GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Loud Squeak while turning...Need Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-12, 06:15 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Loud Squeak while turning...Need Opinions

Hey guys. I hit a couple of pot holes this past weekend and now I think I may have some issues. For the River Oaks area to be so nice, the roads are shi**y here!! Alabama roads are much better. On my way to work I noticed that my steering column made a creak/squeak noise while turning. My car never did this before until the incident. After hearing this, I turned off the radio and started paying attention. As I was entering the parking garage at work this morning, the steering made a loud squeak while turning. The noise is very similar to the noise bushings make when they need grease. The rusty, squeak noise. After parking, I got out and started bouncing my car on both fenders trying to replicate the noise, no squeak; but I heard the noise slightly as I went over the train tracks...go figure. It only makes this noise while turning currently. I knew something was wrong because I noticed that my steering was slightly harder to turn...wasn't as fluid as it typically is. Probably why I have the column creak/squeak. Maybe the problem with the suspension is causing the column noise? I'm going to try to get it to a mechanic in the area and let them put it on the rack to see what is going on.

What do you guys think it is based on your experience? I've only been involved with the GS family for slightly over a year. I had the same noise with my Q45, but once I sprayed the bushings with grease, the noise went away. I hope I didn't damage something with the horrible roads in the area.

The only suspension work I've done is replace the lbj's and outer tie rods on both sides. I have not replaced the sway bar bushings, steering rack bushings (which I don’t think has anything to do with steering noise, just rack movement…??) or caster arm bushings aka lower control arm #2 at this point. I will get this looked at quickly because it's embarrassing for my car to make such a loud noise and look the way it does.
Old 12-03-12, 08:03 AM
ILL05GS
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

is the noise coming from inside or outside?
Old 12-03-12, 08:20 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

It's coming from the outside. I heard it once I was in the garage with the windows down. It's loud enough for someone to turn around and notice if heard. the steering wheel creek is in the inside
Old 12-03-12, 09:18 AM
ILL05GS
Driver

so you have 2 noises? the steering wheel and presumably the steering shaft?
Old 12-03-12, 09:26 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

True. I hope that it's just bushings that can be sprayed to stop the noise. I have an appointment this Friday to put it on the rack to see what is going on. What do you think based on the description above?
Old 12-03-12, 09:56 AM
ILL05GS
Driver

the noise on the inside is an easy grease fix, the noise under the hood can be many things steering associated, so you are taking the correct step to take it to a shop and get it pinpointed
Old 12-03-12, 10:14 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by ILL05GS
the noise on the inside is an easy grease fix, the noise under the hood can be many things steering associated, so you are taking the correct step to take it to a shop and get it pinpointed
Yep, I've read about the dealer greasing the column to get rid of the noise. That will be done this Friday. Yes, I need to make sure that this is fixed quickly.
Old 12-09-12, 05:38 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Just to update this thread...if anyone cares. The loud squeaking was coming from my Moog ljb. I needed to add grease. After grease was added, the noise went away. The mechanic stated that the boot was torn a bit so grease was seeping out. I think maybe too much grease was added initally to the pass lbj. I have 15k on both moog lbj's now. I will just keep adding grease since he stated that the ljb was very tight, no play. The lexus independent wanted to charge me $627 to replace both ljb with OEM, including alignment. Hell, I may as well go to the dealer for that type of price! Clear Choice is the name of the place in Houston. They charge $159/hr for labor.

I also found a thread showing how to grease the steering column (the power of Google Search using club lexus). I greased all of the mechanical parts in the column, also spraying where the column comes into the firewall and it still didn't cure the noise while turning. I'm happy because I've greased a lot of things so it should be good for time to come. I think my noise is coming from behind the airbag...sound like something is rubbing right behind that.
Old 12-09-12, 05:42 PM
ILL05GS
Driver

Replacing the ball joints on these cars is very easy! And FYI you dont absolutely have to have an alignment done, theres very little chance that your settings will change by replacing ball joints. The spiral cable behind your airbag might be making noise.
Old 12-10-12, 06:02 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

^^^ Yeah, I've read a lot about the coil. I don't want to mess with the air bag so I will just deal with it. With the music up, I don't hear it, but I'm **** about my car so I wanted to cure it. Yes you are right about the lbjs...I"ve read the DYI and it looks simple...but I still don't want to try it personally. Heck I'm afraid to even do the DIY for the actuators.
Old 12-11-12, 06:56 AM
ILL05GS
Driver

Well, to be fair it's easier with a lift and air tools. At home I can see the bolts being a pain to break loose by hand. DIY for actuators? Which actuators?