GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What did you do to your GS today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 06:42 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SynDragon
So I have pulled the Seat , easy, and taken off 1 piece of Carpet Trim, but I am bit hesitant to take off a bunch of trim , not worried about getting it OFF but with 20 year old clips etc they tend to break off vs come off nice. Took me longer to get the seat bolt covers off then the seat, and 2 cracked on the way off. Not a big deal but don't want to bring up carpet and then have it look like a sack of loose skin from there on out... Debating cutting a small hole or two to dry out the underlay similar to one that was done for the seat cabling. Anyone pulled carpets and put them back clean?
New headlight lenses.

You can pull the carpet and shampoo it. Just be mindful that you’ll need to really let it dry throughly (preferably by laying it out in the hot summer sun for day) to prevent mildue.
Youll also up you level of confidence by duing so. It’s not hard to do; just put the bolts in a bag and label them so you know what goes where when it’s time to reinstall.
Old 03-20-19, 06:55 AM
n1ck
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Got my LS calipers painted up! Just need to find some rotors and decide what to do with the brake lines and I'll be ready to put them in.

Old 03-20-19, 08:42 AM
dreamcar88
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

new coils fml, rewired ig wires and loom, new donor engine. Waiting on ig coil clips than should be good, oh also new rear calipers! this entire has broke in the past year fml. Can anyone help me find some clear headlights i can buy. I have green non halogens now. What all do i need to do. Noone will help me figure out if its worth it. Can anyone point me in the right direction. My entire is redone except my headlights and its pissing me off. Ive rebuffed them for years and they are 2 far gone.

Last edited by dreamcar88; 03-20-19 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-20-19, 10:22 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by n1ck
Got my LS calipers painted up! Just need to find some rotors and decide what to do with the brake lines and I'll be ready to put them in.

Good job on painting the calipers. Since you have to open the lines may I suggest you go with ss braided line such as Stoptech or Goodridge. I heard the EBC pads are very good you might want to try those if you do not have pads yet.
Old 03-20-19, 04:08 PM
n1ck
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
Good job on painting the calipers. Since you have to open the lines may I suggest you go with ss braided line such as Stoptech or Goodridge. I heard the EBC pads are very good you might want to try those if you do not have pads yet.
Thanks! I got some EBC Reds sitting right next to me. Considering their slotted rotors as well but they're a bit pricey.
Thanks for the tip on the brake lines!! Thats exactly what I was looking for, I'll definitely be getting a set.
Old 03-20-19, 08:21 PM
ksu1998
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looked at it

Old 03-21-19, 07:04 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
The Stoptech SS lines are very reasonably priced on rock auto and have been great for 3 years for me. Its probably time to replace them soon since SS lines don't last forever

Originally Posted by n1ck
Thanks! I got some EBC Reds sitting right next to me. Considering their slotted rotors as well but they're a bit pricey.
Thanks for the tip on the brake lines!! Thats exactly what I was looking for, I'll definitely be getting a set.
The EBC reds were one of the best things I put on my car. Excellent initial bite even in the cold, low dust, and a ton of stopping power. A bit pricey but that's all I'll be buying in the future for my DD. Totally worth it
The following users liked this post:
n1ck (03-21-19)
Old 03-21-19, 07:24 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 377 Posts

Agreed^^^ stainless steel lines are sexy and everything, but are much more prone to leakage and the fittings never can compare to the OEM rubber pressure clamped lines. I use them on my CBR1000rr , but you can see them every time you approach the bike. Under the car, not so much. I'd stay away from them for a strictly daily driven car. Just my opinion.
Old 03-21-19, 07:35 AM
dreamcar88
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

got some new hood struts, tired of getting molly whopped when im checking oil and other sht
Old 03-21-19, 08:07 AM
captainva
Instructor

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
Agreed^^^ stainless steel lines are sexy and everything, but are much more prone to leakage and the fittings never can compare to the OEM rubber pressure clamped lines. I use them on my CBR1000rr , but you can see them every time you approach the bike. Under the car, not so much. I'd stay away from them for a strictly daily driven car. Just my opinion.
I went into it knowing that and to me $100 every 5 years isn't bad. They're not showing any signs of wear externally currently but with brakes better safe than sorry
Old 03-21-19, 08:11 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
The Stoptech SS lines are very reasonably priced on rock auto and have been great for 3 years for me. Its probably time to replace them soon since SS lines don't last forever

The EBC reds were one of the best things I put on my car. Excellent initial bite even in the cold, low dust, and a ton of stopping power. A bit pricey but that's all I'll be buying in the future for my DD. Totally worth it
How much are those EBC reds going for? I got some soft no name pads and the dust is crazy.
Old 03-21-19, 08:48 AM
captainva
Instructor

I got my pads on Amazon for $65 for each set when the price dipped like crazy for some reason one day. They're usually like $100-120 front and $90-100 rear though. You get what you pay for
Old 03-23-19, 12:27 AM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
3 years is nothing. I been running GoodRidge SS brake lines on my Supra since 2007 plus they have a lifetime warranty but those brake lines from that company have been proven to last a long time.

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
I would recommend buying a better brand if your SS line is not lasting. I have seen cheap no name ebay ones leak within 1 month of use but the GoodRidge SS lines I have in my other vehicle has been 11+ years with a nice firm brake pedal. I just helped my friend install a set of GoodRidge SS lines on his 99 GS300 last year and the installation was super easy using all the factory hardware too. Now his Lexus has a slightly more firmer brake pedal but I do have to say the GS300 in the factory form does have a nice solid brake pedal feel and a very good response.
Old 03-24-19, 12:27 PM
SynDragon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphaman19

New headlight lenses.

You can pull the carpet and shampoo it. Just be mindful that you’ll need to really let it dry throughly (preferably by laying it out in the hot summer sun for day) to prevent mildue.
Youll also up you level of confidence by duing so. It’s not hard to do; just put the bolts in a bag and label them so you know what goes where when it’s time to reinstall.
Okay well what I did was just pull up the passenger side front which gives me access to the whole underside. Took off the very front, right side with the fuses, the passenger door trim (left the pillar in) this gives you a about a 4 foor section you can lift up and from there access the entire side. I then put some stuff under the carpet to keep it up and then ran Fans / Hair Dryers for 3 days to completely dry out the under-padding till I could not feel any moisture anywhere. Then I gave the whole thing a light spray of Lysol and dried that out. So nothing was moldy, even wet it stayed ok, no bacteria I guess, my body is also painted BLACK so looks very nice compared to the white ones I have seen. So carpet and underlay is bone dry now only smells a little like fresh scent Lysol.

I also got my back bumper painted. and took it to the shop for quick inspection of the superstition it looks fine as I already did lower ball jts and control arms. I could do the UPPER control arms but not sure if I should nothing really wrong with them.

Going to drive and buff out the headlights.

Need to find some Door Actuators - there seems to be TONS on Ebay - which ones are OK to get anyone know?

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from...gs400&_sacat=0

Wild range from $15 to $200
Old 03-27-19, 07:06 AM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Just picked her up yesterday, didn't have time to take pics of her, but these are from the shop before the PPI.

I think first up on the agenda is get rid of the oxidation on the headlights. Then hopefully get my detailing tools from the states soon so I can correct the paint.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?