/api/consumers...cc927b1#Owner1
(the 4 owner issue is because he said he own a company so it was previously registered as his company fleet car)

thank you!
Old 07-15-17, 01:34 PM
fenixnano
Driver School Candidate

btw my budget was set somewhere around 5000, but one owner cars are pretty rare... so I'm not sure if should walk away from this one.
my assumption is that actually the yearly depreciation of an old lexus would be pretty small comparing to the repair cost. the same model with same condition but one year older basically is only like 300 bucks cheaper. but a timing belt would cost like 1000? it might simply total the car if the engine or transmission breakdown...
so the best deals would be the ones doesn't need frequent repair. but how to find those ones would become a real problem.

btw I'm not in hurry, I would like to get as much information as possible before I make the move.
opinions from all aspects would be appreciated. thanks again!
Old 07-15-17, 01:54 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

From what you are saying it sounds like you should not run into too many major problems anytime soon. Fwiw, the GS300 is a very easy car to learn how to repair yourself if you want to and you can buy parts for the car very cheap. Maybe talk him down a few hundred because people are afraid of the mileage and buy it as a learning car and stash away your cash. Has less miles on it than my GS does at least.
Old 07-15-17, 02:37 PM
fenixnano
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Littleguy
From what you are saying it sounds like you should not run into too many major problems anytime soon. Fwiw, the GS300 is a very easy car to learn how to repair yourself if you want to and you can buy parts for the car very cheap. Maybe talk him down a few hundred because people are afraid of the mileage and buy it as a learning car and stash away your cash. Has less miles on it than my GS does at least.
LOL 322k is a lot!
have you replaced the lower ball joints?
Old 07-15-17, 02:58 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fenixnano
LOL 322k is a lot!
have you replaced the lower ball joints?
Yes, along with upper control arms. Both are pretty easy to do yourself with a socket set and a pitman arm puller. I paid $1200 for my car and have replaced: control arms, ball joints, o2 sensors, ignition coils, alternator, tps, and a few other things. The benefit of this car is that the 2jz leaves you a ton of room to work on stuff and everything is easily accessible which is why I think it's a good learning car. Check out 1aauto.com for cheap *** new parts.
Old 07-15-17, 03:25 PM
fenixnano
Driver School Candidate

Yes, along with upper control arms. Both are pretty easy to do yourself with a socket set and a pitman arm puller. I paid $1200 for my car and have replaced: control arms, ball joints, o2 sensors, ignition coils, alternator, tps, and a few other things. The benefit of this car is that the 2jz leaves you a ton of room to work on stuff and everything is easily accessible which is why I think it's a good learning car. Check out 1aauto.com for cheap *** new parts.
Thank you! sounds like still a few things to replace then LOL
what's the mileage when you bought it?

oh btw I just noticed you have a RX-7!! my friend got an RX-8 and it rocks
rotary engine are really awesome!!! the engine design is really cool and brilliant! such a pity there is only so few of them.
Old 07-15-17, 05:02 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

I got mine at 314K miles with 17 check engine light codes, lol. Even with all of the replacement stuff I am still less than $1700 total into the car, and everything works on it now so it's not as bad as it sounds. Thanks for the compliment on the RX-7, unfortunately mine contributes to there being so few rotaries as I put a V8 in it, hahaha.
Old 07-16-17, 06:20 PM
fenixnano
Driver School Candidate

I got mine at 314K miles with 17 check engine light codes, lol. Even with all of the replacement stuff I am still less than $1700 total into the car, and everything works on it now so it's not as bad as it sounds. Thanks for the compliment on the RX-7, unfortunately mine contributes to there being so few rotaries as I put a V8 in it, hahaha.
wow you are really good at mechanic stuff!

I haven't done anything more complicated than clean the carb in an old motorcycle... so I'm not very confident....

btw does GS400 have different or same design with GS300?
GS400 were only manufactured for like 3 years so not much information/instructions as GS300..
Old 07-16-17, 07:14 PM
suprababy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my gs430 had over 382k miles when my buddy bouh=ght it from me,he had it for another 3 years then he sold it,did not put any penny on it, it was all original and tranny and engine
The following users liked this post:
fenixnano (07-18-17)
Old 07-17-17, 05:47 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

There is nothing to worry about with a 2GS. As long as the timing belt has been changed you're good. I've had my TB/WP done at 120k and 220k, and the car drives like new. Currently have just over 225,000 miles. I changed the OEM spark plugs for the first time this year, at 223,418 miles. I will never sell or trade this car. If someone wanted to make me an offer, I would say save your breath it's not for sale.

Btw, the service history of the car you're thinking about purchasing looks amazing. It's certainly been well maintained. That's rare.
The following users liked this post:
fenixnano (07-18-17)
Old 07-18-17, 10:01 PM
fenixnano
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by suprababy
my gs430 had over 382k miles when my buddy bouh=ght it from me,he had it for another 3 years then he sold it,did not put any penny on it, it was all original and tranny and engine
lol that's a lot of mileage!
do you have any trick on maintenance?