GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is it me or the JZS160 is a huge pile of crap!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-12, 03:04 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You really cant be serious with your list... Can you? EVERY car regardless of who makes it, will have issues specific to that particular car.., cars are made by humans after all, and no one manufacturer can get everything perfect.

Your harsh climate surely plays a large factor in your issues, but I would take the issues you have had, over some other manufacturers issues...

Buy a Mercedes, BMW, Audi and see how long that list of complaints get... The problems you have had a miniscule compared to other brands...
Old 09-22-12, 03:39 PM
carbuddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Iam rockin 257k mils on mine , I even bought a replacement for it (03 LS430) and i just sold the LS last month because it wasn't being driven .

If i have to do it all over again maybe i would get the GS430 for more power!
WOW 257K thats impressive. How much rust does it have and is it parked on your lawn? lol
Old 09-22-12, 04:17 PM
showtymers
Driver

id have to say .. i think its was mercedes that did the.. we can have 5 people sit on the door
thats there Over engineering .. now you think.. who sits on the door like that even 1 person.. i think they are over engineering the wrong things.. i dont know about you but yes German car companies dont rely on US sales.. but the rest of the world (i guess not all but alot)uses mercedes and bmw as there taxi not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing you pick
Old 09-22-12, 04:28 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by showtymers
id have to say .. i think its was mercedes that did the.. we can have 5 people sit on the door
thats there Over engineering .. now you think.. who sits on the door like that even 1 person.. i think they are over engineering the wrong things.. i dont know about you but yes German car companies dont rely on US sales.. but the rest of the world (i guess not all but alot)uses mercedes and bmw as there taxi not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing you pick

Thats true... But the same repairs in europe are cheaper because they know those cars like americans know chevys. That combined with the fact that parts are more plentiful and most of the models are more stripped down across the pond, parts, service is definitely cheaper.
Old 09-22-12, 04:36 PM
rwdfreak
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again I'm comparing with other cars we've owned in the family that all had more mileage or were older. I've never changed any wheel bearing on any other car we've owned except the Celica and that was more preventive maintenance than a real need. I've never changed any door lock. I've changed ball joints, but not on cars that had less than 150 000miles on the clock. I 've replaced a brake cylinder on the pickup truck but that was at 180 000miles. I've never changed any suspension bushings except for urethane upgrade and the rubber were still fine. My uncle's 4runner is at 260k miles still running on factory ball joint steering components and wheel bearings. Ive never changed any parking brake even on my 4runner that made it to the 300 000miles club. On a Toyota I do not consider these parts as being normal maintenance.

Well I guess my family have been lucky with the cars we've owned, because within two years I tink that's a lot of money spent (over 2 grand in parts alone sourced at the cheapest price possible) on a car that had a professionnal inspection (done by **** peoples).

Oh and I just ot back from a day of tearing up the car nd guess what it's not water tight, I have a leak on the passenger side (probably where the heater air pick up gutter, firewall and a pillar meet)

Still I like that car, but for sure the next car I buy will come form somewere warm or will have been stored during winter
Old 09-22-12, 04:51 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by carbuddy
WOW 257K thats impressive. How much rust does it have and is it parked on your lawn? lol
Zero rust my friend!

Op how many miles on your GS?
Old 09-22-12, 06:14 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I do like old celicas, got any pics or links to your uz build?
Old 09-22-12, 06:16 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Iam rockin 257k mils on mine , I even bought a replacement for it (03 LS430) and i just sold the LS last month because it wasn't being driven .

If i have to do it all over again maybe i would get the GS430 for more power!
yessir!!!

ive got about 230k on mine. normal wear and tear but nothing outta the ordinary. hell...my fiance's G37S has been in the shop more than mine.

btw...this is the 2nd one that i've had. so that should tell you what i think of these cars.
Old 09-22-12, 09:31 PM
showtymers
Driver

you know you might have just gotten one of them... where the QUALITY inspections was on a bad day LOL or might have been made on the day after japans holiday just saying
Old 09-22-12, 09:47 PM
2GSC300
Lead Lap

Sounds like you got a poorly maintained and/or cared for car. Blame the previous owner. The ball joints are a common problem, but what car doesn't have its issues
Old 09-22-12, 10:01 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2GSC300
Sounds like you got a poorly maintained and/or cared for car. Blame the previous owner. The ball joints are a common problem, but what car doesn't have its issues
exactly!!!

its really hard to indict a manufacturer when youre buying a car 2nd hand....
Old 09-22-12, 10:40 PM
rwdfreak
Driver School Candidate

Link for the build
Long version:
http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php?topic=15345.0

Short version: http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?54385-Finaly-revealing-my-UZA65-project

Vid on the dyno (good sound clip): http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FGVGRzJUJNo

I'd say I'm just pissed because I bought a lemon. The car was resprayed and there's a bunch of suspicious things about that car. That and the fact that it doesn't pull enough. I should have gotten my self that GS400 I test drove. I wasn't sure if was better with a 1uz or a 2Jz given the turbo upgrade option. I fell for the lower mileage and fresh paint.

I'm usualy really good to pick cars, but apparently not for my self (it's that moment when passion takes over rationnality). The only good car I have no regret that I bought is the Celica. 8years later it's still special and even though it is now more a race beast then a street car, it's a pleasure to drive. I get compliments everywere I go.
Old 09-22-12, 11:39 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2GSC300
It's as simple as that, we'll said......goodnight ladies and Gents..

Last edited by DosyBoy; 09-22-12 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-23-12, 05:34 AM
2GSC300
Lead Lap

Also, you mentioned the car was painted......was it ever wrecked?
Old 09-23-12, 07:44 AM
rwdfreak
Driver School Candidate

Car fax did not show any reccord. I found glass debris in the passenger side front door. A-B-C pillars are factory paint, but there was some bondo work done on the rear fender(No sign of body damage from inside the trunk area, under the car and from inside the car.) It must have been a small fender bender or just a rust spot as for yhe broken window I don't have explanation othe than thieves.

I'm starting to think the speedo was backed up, but the interior condition and the undercar don't look like it has that much mileage. I know what an undercar looks like with twice the mileage.

Quick Reply: Is it me or the JZS160 is a huge pile of crap!?