GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

AutoStart installed major problems

Old 01-09-14, 09:30 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default AutoStart installed problems FIXED!

Just got my auto start installed (codeAlarm) first night I had it my lights kept turning on by themselves at night with the switch in the off position, my seat heater light would stay on with the keys out of the ignition and so would the footwell light, had to disconnect the battery, last night all was good with the headlights in the auto position, start the car today before work, get in and my oil light is on my e brake light and my gas light is flashing, the car will not go into drive without shift release, the fob on the autostart is not unlocking or locking my doors, my option for the heat will not let me press any button, defroster physical buttons, nothing, pulled over restarted the car all the dash lights are gone instantly, the place that installed it said they never had that problem ever... My car did weird stuff like this when I bought it and I replaced the battery and all was well 9/11 is when I bought this battery, is this battery bad also? I checked it out it's reading 12.5 on the machine which is a good battery, is my computer in the car messed up maybe when I bought it? It's driving me nuts, should I buy a new battery or just get the autostart UNinstalled, also when I put the center dome light to the door position, it flashes on and off with the door closed.. Bad computer maybe?

FIXED FIXED FIXED FIXED FIXED FIXED FIXED FIXED

Went out to install the battery and grabbed the negative terminal, it split right in half with very very little force, cracked right in half as I went to put it on the negative terminal, after swearing a bit and taking a nap for the night, I went back to autozone, got a brand new terminal, put it on, tightened it down to the new battery and went to test: alarm did not go off, key fob responds, heat and a.c is back, no flashing gas light, all windows work, voila! Instantly everything came back like I didn't have the problems at all, got my baby back... : )

Last edited by DosyBoy; 01-13-14 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-09-14, 09:40 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never heard of that brand before. Do you recall how long it took for the shop to install it? The reason I ask is that our electrical system and wiring is notoriously difficult and was just wondering if they did correctly. I recall my Viper alarm/remote start took over four hours and my sound system took the entire day.
Old 01-09-14, 09:44 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Dam bro. I hope your problem is resolved.. Sounds like you should've just got it done at Lexus to avoid the problems.... My guy got it done at Lexus for his RX jeep and they installed onto his key and everything. Never given him problems.. Maybe you should consider it if anything. Good luck!!!
Old 01-09-14, 09:44 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
I never heard of that brand before. Do you recall how long it took for the shop to install it? The reason I ask is that our electrical system and wiring is notoriously difficult and was just wondering if they did correctly. I recall my Viper alarm/remote start took over four hours and my sound system took the entire day.
It took him over four hours and he said my car was a extreme pain in the *** to work on, I think it gotta go, I'd rather have a working car than autostart, I need a name brand, no wonder they were running a special, but I bought the better one it was only $300 installed..
Old 01-09-14, 09:46 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
Dam bro. I hope your problem is resolved.. Sounds like you should've just got it done at Lexus to avoid the problems.... My guy got it done at Lexus for his RX jeep and they installed onto his key and everything. Never given him problems.. Maybe you should consider it if anything. Good luck!!!
Really? I didn't even know that was an option for lexus to install autostart?
Old 01-09-14, 09:55 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

I just called them I'm taking it out and getting a refund, called lexus they do them for $595 installed and it's a lexus brand, aftermarket is not the way to go on these cars...then I was thinking about my dome light flashing for no reason when driving and thought maybe my ignition switch is bad but Lexus told me he doesent think that's the problem?
Old 01-09-14, 09:56 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FlockoV8
Really? I didn't even know that was an option for lexus to install autostart?
It is!! Maybe a lil more expensive for our cars but the reliability and assurance is sure worth the trouble. Call your local Lexus dealer, get on they're good side, and talk em down to a reasonable price. See what you can get outta them. Only thing expensive about it is that you might need to get a new key for the actual alarm system. There's a key they specifically sell for that. That's what my guy told me. he has an 06 RX jeep. His works from a mile away. Great quality he said. Has had it for 2 years with no problems at all.
Old 01-09-14, 10:01 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

I just called them I'm taking it out and getting a refund, called lexus they do them for $595 installed and it's a lexus brand, aftermarket is not the way to go on these cars...
My Viper remote start has been installed in my car for seven years and it came out of my previous GS after it was totaled. NO issues with it whatsoever.
Old 01-09-14, 10:04 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Just got my auto start installed (codeAlarm) first night I had it my lights kept turning on by themselves at night with the switch in the off position, my seat heater light would stay on with the keys out of the ignition and so would the footwell light, had to disconnect the battery, last night all was good with the headlights in the auto position, start the car today before work, get in and my oil light is on my e brake light and my gas light is flashing, the car will not go into drive without shift release, the fob on the autostart is not unlocking or locking my doors, my option for the heat will not let me press any button, defroster physical buttons, nothing, pulled over restarted the car all the dash lights are gone instantly, the place that installed it said they never had that problem ever... My car did weird stuff like this when I bought it and I replaced the battery and all was well 9/11 is when I bought this battery, is this battery bad also? I checked it out it's reading 12.5 on the machine which is a good battery, is my computer in the car messed up maybe when I bought it? It's driving me nuts, should I buy a new battery or just get the autostart UNinstalled, also when I put the center dome light to the door position, it flashes on and off with the door closed.. Bad computer maybe?
I think either you or whomever installed it just fried the computer. I know from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. I had BestBuy install an auto start alarm in my old Q45...drove it for a little bit and all hell broke loose. My dash was lit like a X-mas tree. AC wouldn't work, shifting was crazy, along with other electrical issues. Needless to say, I took it back to BestBuy the next day demand for the idiots who destroyed my car to show themselves. I asked for a manager and told them I'm talking the car to Tulsa Infiniti and they are footing the bill, no negotiation. I told them if they didn't know what they were doing, they should've left my car alone. Long story short, they fried the computer with their install. I got a new computer and wires and car ran back like new...That incident cost them a lot of money because they had to foot my rental too.
Old 01-09-14, 10:26 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I just called them I'm taking it out and getting a refund, called lexus they do them for $595 installed and it's a lexus brand, aftermarket is not the way to go on these cars...then I was thinking about my dome light flashing for no reason when driving and thought maybe my ignition switch is bad but Lexus told me he doesent think that's the problem?
What dealer did you call about the remote start?

CEO
Old 01-09-14, 10:38 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
I think either you or whomever installed it just fried the computer. I know from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. I had BestBuy install an auto start alarm in my old Q45...drove it for a little bit and all hell broke loose. My dash was lit like a X-mas tree. AC wouldn't work, shifting was crazy, along with other electrical issues. Needless to say, I took it back to BestBuy the next day demand for the idiots who destroyed my car to show themselves. I asked for a manager and told them I'm talking the car to Tulsa Infiniti and they are footing the bill, no negotiation. I told them if they didn't know what they were doing, they should've left my car alone. Long story short, they fried the computer with their install. I got a new computer and wires and car ran back like new...That incident cost them a lot of money because they had to foot my rental too.
A bad ecu would trigger a check engine light right?
Old 01-09-14, 10:39 AM
mexikan
Driver

VIPER is the only way to go... had it on a my other cars for more than 10 years no problems at all....
Old 01-09-14, 10:45 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Just went out to the car wanted to reset the system, so I popped the hood, alarm is going off, will not turn off with my factory keyfob, I took the negative terminal off, WTF!!!!!!
Old 01-09-14, 10:46 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

A bad ecu would trigger a check engine light right?
yeah it will. The computer is the brain of the car so if it isn't working correctly, it can trigger all types of silly things. Like I said, your situation sounds very similar to mine. Everything was working, installed Viper auto start, then all hell broke loose. They uninstalled everything, but the problems were still there because the damage has been done. You BETTER not leave without having it in writing that these problems started after they installed the equipment. Once you leave, you foot the bill for everything. They have insurance for these types of things.
Old 01-09-14, 10:48 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Just went out to the car wanted to reset the system, so I popped the hood, alarm is going off, will not turn off with my factory keyfob, I took the negative terminal off, WTF!!!!!!
I would go back raising hell. Go there with a no nonsense state of mind and immediately ask to speak to a manager. The longer you keep the the longer the possibility that YOU SCREWED it up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AutoStart installed major problems