GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Fender Color matching issue - [pics]

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-12, 12:39 PM
Champstar
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fender Color matching issue - [pics]

Hi all,

I'm getting a brand new fender painted and all (purchased online) I gave the shop my color code, and for extra security I will ship them a piece of the paint so it will be accurately color matched. My question is, what part of my gs can I send to them for a color math? I've tried to chip my damaged fender's paint, but it just scratches and not chips. I've thought about whethr cutting a peice off the bottom of the front bumper, or maybe dremmel a small piece of the fender?
Do you have any suggestions? any would help.

I'll post a pic of the fender shortly
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Champstar; 09-29-12 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-29-12, 12:42 PM
Champstar
Pit Crew

Pic of damage

Old 09-29-12, 01:55 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem with having them paint it prior to getting it on the car is that it'll be mismatched because your paint needs to be blended in around the area so that it does not stick out, so since you're getting a whole fender it's going to mismatch a bit with your door/hood/front bumper since its not being painted on your car and blended in with the paint around it.

I'd just get it sent to you ready for paint then have a reputable shop do the painting/blending.
Old 09-29-12, 02:57 PM
nyc80rick
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

From the looks of the damage your bumper needs to be painted anyways. I can't tell from the pictures if its just white or pearl white. If its just white it will be better to have it at a shop and they can match the color while the car is in there hands and just paint the fender. If its pearl white it will need to be blended to other panels to match the color right. If you still insist on just painting the fender I normally would get customers to leave there gas lid door. so just ship him that and make sure he sends it back with the fender. If I was you I would get it painted locally so if you have any problems you know who to go and talk to in person.
Old 09-29-12, 03:06 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just give them the code. If they are a respectable shop, they will already know to blend the surrounding areas
Old 09-29-12, 06:38 PM
nyc80rick
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by repugnante
Just give them the code. If they are a respectable shop, they will already know to blend the surrounding areas
If I read it correctly he's buying the fender online shipped to him painted. then I guess putting it on himself. thats the reason I told him to just purchase a fender and take it to a local shop that people recommend to do business face to face.
Old 09-29-12, 06:40 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by repugnante
how can they blend surrounding parts without the car there? He's "mail" ordering a painted fender.

That's not a good idea at all.
Old 09-30-12, 08:03 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
how can they blend surrounding parts without the car there? He's "mail" ordering a painted fender.

That's not a good idea at all.
Yea, obviously the car has to be there. MY point was that when they have the painted fender whether he has it shipped to the shop or to his residence and he delivers it to the shop, they will have the code and when he arrives with the car, they will install the fender and blend the surrounding areas.

Now my personal advice to the OP is to have the shop order the fender for you so its delivered to them. Once the fender has arrived, then deliver the car and have them do the work

Last edited by repugnante; 09-30-12 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-30-12, 11:44 AM
Champstar
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
The problem with having them paint it prior to getting it on the car is that it'll be mismatched because your paint needs to be blended in around the area so that it does not stick out, so since you're getting a whole fender it's going to mismatch a bit with your door/hood/front bumper since its not being painted on your car and blended in with the paint around it.

I'd just get it sent to you ready for paint then have a reputable shop do the painting/blending.
That makes sense. I thought all they need is the color code to match the paint, but I think I;ll give them a try. They have pretty good feedback from other lexus owners, and money back guarantee. I'm going to ship them the small panel at the edge of the fender overnight so I shoulf have everything back next week. I'll update with the results
Old 09-30-12, 01:48 PM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gas cover to color match it