GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

*DIY* SIMPLE EASY NO FUSS AUX INPUT for factory headunit

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-12, 09:27 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99GSThree
Jay did the mod to my radio a week or so back....works well.
The only issue i have is that when i have it plugged in at the same time i am charging my iPhone,i get some noticeable alternator whine through the speakers. As soon as i unplug the charger from the phone,it goes away. This did not happen when i was using the cassette type adapter. Not really a deal breaker,i just turn up the volume louder. And yes,like others have said,turn down the volume on your device when the aux is plugged in or it will be distorted. If you have used the cassette type input before,you will know this is the same.
Does anyone else who did this mod have this problem? I would imagine that most of the time that I would have my iPhone plugged into the AUX jack, that I'd be charging it at the same time.

Do the other DIY methods of installing an AUX jack have this same issue?

Also, what does the AUX jack look like before it's installed, and where are you guys buying them? I'm not sure what I should be looking for...

Thanks.
Old 11-14-12, 10:06 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

So the AUX jack works here, would the radio still work normally if I left the AUX cable plugged in to the jack all the time? Or do I need to unplug it from the AUX jack in order for the radio to work?
Old 11-18-12, 06:51 AM
ksoazn
Driver

do you lose FM function ?
Old 11-18-12, 10:01 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Intellexual
Does anyone else who did this mod have this problem? I would imagine that most of the time that I would have my iPhone plugged into the AUX jack, that I'd be charging it at the same time.

Do the other DIY methods of installing an AUX jack have this same issue?

Also, what does the AUX jack look like before it's installed, and where are you guys buying them? I'm not sure what I should be looking for...

Thanks.
Run the ground from your lighter that you are using as a charger to the bolt that holds the amplifier. You have a ground loop
Old 11-21-12, 01:19 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sam12345
Run the ground from your lighter that you are using as a charger to the bolt that holds the amplifier. You have a ground loop
Thanks!

So the AUX jack works here, would the radio still work normally if I left the AUX cable plugged in to the jack all the time? Or do I need to unplug it from the AUX jack in order for the radio to work?
Does anyone know the answer to this question? It looks like the AUX jack is a switch of some sort that is activated when the cable is plugged in to it? In that case what would happen if the cable is always plugged into the AUX jack, but not always connected to the iPhone on the other end?

Where are you guys buying this thing and is there a part #?
Old 11-22-12, 07:11 PM
Buhrt
Driver School Candidate

Radioshack should have jack you need, that's where I got mine. Part number 274-0246. They call them 1/8" phone jacks.
Old 11-24-12, 08:43 PM
JayNunu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK.. the Headphone jack used in both DIY's is a 3, I repeat THREE conductor switch. Which means: 3 parts. LEFT, RIGHT, and GROUND. There is not a Right + Right - Left + Left - Ground. It is only RIGHT LEFT GROUND. There is a Right IN, a Right OUT, Left IN, Left OUT, and GROUND. When you plug in your headphone plug, it disengages the FM input and makes contact with the headphone plug. The FM and the headphone use the same OUTPUT of the audio jack. When not plugged in, the FM signal goes through the audio jack, when plugged in, the FM is shut off, and the headphone signal is connected.

Here is the RDS unit circuit board for anyone who wants to do it to theirs.
Name:  2001pioneerHU.jpg
Views: 1939
Size:  194.8 KB

The yellow lines (right of the "R" and left of the "L") are where you need to cut the traces on the board to let the FM signal go through the switch.
Old 11-24-12, 08:45 PM
JayNunu
Rookie

No, the radio (AM/FM) will not play if the headphone plug is plugged in.

Still haven't had anyone send me a NAK or newer unit, but I am sure I will be able to find a way to do those. Just waiting.
Old 12-03-12, 01:06 PM
JayNunu
Rookie

Still Waiting on a NAK unit...
Old 12-12-12, 01:35 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

Originally Posted by adamgamz

Originally Posted by JayNunu
You are very welcome! Took a little longer than I wanted it to due to getting a nasty sinus infection that kicked my butt, but it turned out really nice. I was happy that I was able to fit the jack above the "RDS".

And for everyone else with the newer HU, I will be posting pictures tomorrow after work to show you where to solder the leads.

Again... If anyone wants to send me the NAK unit, I am more than willing to figure that out as well.

And so I don't get myself in trouble by "selling a service", I am doing this for free for members to help let others enjoy what I have figured out.
This aux input on the radio looks beautiful. Looks flush and completely stock. Nothing stands out of the ordinary!

Jay, can you please help me out with some instructions on how you installed the aux input into the oem stereo like in the picture above? what tools/process. I've never done it and im looking to do it to my oem hu, but i am extremely afraid of messing up drilling in the mod process and completely defacing my radio.

if its not too much trouble some help on how to get the aux input like you did in the above would be greatly apprecaited!!! thanks and great job in the work above.
Old 12-14-12, 04:49 PM
JayNunu
Rookie

Robertoyou,
It was actually pretty easy to install the AUX plug in the face of the HU. All you have to do is cut a couple plastic braces on the back of the face behind where you want it and drill a hole. When you put the face back together make sure you don't pinch the wires.

Also, I am getting a Navi HU from my friend, so I will update everyone with what I find out about that one as well.

Last edited by JayNunu; 12-14-12 at 04:51 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 12-14-12, 04:58 PM
vipXjunky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JayNunu
Robertoyou,
It was actually pretty easy to install the AUX plug in the face of the HU. All you have to do is cut a couple plastic braces on the back of the face behind where you want it and drill a hole. When you put the face back together make sure you don't pinch the wires.

Also, I am getting a Navi HU from my friend, so I will update everyone with what I find out about that one as well.
NICEEEEEEEEE i hope its the ML unit.
Old 12-18-12, 05:41 AM
Mumble88
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for posting up this diy. It was so easy to follow and it sounds great!
Old 12-18-12, 11:04 AM
yginesta
Driver School Candidate

Did mine and came out great. Great DIY!!! Id be willing to do this for people for like 20 bucks if they ship me their head units and pay for return shipment.

I love this mod!!!
Old 12-26-12, 11:06 PM
JayNunu
Rookie

Originally Posted by yginesta
Did mine and came out great. Great DIY!!! Id be willing to do this for people for like 20 bucks if they ship me their head units and pay for return shipment.

I love this mod!!!
Thanks for the positive feedback, but I would suggest reading the rules of the forum. Unless you are a vendor it is against the rules to charge for a service, like doing this for a member for a fee. I have offered to do it for free, all anyone has to do is pay for return shipping.

Quick Reply: *DIY* SIMPLE EASY NO FUSS AUX INPUT for factory headunit