ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005-184/)
-   -   Omg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/813349-omg.html)

colinodon 02-18-16 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by sakataj (Post 9370443)
no intake elbow needed, unlike the Greddy kit it just used the factory intake elbow OR you coul fabricate a elbow to make a intake but thats not really a big deal, hoses and fittings are also easy to acquire and i dont believe this particular kit needed any brackets unlike the RMM kit and what not but yes NOT worth 75hp. NOW with headers/intake/exhaust you could easily see 100+ hp even more with cams/etc

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...SC430/p1-8.jpg

A vvt 1uzfe can make 100 hp gain with header intake exhaust? When did we get chevy engines?

kamlung 02-18-16 08:28 AM

the 100hp is from the 75hp from the blower and 25hp for I/H/E... you won't get 100hp just from IHE

colinodon 02-18-16 09:42 AM

Ok well that sounds more reasonable. Im suprised they made such old inefficient dinosaur power adders for the gs400. Is 50% more power from like a tt kit or sc kit too much to ask?

firelizard 02-18-16 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by sakataj (Post 9370113)
yeah i saw several of the SC members mention that... firelizard, keep in mind,NEW this kit was $10k-13k and although that seems like a fortune it was aimed at older people who still wanted some extra power and to keep their reliability when buying a NEW SC430 which was super high when they came out also, these people were probably not sweating $10-$13k. NOWADAYS they just arent worth much to have because they just dont make the power for the price

The key is reliable power. All day, every day, factory option style. That's what Tom's was about. So you're bang on about the target market. And keep in mind, a GS430 was 40-50k? out the door, from the dealership, and the LS and SC were what, 60-80k? So 10k for nearly 100hp extra is nothin', you're right they weren't sweating it. I see dyno results of GS430s putting 235-250 to the wheels, stock, on a good day. If that dyno plot (can't vouch for accuracy) is for real, that's a huge gain.

The RMM kit was 6,500 bucks when it was released for the 1UZ, 90hp to the wheels gained. Considering it was a domestic product, using a centrifugal Vortec unit, instead of a twin screw with a custom housing, the price difference makes sense. You have to consider how much more expensive it is to design, test, and cast a housing like that. Even the beast-mode SRT kit is a Whipple charger adapted to the GS430.

Nowadays, $2,500USD for a bolt-on 100ish hp gain to the wheels is a flippin' bargain. Maybe you can buy some parts for less, but once you add up the missing bits and pieces, and the custom fabrication, it's going to cost as much or more. What I'd be worried about with this Tom's unit though, is maintenance. The kit is unobtanium already, I can only imagine what it would be like trying to replace that slick electromagnetically clutched pulley if the bearings kick the bucket, or any other part needs to be replaced.

@colinodon: No, you could see 50% gains from forced induction, but you'll pay through the nose for it. There's no cheap way to do it. SRT claims 500whp on stock internals, but that was $10,000 kit, with upgraded fueling, a huge air-water intercooler, and stand-alone engine management.

sakataj 02-19-16 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by colinodon (Post 9371648)
A vvt 1uzfe can make 100 hp gain with header intake exhaust? When did we get chevy engines?

WEL, your reading skills are up to par i see, first off i said WITH the supercharger, intake,exhuats and headers AND were talking about the 3UZFE not the 1UZFE even though they are internally very similar

Originally Posted by firelizard (Post 9372512)
The key is reliable power. All day, every day, factory option style. That's what Tom's was about. So you're bang on about the target market. And keep in mind, a GS430 was 40-50k? out the door, from the dealership, and the LS and SC were what, 60-80k? So 10k for nearly 100hp extra is nothin', you're right they weren't sweating it. I see dyno results of GS430s putting 235-250 to the wheels, stock, on a good day. If that dyno plot (can't vouch for accuracy) is for real, that's a huge gain.

The RMM kit was 6,500 bucks when it was released for the 1UZ, 90hp to the wheels gained. Considering it was a domestic product, using a centrifugal Vortec unit, instead of a twin screw with a custom housing, the price difference makes sense. You have to consider how much more expensive it is to design, test, and cast a housing like that. Even the beast-mode SRT kit is a Whipple charger adapted to the GS430.

Nowadays, $2,500USD for a bolt-on 100ish hp gain to the wheels is a flippin' bargain. Maybe you can buy some parts for less, but once you add up the missing bits and pieces, and the custom fabrication, it's going to cost as much or more. What I'd be worried about with this Tom's unit though, is maintenance. The kit is unobtanium already, I can only imagine what it would be like trying to replace that slick electromagnetically clutched pulley if the bearings kick the bucket, or any other part needs to be replaced.

@colinodon: No, you could see 50% gains from forced induction, but you'll pay through the nose for it. There's no cheap way to do it. SRT claims 500whp on stock internals, but that was $10,000 kit, with upgraded fueling, a huge air-water intercooler, and stand-alone engine management.

some rich hedgefund manager doesnt mind $10k to make 70hp but to me $2500 plus a install if you dont do it yourself ($1000 i would say is reasonable) isnt worth just making 100 hp (i already have intake,headers,exhaust) for $3500 im almost at the price of putting in a LS2 which can easily make more power than that