GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

For those with the UGO Katayama Roof Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-03, 04:23 PM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those with the UGO Katayama Roof Spoiler

Hey all, just received confirmation from Steve Ganz at Carson that the UGO roof spoilers are in and I am gettin mine next week.

For those of you that have it installed already, what do you need to do to install it? I heard that 2 sided tape is the way it is installed but can someone go into some detail about the installation and confirm if this is correct, if not, how is it installed? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-11-03, 07:44 PM
RAristo
Lead Lap

Yes, use 3M industrial strength double-side tapes. It should hold up pretty good. I have mine for years.
Old 04-12-03, 02:26 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And make sure you mount it correctly...

Last edited by Manaray; 04-12-03 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-12-03, 07:34 AM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

Manaray, it looks like in your pictures that the spoiler is mounted above the rear window, more on the roof of the car and the end part of the spoiler just goes just over the rear window. Is that correct? I was a bit more under the impression that it is mounted at the beginning of the rear window and sits over it.
Old 04-12-03, 09:00 AM
RAristo
Lead Lap

Since there is no real instruction on where you mount the spoiler, the name "roof spoiler" kind of give it away. I put it at the rear window because I was new to the Lexus but if you asked me to do again, I would put it on the roof. Just my 2cents.
Old 04-12-03, 02:20 PM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Thanks RAristo. Did you put the double sided tape around the whole spoiler or just on the sides? If it is on the roof, wouldn't you need to put that tape on the roof itself too? What would happen if you wanted to remove it at some point?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid but, I just want to make sure I don't screw something up and at the same time, I sure don't want to lose the spoiler on the highway.
Old 04-12-03, 02:43 PM
RAristo
Lead Lap

I put the tapes around the area where it will make contact to the surface (whether it's the roof or glass). I don't think you need to put tapes on the roof because that's why we use double tapes. It's sticky on both sides. I don't have any experience on removing such parts but I would not suggest you to go ahead and use force to take it off. Perhaps you could use the hair dryer and process as you were removing the emblem. As long as you use industrial strength tape, you shouldn't worry about losing it on freeway. Like I said, I've had the roof spoiler for 2 years and I drive a lot of freeway everyday, thru sunny or storm. Don't use the duck tape you buy from the stationary store.
Old 04-12-03, 09:12 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Ah Damn Manaray,

Steve told me that there was one other person in the L.A. area with the carbon fiber room spoiler.
Old 04-12-03, 09:55 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

FYI, the UGo roof spoiler comes with 3M double sided tape already.... You'll have to cut the lengths you want to use.. I can't remember how much I used but I pretty much did the whole perimeter of the spoiler.. And it worked out great, I think if I tried to take it off right now the paint would come off with it... As far as putting the roof spoiler on the window, the L-Sport and some other companies mount on the rear window but the UGO mounts on the roof right where the window and roof meet... If you wanted on on the rear window you should have went with the L-Sport... But IMO the UGO is by far the better piece... Congrats on the new part too... I have Steve holding a couple for me as well mine has a nasty chip and crack in it so I'm gonna replace it and hold onto the other one..... But also the install of the roof spoiler is really easy, I put mine on myself with no help...
Old 04-12-03, 10:32 PM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info MrSypher. I am really glad that I got the UGO. I was not to crazy about the L-Sport one. It just didn't stand out as much as the UGO. I was just checking to see how and where to mount it properly. I only saw some pictures of the spoiler, I think Manaray's in particular, and they were a ways away so you could not see approximately where the spoiler was mounted. The pictures that he posted here were up close and I actually saw where it was mounted up close and that is where the question came up.

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys. I greatly appreciate it. Should be getting it sometime next week, Damn I can't wait.
Old 04-13-03, 01:41 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The spoiler should be mounted on the ROOF (on the paint). The double sided tape should be installed in two rectangular sections. There is a "channel" down the middle (on the bottom), that is basically the "break" between the two rectagular sections. Just put the tape like 1/16" inward (so it's not "right on" the edge) ...eh, screw it...here's a graphic I did for everyone's benefit...

As for location, it should be installed just above the trim on the top of the rear window. You'll see what I mean when you "test" place it there...it will fit between the "side rails" PERFECTLY. Take my word for it...
Attached Thumbnails For those with the UGO Katayama Roof Spoiler-ugoroofspoilerinstall.jpg  
Old 04-13-03, 05:46 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i ordered from steve as well . are the ones he got in the carbon fiber version only because i was under the impression from steve it was the paintable version
Old 04-13-03, 08:46 AM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Manaray, thanks for the illustration that was a big help.

lexforlife-The way I understood it from Steve was he got the paintable ones in at the end of last week. That is what I ordered and have coming to me.

Thanks again everyone
Old 04-13-03, 08:55 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

thanks man i thought for the earlier posting it was the carbon fiber one for almost $600 , that i could do without for i have 2 of these coming from steve as well
Old 06-23-03, 06:57 PM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manaray did you push the spoiler forward until the side molding on the car hits the ends of the spoiler? Or should I just line up the bottom edge of the spoiler with the very edge of the window?

Quick Reply: For those with the UGO Katayama Roof Spoiler