GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS430 retrofit project

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-13, 07:48 AM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
I know it's a little late in the game to ask, but I'm guessing they still wouldn't pass you even if you adjusted the headlight beam angles?
Why do you think so?

I've been working on these this day and I'm more and more confident that I'll just buy the original headlights.
These projectors seem to be impossible to fit in those headlights.

If I don't put the original chrome bezel in the backgroung it'll be too far back and I can't close the cap what's behind the xenon bulb connector. This setup would otherwise be perfect and less work would go into it.
If I put it there it'll be too far in front and It'll just look stupid because it shows the brackets when looking from top or side.

I'm loosing my nerves and patience with this project.
I've cursed alot today.
Old 05-11-13, 11:16 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Lutkis
Why do you think so?
Why? Because adjusting them takes only a few minutes, and you could've been driving by now...?
Old 05-11-13, 04:50 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Why? Because adjusting them takes only a few minutes, and you could've been driving by now...?

Yeah.. Obviously you didn't understand what I was saying. Or didn't read what I said.

I have to change the whole light pattern to fit in our country. If you really read the post that I posted earlier you maybe understand it.

Last edited by Lutkis; 05-11-13 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-11-13, 05:06 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Yeah.. Obviously you didn't understand what I was saying. Or didn't read what I said.
Lutkis, a simple "yes" or "no" would've sufficed as opposed to trying to ridicule my reading abilities.
Old 05-12-13, 06:10 AM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Lutkis, a simple "yes" or "no" would've sufficed as opposed to trying to ridicule my reading abilities.
Sorry.
But now you did get it though? It's got nothing to do about adjusting the headlight beam.
Old 05-13-13, 04:02 AM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Are the GS300 headlights the same as the GS430's?
So basically can I replace my original headlights with GS300 headlights?
Old 05-13-13, 07:39 AM
71eight
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great work , whats next
Old 05-13-13, 11:04 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Are the GS300 headlights the same as the GS430's?
So basically can I replace my original headlights with GS300 headlights?
maybe its time you go do some reading since you want to criticize people for not reading. this has been covered hundreds of times

and before you "drink the kool aid" of what other people who dont know anything are preaching double/triple check the info

all the gs headlights are the same but not all gs headlights are the same (you should understand this after you do a little reading)

Last edited by sakataj; 05-13-13 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-13-13, 02:36 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Why do you think so?

I've been working on these this day and I'm more and more confident that I'll just buy the original headlights.
These projectors seem to be impossible to fit in those headlights.

If I don't put the original chrome bezel in the backgroung it'll be too far back and I can't close the cap what's behind the xenon bulb connector. This setup would otherwise be perfect and less work would go into it.
If I put it there it'll be too far in front and It'll just look stupid because it shows the brackets when looking from top or side.

I'm loosing my nerves and patience with this project.
I've cursed alot today.
You have to trim the chrome turn signal shroud no matter what. If the bulb holder sticks out of the back you can extend the cap with some PVC pipe. There's plenty of space behind the headlight to make it work. Can you take the projector apart and flip the shield so it's correct for right hand drive? If not, Morimoto projectors can be purchased with a RHD shield so the cutoff is correct. Those are super easy to install too.
Old 05-13-13, 10:34 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
maybe its time you go do some reading since you want to criticize people for not reading. this has been covered hundreds of times

and before you "drink the kool aid" of what other people who dont know anything are preaching double/triple check the info

all the gs headlights are the same but not all gs headlights are the same (you should understand this after you do a little reading)
I think it's a little different to search through the internet for something like this than to read what is the main idea of this topic (there aren't so many posts from me and it says right in the first post why I'm doing this project). I was already in a bad/wrong mood before answering and I did say sorry to ThomasGS4.

Thanks for the answer though even if it wasn't a straight answer.

Originally Posted by chrispy
You have to trim the chrome turn signal shroud no matter what. If the bulb holder sticks out of the back you can extend the cap with some PVC pipe. There's plenty of space behind the headlight to make it work. Can you take the projector apart and flip the shield so it's correct for right hand drive? If not, Morimoto projectors can be purchased with a RHD shield so the cutoff is correct. Those are super easy to install too.
Yeah I've cut the turn signal bezel and I think it's fine now. Actually that space behind the headlight was one of my concerns. Maybe I'll just figure out some kind of cap for the bulb holder and stick with my original plan.

The shields in the projectors are LHD like they're suppose to be. The thing here was to change the light pattern from RHD (original HID's) to LHD (projectors).
Old 05-14-13, 08:09 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

I think it's a little different to search through the internet for something like this than to read what is the main idea of this topic
no need to search the vast info on the internet....its been covered on here many many times

here's your freebie....

all 1998-2005 headlights will interchange but there are differences. the 1998-2000 model has a chrome bezel, 2001+ inside has a green tint on the bezel. there were 1998-2000 models made with auto leveling HID systems (if the car came OEM with HIDS it also had OEM yellow capsuled fogs) so yes all the headlights will interchange but if you dont use the HID model ones you will through the auto leveling light on the dash
Old 05-14-13, 09:55 AM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

I think it's a little different to search through the internet for something like this than to read what is the main idea of this topic (there aren't so many posts from me and it says right in the first post why I'm doing this project). I was already in a bad/wrong mood before answering and I did say sorry to ThomasGS4.

Thanks for the answer though even if it wasn't a straight answer.

Yeah I've cut the turn signal bezel and I think it's fine now. Actually that space behind the headlight was one of my concerns. Maybe I'll just figure out some kind of cap for the bulb holder and stick with my original plan.

The shields in the projectors are LHD like they're suppose to be. The thing here was to change the light pattern from RHD (original HID's) to LHD (projectors).
Here's a link to someone else's retrofit that shows how he made an extension to the cap on the back of the headlight.
Old 05-14-13, 11:42 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Here's a link to someone else's retrofit that shows how he made an extension to the cap on the back of the headlight.
you forgot the link Chris
Old 05-14-13, 11:10 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
no need to search the vast info on the internet....its been covered on here many many times

here's your freebie....

all 1998-2005 headlights will interchange but there are differences. the 1998-2000 model has a chrome bezel, 2001+ inside has a green tint on the bezel. there were 1998-2000 models made with auto leveling HID systems (if the car came OEM with HIDS it also had OEM yellow capsuled fogs) so yes all the headlights will interchange but if you dont use the HID model ones you will through the auto leveling light on the dash
Thank you for that info.
Actually what I meant (but didn't ask for some stupid reason) is that are the mounting points the same. That did answer my question.
I knew about those different versions (HID/halogen, green tint/no tint).

I have those annoying yellow fogs which will be upgraded into single/double projector fogs or just plain and simple clear fogs.

Waiting patiently for the link.

Edit: I found out TRS has these rubber housing caps. I think I'll just order them.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=4649

Last edited by Lutkis; 05-14-13 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-15-13, 11:06 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Here are some testfitting pictures. This setup is without the original chrome background bezel and shows how far out the projector comes without it.
There's not much room to play with.

My own patent to keep the same distance between the brackets. I'll have to extend those bolts to give the xenon bulb holder more room in the back.
You can also see how little the shroud covers the hole. I'll need to figure something to fill those sides, any ideas?

Quick Reply: GS430 retrofit project