GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Different tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-14, 11:55 PM
Danny365N
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different tail lights?

So I bought my GS almost 2 months ago and just realized after seeing others, my tail lights are different and all red. I've seen others with the orange & clear but not these.
Does anybody know what kind of tail lights these are?
Old 06-06-14, 12:02 AM
offbad
Lead Lap

someone might have just put red film on it
Old 06-06-14, 12:38 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like someone painted red the middle bar of the 98-00 tailights.
Old 06-06-14, 12:55 AM
Ava92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol wow you never noticed any problems with your red reverse? I have that on my other car and it's always giving me headaches when people don't know i need to back up
Old 06-06-14, 01:50 AM
Danny365N
Pole Position

Thanks! There was only one owner before me so maybe I could track him down again and ask.

No Ava, I haven't noticed or had any trouble with my red reverse! Now I'm really curious to check on that first in the morning.
Old 06-06-14, 09:08 AM
nelson09
Lead Lap

Just slap an LED reverse bulb in there and you're blue(ish) bulb through the red lense will be purplish. I redded out my tails too and that's what I'm running. Got tired of throwing on the hazards whenever I go to reverse. Redded out tails look best to me. No amber, no clear just all red =) congrats on the new ride!
Old 06-06-14, 09:38 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nelson09
Just slap an LED reverse bulb in there and you're blue(ish) bulb through the red lense will be purplish. I redded out my tails too and that's what I'm running. Got tired of throwing on the hazards whenever I go to reverse. Redded out tails look best to me. No amber, no clear just all red =) congrats on the new ride!
this sounds ridiculously retarded.

sure you might think it looks good but theres a reason why everyone should have clear for their reverse. its to signal to other drivers that youre reversing.
Old 06-06-14, 11:26 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely 98-00 Tails with the red-out film or sprayed. Looks great, simple, low cost, effective mod. Definitely look into your reverse lights to see what color they shine.
Old 06-06-14, 11:56 AM
nelson09
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by marshun
this sounds ridiculously retarded.

sure you might think it looks good but theres a reason why everyone should have clear for their reverse. its to signal to other drivers that youre reversing.
its more functional and looks better than u seem to think it sounds bud.
LEDs are way brighter than OEM dingy "clear" bulbs - even through transparent red film or paint.
LED lights being as bright as they are it'd be pretty hard even for a retard to mistake what's going on when they pop on.
OP, give the LEDs a try, much better alternative to reverse lights that look like brakes =)

Last edited by nelson09; 06-06-14 at 12:31 PM. Reason: contribution
Old 06-06-14, 01:20 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

LEDs are way brighter than OEM dingy "clear" bulbs - even through transparent red film or paint.
LED lights being as bright as they are it'd be pretty hard even for a retard to mistake what's going on when they pop on.
OP, give the LEDs a try, much better alternative to reverse lights that look like brakes =)
The retard reference wasn't necessary dude...
Old 06-06-14, 04:01 PM
nelson09
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by marshun
this sounds ridiculously retarded. .
Originally Posted by SicilyGS4
The retard reference wasn't necessary dude...
I agree, esp being that my dad has taught special education since 1978 I know better. And as the saying goes "two wrongs don't make a right"
* my apologies to anyone out there my rebuttal may have offended.
So, OP, apologies for your thread getting crapped on. Again, congrats on the new car. I posted a solution to your issue a few posts back.
Old 06-06-14, 09:54 PM
Danny365N
Pole Position

Appreciated and they seem painted after closely inspecting them. Painted pretty damn well if you ask me, I didn't notice until now. I will try out your LED light solution nelson09, but I'm still yet to check if the reverse brake light is red. I'm sure it is though if it is for you guys.
I like the all red look also. The ones with the clear strip on the bottom aren't bad either.
Thanks everybody, I really love the car.
Old 06-07-14, 01:18 AM
Danny365N
Pole Position

So I had a friend look at it while I put the car in reverse and according to him the light has a reddish tint to it. He also says it's obvious it's in reverse and shouldn't effect other people knowing I'm backing out. I think next time I go to put bulbs I'll try that blue or maybe even white LED idea Nelson recommended.
What do you guys think of the JDM lights that are LED? (clear bottom ones?)
Old 06-07-14, 08:25 AM
josey88
Driver

Painting the rear lenses can be dangerous by restricting visibility , specially if you are obstructing the reverse lights .
The rear lenses on my 2000 GS400 were replaced with 2001 lenses . They look great and are beautiful . That orange line placed across the center of the lenses on the 2000 and 1999 models is without question , ugly .

Last edited by josey88; 06-07-14 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-07-14, 03:17 PM
Danny365N
Pole Position

Originally Posted by josey88
Painting the rear lenses can be dangerous by restricting visibility , specially if you are obstructing the reverse lights .
The rear lenses on my 2000 GS400 were replaced with 2001 lenses . They look great and are beautiful . That orange line placed across the center of the lenses on the 2000 and 1999 models is without question , ugly .
I don't think I'll have trouble with it. I make sure to look before I back out.
Those are cool though. I think the bar on bottom looks much better.
I like this style best

Quick Reply: Different tail lights?