GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ticket for "illegal" side marker

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-12, 12:05 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
Wow, that is beyond pathetic. Which is another reason i had my bumper reflectors shaved off and painted to give it a clean look.
You would get a ticket then
Old 11-10-12, 03:54 PM
bashigs300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sam12345
You would get a ticket then
not really because cops won't know there is supposed to be a light on the bumper.
Old 11-10-12, 06:48 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bashigs300
not really because cops won't know there is supposed to be a light on the bumper.
If you have no side reflector you are illegal. If they see no side amber reflector they can give you a ticket. Of course I agree most won't notice
Old 11-10-12, 06:49 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Mmmmm there are a **** load of cars that dont have side markers on the front bumper and/or fender right out the factory. Actually most cars dont have side markers in the bumpers or fenders. Blinkers in the headlights but even a 2009 nissan altima has that blinker where ours are.

I cant agree with u saying no side marker is illegal and i doubt anyone on here who has shaved theirs can say they got a ticket for it. Dunno bro sounds out there

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 11-10-12 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-11-12, 05:49 AM
pandino
Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
Mmmmm there are a **** load of cars that dont have side markers on the front bumper and/or fender right out the factory. Actually most cars dont have side markers in the bumpers or fenders. Blinkers in the headlights but even a 2009 nissan altima has that blinker where ours are.

I cant agree with u saying no side marker is illegal and i doubt anyone on here who has shaved theirs can say they got a ticket for it. Dunno bro sounds out there
Every car sold in the US requires side markers front and rear. Some markers design them into the bumpers as on the 2nd generation GS but a lot of them integrate them in the headlight and taillight assemblies. The 2009 Nissan Altima is one such vehicle. The amber reflector in the headlight assembly is designed to reflect light from the side. Check out the side profile picture, number 7, on the attached link. You can easily see the amber reflector on the front headlight and the red reflector on the rear taillights assembly.

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/altima/2009/
Old 11-11-12, 08:21 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Alright... If we are simply saying all cars must have something reflecting from a side angle then i get it. So that makes this ticket even more dumb because the GS is one of very few with the only orange is in the inner most part of the headlight other than the bumper. I can like 90% agree that my previous post was kinda wrong lol but only because i was talking fenders and bumpers and the headlight from the altima i looked at wast the same as ur edmunds post.

Idk - how about these body kits that do away with the marker? I have led mirrors so it still wouldnt be an issue... OP i'll still trade you for my clear ones if u need to change them out. Now that i think of it i guess having clear with led wedges would be the same ticket right? Cause its not reflecting orange when its off obviously.
Old 11-11-12, 10:17 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Not all vehicles have separated sidemakers like our 2GS....some are built into the headlights.

In Hawaii, they need to be amber in color. I heard ppl getting tickets on the clear sidemarkers.
Old 11-11-12, 03:54 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
Alright... If we are simply saying all cars must have something reflecting from a side angle then i get it. So that makes this ticket even more dumb because the GS is one of very few with the only orange is in the inner most part of the headlight other than the bumper. I can like 90% agree that my previous post was kinda wrong lol but only because i was talking fenders and bumpers and the headlight from the altima i looked at wast the same as ur edmunds post.

Idk - how about these body kits that do away with the marker? I have led mirrors so it still wouldnt be an issue... OP i'll still trade you for my clear ones if u need to change them out. Now that i think of it i guess having clear with led wedges would be the same ticket right? Cause its not reflecting orange when its off obviously.
I think white or amber are legal but it must reflect light from a low beam detectable from at least 100ft not 100% sure if it has to be amber in Texas.

Your mirror may not qualify because it has to be from a certain distance of the corner of your car. You need to look it up for your state.
Old 11-11-12, 03:58 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I got the same one with no problems. TX is that strict then CA? wow
In CA the side marker must be amber in color so of a cop needs to meet a quota they can ticket you
Old 12-06-12, 08:53 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

I went to court today. I showed the judge the side marker and he imediately dismissed it. Then he told me to never commit another hanis crime like that as he laughed.
Old 12-06-12, 10:55 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sam12345
I went to court today. I showed the judge the side marker and he imediately dismissed it. Then he told me to never commit another hanis crime like that as he laughed.
Rofl, cool, but yea my brother has a 2003 acura cl type s, I was looking at his new front bumper they put on because he smacked a pole, and as I'm looking at it I go, wtf is this the right bumper? He said yea why? I said because you have no side markers it's illegal! Nobody can see you from the side, he told me its always been like that when he even bought the car, so I got on kbb to see pics of his car, sure enough their are no side markers on his front bumper nor anywhere else that I could see.. So I have no clue how the police go about depicting which cars have them and which don't.....
Old 12-06-12, 11:47 PM
BCHDAZ
Pole Position

so... from what im reading, my STOCK JDM side-marker's would be illegail over there as the do not reflect?

that's just crazy!

Last edited by BCHDAZ; 12-07-12 at 03:42 AM. Reason: repair photo link
Old 12-07-12, 03:18 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
I have the same ones. And if I'm not mistaken they are stamped DOT. I would double check but if they are I would dispute the ticket and tell that cop to suck it.
Word I agree! Tell them to suck it!! (Degeneration X voice)

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 12-07-12, 03:56 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
Rofl, cool, but yea my brother has a 2003 acura cl type s, I was looking at his new front bumper they put on because he smacked a pole, and as I'm looking at it I go, wtf is this the right bumper? He said yea why? I said because you have no side markers it's illegal! Nobody can see you from the side, he told me its always been like that when he even bought the car, so I got on kbb to see pics of his car, sure enough their are no side markers on his front bumper nor anywhere else that I could see.. So I have no clue how the police go about depicting which cars have them and which don't.....
Most cars have the side marker inside the headlight lens. It is amber in color

http://damox.com/cars/wallpaper/Acur..._S_concept.htm

Last edited by sam12345; 12-07-12 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-07-12, 03:59 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BCHDAZ
so... from what im reading, my STOCK JDM side-marker's would be illegail over there as the do not reflect?

that's just crazy!
Your side marker is amber so it would be legal but it may be too far from the corner

Quick Reply: Ticket for "illegal" side marker