ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005-184/)
-   -   Fender Color matching issue - [pics] (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/657804-fender-color-matching-issue-pics.html)

Champstar 09-29-12 12:39 PM

Fender Color matching issue - [pics]

Hi all,

I'm getting a brand new fender painted and all (purchased online) I gave the shop my color code, and for extra security I will ship them a piece of the paint so it will be accurately color matched. My question is, what part of my gs can I send to them for a color math? I've tried to chip my damaged fender's paint, but it just scratches and not chips. I've thought about whethr cutting a peice off the bottom of the front bumper, or maybe dremmel a small piece of the fender?
Do you have any suggestions? any would help.

I'll post a pic of the fender shortly
Thanks in advance

Champstar 09-29-12 12:42 PM

Pic of damage

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMAG1148.jpg

LuxuryGS3 09-29-12 01:55 PM

The problem with having them paint it prior to getting it on the car is that it'll be mismatched because your paint needs to be blended in around the area so that it does not stick out, so since you're getting a whole fender it's going to mismatch a bit with your door/hood/front bumper since its not being painted on your car and blended in with the paint around it.

I'd just get it sent to you ready for paint then have a reputable shop do the painting/blending.

nyc80rick 09-29-12 02:57 PM

From the looks of the damage your bumper needs to be painted anyways. I can't tell from the pictures if its just white or pearl white. If its just white it will be better to have it at a shop and they can match the color while the car is in there hands and just paint the fender. If its pearl white it will need to be blended to other panels to match the color right. If you still insist on just painting the fender I normally would get customers to leave there gas lid door. so just ship him that and make sure he sends it back with the fender. If I was you I would get it painted locally so if you have any problems you know who to go and talk to in person.

repugnante 09-29-12 03:06 PM

Just give them the code. If they are a respectable shop, they will already know to blend the surrounding areas

nyc80rick 09-29-12 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by repugnante (Post 7513150)
Just give them the code. If they are a respectable shop, they will already know to blend the surrounding areas

If I read it correctly he's buying the fender online shipped to him painted. then I guess putting it on himself. thats the reason I told him to just purchase a fender and take it to a local shop that people recommend to do business face to face.

speedaddic 09-29-12 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by repugnante (Post 7513150)

:uh: how can they blend surrounding parts without the car there? :dunno: He's "mail" ordering a painted fender.

That's not a good idea at all.

repugnante 09-30-12 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by speedaddic (Post 7513423)
:uh: how can they blend surrounding parts without the car there? :dunno: He's "mail" ordering a painted fender.

That's not a good idea at all.

Yea, obviously the car has to be there. MY point was that when they have the painted fender whether he has it shipped to the shop or to his residence and he delivers it to the shop, they will have the code and when he arrives with the car, they will install the fender and blend the surrounding areas.

Now my personal advice to the OP is to have the shop order the fender for you so its delivered to them. Once the fender has arrived, then deliver the car and have them do the work

Champstar 09-30-12 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3 (Post 7513078)
The problem with having them paint it prior to getting it on the car is that it'll be mismatched because your paint needs to be blended in around the area so that it does not stick out, so since you're getting a whole fender it's going to mismatch a bit with your door/hood/front bumper since its not being painted on your car and blended in with the paint around it.

I'd just get it sent to you ready for paint then have a reputable shop do the painting/blending.

That makes sense. I thought all they need is the color code to match the paint, but I think I;ll give them a try. They have pretty good feedback from other lexus owners, and money back guarantee. I'm going to ship them the small panel at the edge of the fender overnight so I shoulf have everything back next week. I'll update with the results

Lazy 09-30-12 01:48 PM

Gas cover to color match it