GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

After market HID kit question for non-hid housing

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-16, 09:26 AM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default After market HID kit question for non-hid housing

My GS300 has non-hid's and was hoping you could point me in the right direction for which HID kit I needed. I read through some posts and I couldn't find the information I was looking for, any help would be greatly appreciated. I understand I need a 9005 hid kit but do I require the can-bus kit or the standard kit? What is a can-bus unit anyway? what is the difference in 35w and 55w kits? Are these kits plug and play? Do I require the optional relay that vendors like DDM tuning offer?

Does this 9005 kit work for me? $35 seems way too cheap... these guys are actually local to me and accept local pick up so I wanted to be sure to get the right kit.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W
Old 07-29-16, 11:57 AM
Dangit2001
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveSeven
My GS300 has non-hid's and was hoping you could point me in the right direction for which HID kit I needed. I read through some posts and I couldn't find the information I was looking for, any help would be greatly appreciated. I understand I need a 9005 hid kit but do I require the can-bus kit or the standard kit? What is a can-bus unit anyway? what is the difference in 35w and 55w kits? Are these kits plug and play? Do I require the optional relay that vendors like DDM tuning offer?

Does this 9005 kit work for me? $35 seems way too cheap... these guys are actually local to me and accept local pick up so I wanted to be sure to get the right kit.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W
Your not going to need a can bus kit. Can bus kit prevent you from getting error/light out codes. You will need to replace your housing or swap out the halogen reflector with a HID one. If you don't than you will be blinding everyone in front of you and you won't get that cut off line. Usually when you use a high wattage ballast, the color washes off towards a lower temperature. The higher the wattage the lower the temperature color will show.
Old 07-29-16, 01:56 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

9005 is the inner lamps, your high beams. Outers are 9006. DDM kits are cheap because they're mass produced in China with ______ brand stickers and boxesThese cars don't use a CAN-BUS system. 35W and 55W differ only in output, like with home light bulbs but as Dangit says, there is less colour difference. Your output is going to be ****, either way, even if you had expensive Philips hardware. There is no right kit for HIDs in reflector housings because it's the wrong way to do it. Hit up HID Planet or your favourite HID retrofit supplier and do it properly with projectors, or install the factory HID system.

Last edited by firelizard; 07-29-16 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-29-16, 02:08 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

i have used about 10 ddm kits over the past almost 10 years and have never had an issue, if i do i drive over and get a replacement

and i use the cheapest kit they have in 35w-i have had them in non hid housings but a correct bowel or projector kit is preferred, hence why i got ls430 retro

op you need to to google alot of this a research
Old 07-31-16, 06:40 PM
nelson09
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been using ddm forever also no issues plus they're local to us. dont forget to get the hid kit for your foggs. Light output is so poor even with factory hid in these cars that I noticed visibility doubled if not better when I installed the hid in the foggs. Always wondered why 1st gen had projectors then they went back in time and did away with them for the 2nd gen
Old 07-31-16, 08:11 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

There are also a few retrofit mods shown on here as an alternate choice.
Old 08-01-16, 07:19 AM
firelizard

Originally Posted by nelson09
I've been using ddm forever also no issues plus they're local to us. dont forget to get the hid kit for your foggs. Light output is so poor even with factory hid in these cars that I noticed visibility doubled if not better when I installed the hid in the foggs. Always wondered why 1st gen had projectors then they went back in time and did away with them for the 2nd gen
You think your output is better because the fogs light up the ground in front of your car indiscriminately, so you see the light. It also reflect light off the ground into peoples eyes. Your headlights are supposed to light things ahead of you so that you can avoid them, not things that you're already about to drive over.
But also yes, the factory HID are very outdated in terms of beam pattern.
Old 08-01-16, 12:25 PM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by firelizard
You think your output is better because the fogs light up the ground in front of your car indiscriminately, so you see the light. It also reflect light off the ground into peoples eyes. Your headlights are supposed to light things ahead of you so that you can avoid them, not things that you're already about to drive over.
Huh? I do not think the beam pattern of headlights have changed much since the 70s.
Output is a whole other story. Big change when Porsche started using HID and again when Cadillac started LED.

AFA the "fogs" are concerned, I do not understand what Toyota was going for. You cannot turn them on without your lows on and the beam pattern should look like a stubby version of your head lights. I forget what they looked like with OEM housings and bulbs, but it was not great.
Old 08-01-16, 12:39 PM
nelson09
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by firelizard
all I know is I can see potholes before it's too late now since I converted the fogs to HID. I can see things that weren't visible before lol.
Old 08-01-16, 12:48 PM
Ava92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nelson09
Always wondered why 1st gen had projectors then they went back in time and did away with them for the 2nd gen
Got to agree there, very strange move, same deal on the R33->R34
Old 08-01-16, 10:25 PM
firelizard

Originally Posted by AmanO
Huh? I do not think the beam pattern of headlights have changed much since the 70s.
They absolutely have. Xenon projector and now LED headlights have a razor sharp cutoff that reflector headlights struggle to approximate. The factory headlights on the GS were okay at best and downright awful when they start to get cloudy like 90% of them are.

Last edited by firelizard; 08-01-16 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-04-16, 10:40 AM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Has anyone tried this aftermarket LED kits?

https://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Headligh...words=led+9006

Last edited by FiveSeven; 08-04-16 at 10:45 AM.