GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Will these 18 inch rim tyre combo fit without rubbing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 02:19 AM
NLLex
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Question Will these 18 inch rim tyre combo fit without rubbing?

Hi Lexus fans,

I,m new here and ill make my introduction later because i,m quite in a hurry.

Still i,m driving on my Michelin alpine 5 winter tyres 225-60-16 on original wheels and it drives perfect. Very comfortable, smooth and silent. I really want to keep it that way and thats where my question comes from.

I found a set of Work eurolines in 18x9 +27 and 18x8 +15 for a very affordable price. My plan is to mount 225-55-18 tyres so i don't lose the comfort and silence because thats very important to me and still have a very deep dish because thats what i am looking for without the rubbing ofcourse!

Is it possible to fit this set without rolling the fenders? (i,m a bit scarred about the rust after rolling the fenders) And if i roll the fenders, will the measures and fitment on the front be acceptable? And is it maybe possible to go even wider with rolled fenders?

My car is not lowered and i,m not planning to do that for now. (My future second car Lexus LS430 will be when i find the right one )

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=225-60-16X7.5ET45&wheel2=225-55-18X10ET40&fcl=10mm&scl=50mm&wcl=-5mm&sr=0mm
I have tweaked the calculator for many hours and have read many posts but i really cant find the right answer. I hope you guys can help me out.

Many thanks!

Last edited by NLLex; 07-15-17 at 01:47 AM.
Old 07-14-17, 03:22 PM
Noosik
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its little to high profile, 225/55/16" or 215/60/16" is OK and on 18" rims it`s about 225-235/45/18" or something like this
Old 07-14-17, 08:12 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

1. Your wheels don't have very deep dish with those specs, so already that mark is missed
2. Your tire sizes are too tall by over 2", not even close to correct. If it fits at all (I'm certain it will end up rubbing), it will look hilarious.
3. Yes your wheels will fit without any fender modifications, assuming you use the correct tire sizes. Not only are the specs quite mild, but you have a ton of wheel gap at stock height.

The correct tire sizes for 18" on this car are 235/40 or 245/40. If you're concerned about comfort and silence, first of all, getting bigger wheels is automatically going to mean losing some. But 235/40 or 245/40 is not particularly low profile and with stock suspension and quality tires the ride will not be unduly harsh. If you find that it is, you should get an SUV or a long wheelbase luxury car like the LS you're looking at instead of a sports sedan. I know from experience that the ride you're experiencing on 225/60 is more boat-like than car-like, so it's not at all a reasonable expectation to retain it when upsizing 2". 18" is an excellent wheel size for the midpoint between larger wheels for aesthetics and a reasonably comfortable sporty ride.

Lastly, the wheel and tire calculator you linked to shows you that the sizes you chose are way off and the topics of 18" tire sizes and how they affect ride quality have been covered ad infinitum on this forum in multiple threads, including a dedicated wheel fitment thread and a dedicated 18" wheel thread.
Old 07-16-17, 10:13 AM
NLLex
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Noosik
Its little to high profile, 225/55/16" or 215/60/16" is OK and on 18" rims it`s about 225-235/45/18" or something like this
ok got it.

Originally Posted by firelizard
1. Your wheels don't have very deep dish with those specs, so already that mark is missed
2. Your tire sizes are too tall by over 2", not even close to correct. If it fits at all (I'm certain it will end up rubbing), it will look hilarious.
3. Yes your wheels will fit without any fender modifications, assuming you use the correct tire sizes. Not only are the specs quite mild, but you have a ton of wheel gap at stock height.
The correct tire sizes for 18" on this car are 235/40 or 245/40. If you're concerned about comfort and silence, first of all, getting bigger wheels is automatically going to mean losing some. But 235/40 or 245/40 is not particularly low profile and with stock suspension and quality tires the ride will not be unduly harsh. If you find that it is, you should get an SUV or a long wheelbase luxury car like the LS you're looking at instead of a sports sedan. I know from experience that the ride you're experiencing on 225/60 is more boat-like than car-like, so it's not at all a reasonable expectation to retain it when upsizing 2". 18" is an excellent wheel size for the midpoint between larger wheels for aesthetics and a reasonably comfortable sporty ride.

Lastly, the wheel and tire calculator you linked to shows you that the sizes you chose are way off and the topics of 18" tire sizes and how they affect ride quality have been covered ad infinitum on this forum in multiple threads, including a dedicated wheel fitment thread and a dedicated 18" wheel thread.
Well good to know that this isn't really to deep. Can you please confirm again just to make sure?

Check this picture out for example:https://a.d-cd.net/a35656as-960.jpg https://a.d-cd.net/b3bca1cs-960.jpg

These are the only 225-55-18 pictures i could find. There are no pictures of stretched wide rims with these tyres…..
My idea was to have maximum comfort + a nice rim like i said before and when i take it a bit more wide, it will be stretched and i really like that look. Don't forget, its not a show car and comfort is way more important then looks.

I am willing to pay anything for the best rubber and for now i am always driving on Michelins but if you or another member has some other suggestion, please let me know. I,m still quite new with Lexus and i,m here to get a good advise!

About the wheelgap? Am i not taking the wheelgap away with my balloontyre-idea? And is there maybe a middleway? 225-50-18 for example?
I,m afraid that the 235-245 will make way more roadnoise and i absolutely dont want that.

https://super86.files.wordpress.com/...611-220415.jpg
This is the look what i am looking for despite it isnt an 18 inch but I mean the style.

I have already searched for many hundreds of hours for the right LS over here in Europe but a President + sunroof with a decent milage in a proper condition is very hard to find and just buy an old LS430 just as a daily first car isn't really possible. We pay extreme taxes on kilograms and this 1640KG Lexus is considered already as a big heavy car overhere!

I,m glad that you experienced the balloontyres i ride in now for yourself. What would you suggest if i really want to keep the comfort that way or maybe the closest i can get together with these 18 inc rimms? I have made some real serious thinking about what you said and my thoughts are keep comming back on 225-50-18. Will that maybe fit with those Eurolines without rubbing?

About the halarious part:
https://tyrestretch.com/10.5-225-50-R18/

These wheels are even wider but i really dont think its hilarious. I just want to take advantage of the fact that i really dont bother a speedometer whats 10% incorrect, or a bit more ride hight and that there are no rules in this country on wheelsize and tyres. Thats really different in some other countries over here! Just want the best of both worlds…..

Last edited by NLLex; 07-16-17 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-16-17, 12:02 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

It sounds like you're going to do what you want regardless of what is said here. You know the dimensions, and you think it will look good despite people saying it won't. Taste is subjective. Not much else to add.

The reason you can't find photos of what you want is because people don't do it, for the aforementioned reasons. The last photo you posted is of a shorter tire and a 1.5" wider wheel so it's not at all what you are looking at for your own. And frankly it still doesn't look very good. The picture of the 15" wheel should explain to you why. It looks good there because the proportion is completely different, also the wheels are very deep and again much wider, so the specifications you have chosen for your wheels and your tires are completely different. The Equip CR-01 is also an old-school wheel designed for when cars had small wheels and larger tire profiles. The Euroline DH is designed to look good with low profile tires.

Your best option would be to simply get 16 or 17 inch wheels if you want to run big comfortable tires at stock height.

The best of both worlds is the 235/45-17 on 17x8 +35 combination that Lexus/Toyota selected for the car.

Last edited by firelizard; 07-16-17 at 12:13 PM.